Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How soon we forget « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

naplesbuc

Pro Bowler

#30 : December 24, 2006, 06:42:20 AM

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me (us).  GruAllen 1/3/08 upon termination

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#31 : December 24, 2006, 08:26:28 AM

This is what I can't understand.  We just signed a quarterback that got this season off to a terrible, terrible, start.  Again, we can make every excuse in the book as to why he did bad, but in the end, he did bad.  Gradkowski made Simms look good; wow!?  And to say he didn't get any playing time during pre-season is to admit that our coaching staff did a horrible job of preparing a very young QB to be a starter, but it's not their fault either?? 
I still hold to my opinion that much of the blame for the failure of the 2006 season falls on the shoulders of the head coach.  The same head coach that said Simms did not fit his system.  Many posters bring up what Simms did in 2005, yet PR said that Gruden knew that last year was a fluke and that this season would be a disaster(fab five.)  With not many FA veterans out there to pick from, and having to look at the possibility of drafting yet another young QB to be our franchise player, we resort to signing SImms to come back another season.  Again, it's not the money, it's the misguided direction of the front office and their decision making.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#32 : December 24, 2006, 08:33:50 AM

Bucsguru

I do not understand where you are coming from.  Even as an established HOJ (Hater of Jon) I do not see how offering a contract like this (I do not think the contract has been signed yet)  to a player demonstrates anything other than trying bring back another player to this team.  I see more positives in this potential moves then negatives in my opinion.  People are jumping the gun with an assumption that Simms is set in stone to start if he signs the contract that is being offered.  Just becuase they are trying to sign Simms it does not mean the Bucs will not pursue a QB through free agency.  If the Bucs fail to bring in a veteran QB though free agency I would be more inclined to agree with you but at this point it is premature to make your case.

#33 : December 24, 2006, 08:34:51 AM

Guru (sic)

Then quit **CENSORED**ing and go apply for the damned job if you know so much more than the coaches.

The short-sidedness is mind boggling.

Are you really a rag-writer for one of the local wraps?  Or related to them?  You sound just like them.

I'm sure that Gruden knew Simms was going to get hurt back in training camp and should have prepped Grads more.  Makes perfect sense to me....NOT.

You haven't a real clue bro.....none.

<still shaking head>

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#34 : December 24, 2006, 08:37:49 AM

Guru (sic)

Then quit **CENSORED**ing and go apply for the damned job if you know so much more than the coaches.

Are you really a rag-writer for one of the local wraps?  Or related to them?  You sound just like them.

I'm sure that Gruden knew Simms was going to get hurt back in training camp and should have prepped Grads more.  Makes perfect sense to me....NOT.

<still shaking head>

Prefer, then explain why Simms didn't get more playing time in the pre-season?  Would you have put so much stock in a young player with less than a year of starting under his belt, and with a injured backup veteran QB?

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#35 : December 24, 2006, 08:40:28 AM

Bucsguru

I do not understand where you are coming from.  Even as an established HOJ (Hater of Jon) I do not see how offering a contract like this (I do not think the contract has been signed yet)  to a player demonstrates anything other than trying bring back another player to this team.  I see more positives in this potential moves then negatives in my opinion.  People are jumping the gun with an assumption that Simms is set in stone to start if he signs the contract that is being offered.  Just becuase they are trying to sign Simms it does not mean the Bucs will not pursue a QB through free agency.  If the Bucs fail to bring in a veteran QB though free agency I would be more inclined to agree with you but at this point it is premature to make your case.

I agree ADW.  If all we are doing is trying to secure a back up, then that would be great.  IMO, I think the front office is sold more on Simms than Gruden; have nothing to back that up with either.  But for the life of me, I can't even begin to describe the sickness I would have if we hung another season on this guys shoulders without a proven back up QB on the bench.

#36 : December 24, 2006, 08:40:47 AM

Guru

If you look at ALL teams, you'd see that FEW starters got much PT in preseason.  Nowadays, coaches are concerned about players getting hurt in meaningless games.  Been that way for a few years now.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#37 : December 24, 2006, 08:41:15 AM

Guru (sic)

<still shaking head>

Prefer, then explain why Simms didn't get more playing time in the pre-season?  Would you have put so much stock in a young player with less than a year of starting under his belt, and with a injured backup veteran QB?

In my opinion he should have played more.  But to play the devils advocate maybe Jon did not want to risk his starter to injury considering what happened to Griese a year earlier or Simms two years ago from that point in the New Orleans game?

And the evidence shows that Simms was not the only starter with little playing time in pre season.  The majority of the startes played very little in pre season to lessen the possibilites of injuries and it gave more playing time to the youngsters.

A mistake for the entire team as a whole looking back now but I could understand why the Bucs coaching staff held back the reigns a bit.

#38 : December 24, 2006, 08:42:25 AM

I agree ADW.  If all we are doing is trying to secure a back up, then that would be great.  IMO, I think the front office is sold more on Simms than Gruden; have nothing to back that up with either.  But for the life of me, I can't even begin to describe the sickness I would have if we hung another season on this guys shoulders without a proven back up QB on the bench.

Therein lies the issue with you Guru.  You are jumping the gun.  Who is to say that we will NOT go get a vet backup???  You are just assuming waaaaaay too soon.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#39 : December 24, 2006, 08:46:55 AM

Therein lies the issue with you Guru.  You are jumping the gun.  Who is to say that we will NOT go get a vet backup???  You are just assuming waaaaaay too soon.

You go me Prefer.  But my assumption only comes from the way things have been handled in the past with the QB position; oops.

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler
#40 : December 24, 2006, 08:49:47 AM

Perhaps Guru people would be more likely to forger your troll laden past if you lost the paper bag.
As for Simms he has only 1 year of playing experience, and unlike grads who regressed was showing signs of turning it around when he got hurt. He has several years in the system and will compete for the starting job with whomever comes in here and if he is the backup I would feel more comfortable especially with the health problems our QBs have had

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#41 : December 24, 2006, 08:51:08 AM

You go me Prefer.  But my assumption only comes from the way things have been handled in the past with the QB position; oops.

Fair enough. We will have to wait and see how free agency unfolds in a couple of months.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#42 : December 24, 2006, 09:00:40 AM

Perhaps Guru people would be more likely to forger your troll laden past if you lost the paper bag.
As for Simms he has only 1 year of playing experience, and unlike grads who regressed was showing signs of turning it around when he got hurt. He has several years in the system and will compete for the starting job with whomever comes in here and if he is the backup I would feel more comfortable especially with the health problems our QBs have had

Consider it done!

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler
#43 : December 24, 2006, 09:23:16 AM

Well done
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How soon we forget « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools