Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Where are the fans at Rays games? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 20

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#30 : August 28, 2008, 12:59:46 PM

The Glazers had to threaten to move the Bucs to Orlando before Tampa finally gave in to help build Ray Jay. Sternberg is going to have to do the same thing with Rays. But St. Pete is so stupid they would give them them up. It's obvious the city doesnt want the franchise anymore.

The Rays also are not getting much national respect from the media. Analysts keep saying that it is only a matter of time before the team collapses and ends up missing the playoffs. They say that enough times people believe it. Even those people who dont say that say the Rays are "bad for baseball" because they are going to kick out at least one of the two biggest MLB markets in the country (New York or Boston). If the Yankees and Red Sox are not in the playoffs, the networks lose money and MLB is going to lose viewers.

And if you go to any message boards on the internet....there is a lot of hating on the Rays by the national fans.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#31 : August 28, 2008, 01:01:01 PM

It is a shame the team doesn't get more local support, unless the Cubs, Red Sox, or Yankees are in the building.

Don't you and your main squeeze Olaf have this rule that the Rays can't take any transplant fans unless they've been fans since day one.  So these NYY, CHI, and Boston folks living in Tampa now are required to continue to support their old teams.

I don't ever recall saying any of that.  Have a quote?

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#32 : August 28, 2008, 01:40:46 PM

The Glazers had to threaten to move the Bucs to Orlando before Tampa finally gave in to help build Ray Jay. Sternberg is going to have to do the same thing with Rays. But St. Pete is so stupid they would give them them up. It's obvious the city doesnt want the franchise anymore.

The Rays also are not getting much national respect from the media. Analysts keep saying that it is only a matter of time before the team collapses and ends up missing the playoffs. They say that enough times people believe it. Even those people who dont say that say the Rays are "bad for baseball" because they are going to kick out at least one of the two biggest MLB markets in the country (New York or Boston). If the Yankees and Red Sox are not in the playoffs, the networks lose money and MLB is going to lose viewers.

And if you go to any message boards on the internet....there is a lot of hating on the Rays by the national fans.

Are Tampa fans not smart enough on their own to realize that they have one of the best teams in baseball this year?

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#33 : August 28, 2008, 01:46:52 PM

Maybe the sterile venue called the Trop isn't worthy of spending $$$$$ to see a game that you can stay home and watch. Maybe the tough economic times we're well aware of. The price of a tank of gas? Has baseball become a sport of 3rd world nationals with dreadlocks that Americans can't relate to? Who knows?

DBrooksIsMyDaddy

Pro Bowler

#34 : August 28, 2008, 01:47:09 PM

I admit I'm not a baseball fan, but I've always been amazed at how many games there are in a season!  Who could go to all these games?

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#35 : August 28, 2008, 01:48:22 PM

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#36 : August 28, 2008, 02:05:35 PM

Baseball is also not as popular anymore. It used to be America's game....America's past time. Between the strike and then the steroids scandal, baseball has gone out of style.

The World Series used to be the world's most watched sporting event. Not anymore....not by a long-shot.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#37 : August 28, 2008, 02:22:19 PM

Message boards aren't the voice of entire communities..

Tell you what, I live in hardcore Angel country. And for this area anyway, I can tell you that the Rays are getting alot of respect. Any intelligent baseball community has to give them a nod..

So much so that my own father likes the Rays jersey, of course mostly because his name is Ray, but before this season he wouldn't have even known who your team is..

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#38 : August 28, 2008, 02:27:52 PM

Gotta love the excuses. Face it, Tampa's just not a big sports town.

says the man from across the country.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#39 : August 28, 2008, 02:30:07 PM

A breakdown on what Rays fans are doing on any game night...

posted by the man hunting Big Foot from across the country.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#40 : August 28, 2008, 02:32:38 PM

The location excuse is a joke at this point. With that team playing that well, it shouldn't matter if they were playing
in Bradenton. I have to drive over the bridge! Traffic is bad!

Face it. It's the people and not the team, stadium, distance or traffic.

Even if it was the worst stadium in MLB history, I'd still be going to games if I lived in Tampa. What the heck are
people waiting for?

Location is poor.

Lets call a spade a spade.

It is not hard to figure out that rising gas prices along with poor public transportation (no sub ways in Florida) have a significant effect.

The Tampa Bay area supports pro football (Storm, Bucs) unlike Los Angeles and the Lightning actually are popular in Florida while a Kings game is seen as meh in LA and you rather watch the Lakers instead. :o

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#41 : August 28, 2008, 02:33:53 PM

Major League Baseball average ticket price rises 10.9 percent to $25.40

Updated: March 28, 2008, 4:52 PM ET

CHICAGO -- It will cost a lot more to root, root, root for the home team this year.

Major League Baseball's average ticket price increased 10.9 percent this season to $25.40, the Team Marketing Report said Friday. That's the steepest increase since a 12.9 rise in 2001.

The World Series champion Red Sox, playing in the major leagues' smallest ballpark, have the highest average at $48.80, up 10.1 percent.

Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay ($17.23) were the only teams with no increase in their average.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#42 : August 28, 2008, 02:43:37 PM

The Tampa Bay area supports pro football (Storm, Bucs) unlike Los Angeles and the Lightning actually are popular in Florida while a Kings game is seen as meh in LA and you rather watch the Lakers instead. :o

Hell,  the Ducks sold out the entire last season...

But since this is a baseball attendance  thread, I have to point out you failed to mention the Dodgers (3rd in MLB attendance) or the Angels (6th).

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#43 : August 28, 2008, 02:51:49 PM

But since this is a baseball attendance  thread, I have to point out you failed to mention the Dodgers (3rd in MLB attendance) or the Angels (6th).

So what football do residents of Orange and Los Angeles county have to look forward to? Do you not honestly believe that doesn't have an effect on how money is spent?

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#44 : August 28, 2008, 03:06:18 PM

But since this is a baseball attendance thread, I have to point out you failed to mention the Dodgers (3rd in MLB attendance) or the Angels (6th).

So what football do residents of Orange and Los Angeles county have to look forward to? Do you not honestly believe that doesn't have an effect on how money is spent?

USC and UCLA I guess. And it's less than 2 hours to San Diego...

People are attending Dodger and Angel games because both are in playoff races, not because they have disposable income as a result of no football team to spend it on. If that's what you mean..

The Dodgers draw 3 million even when they aren't competitive, and that has nothing to do with football..

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 20
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Where are the fans at Rays games? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools