Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The reason the Bucs keep four QB's « previous next »
Page: 1 2

graypilgrim

Starter

#15 : August 30, 2008, 10:16:56 PM

I don't think that is the reason at all. Even though I don't think the same, it appears that the Bucs feel the need to sneak Johnson on the PS. Stephens' suspension allows them to keep him on the roster for the start of the season. When they do waive Johnson when Stephen's returns, most if not all the rest of the teams will be set at QB.

Personally, I don't think he did anything that would make another team sign him, but I've been wrong in the past so I'll leave this one to the guys who get paid to make the tough choices. LOL!
Hmmm - good thought, I had not considered that one. It could work.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#16 : August 30, 2008, 10:26:11 PM

The reason might be that McCown or Garcia are traded before the deadline

Booker

Hall of Famer

#17 : August 30, 2008, 10:28:31 PM

They prolly felt Josh would get swept up from PS

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#18 : August 30, 2008, 10:30:58 PM

All 3 starters have missed games in recent years due to injuries. Having an experienced healthy QB is key to the WCO. And Johnson looks like the future to me; a very talented kid, but raw. I'd be surprised if they risked losing him.
    Let's just call keeping 4 an expensive insurance policy ;D

rocko23

Hall of Famer
#19 : August 30, 2008, 10:33:30 PM

Peep this, the Lions kept 11 D linemen and 2 RB, talk about dumb

The Q

Pro Bowler

#20 : August 30, 2008, 10:34:20 PM

The Bucs are thin on the OLINE with 8 players. They also are thin on the DLine with 8 players. Plus Joseph is hurt so OLine is really only 7...that is thin. Lots of LBs, I hope they all pull their weight on ST.

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

donny77

Starter
#21 : August 31, 2008, 01:09:38 AM

Remember everyone, only 45 players are active on gameday.  It's rare to have more then 7 OL active on any given Sunday.  If we suffer another injury we'll bring a guy in.  Who would you have kept of the OL and DL we cut?  Just because you have a 9th offensive lineman doesn't make your line deeper if he isn't any good.  Denman and Roland have shown flashes, but are still raw.  They can go on the PS and available for call up.  But we can probably scan the waiver wire and find a better player than these guys.  So how has it cost us anything?

As for Johnson all you have to do is ask yourself one question.  Do you think you have a special talent?  You look at his college record.  TD-INT ratio.  Look at the skills he brings and how they match your offense.  If you think he's special, you don't risk him.  I predict he will remain on the roster all season unless we suffer 7 injuries and he'd be active on gameday by default.  We don't need 3 pass catching TEs.  Troupe has 2 weeks to impress and then he is gone in favor of Stevens.

About the only guys I would've considered keeping that were cut were Chuckwurah and Bennett.  I would have kept the best of the two.  But to free up the spot, I probably would lose a WR.  It's not like we run 5 wide sets.  I'd let Hilliard walk as he seems even slower this year, and with Bryant, Clayton and Stovall, we shouldn't need him.  It's hard to evaluate these young receivers when they are getting only 2 balls thrown their way a game.  With hilliard gone we'd be forced to play them and then we would know what we have.

Dre Moore will make the practice squad easily.  Teams don't generally steal a DT that needs to work on conditioning.  I expect him to make the roster next year, or he's a bust.  Peterson sat on the PS for most of last season and he used that to his advantage to get better.  So who's spot does Johnson have that he's hurting the team?

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#22 : August 31, 2008, 02:08:38 AM

i think that makes perfect sense yucc. Also since Johnson has a big upside it would be easier for a team to snatch him now so that he could go through a whole season with a team. Makes more sense for another team to do it at the begining of the season not weeks later on. On another team Johnson would be a number three and be a big liability if that team were to lose both the starter and the backup. Hed be a big liability because he doesnt know the playbook versus the guy who gets dropped who was there from the start and knows their stuff. I wouldnt be surprised if he put on the ps later on but it also wouldnt surprise me if he sticks on the team from here on out. 

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#23 : August 31, 2008, 02:15:08 AM

I would cut Griese.  Or at least trade him to someone for a fifth.  Someone would take him.  Someone.  Maybe the...uhhh...

I hate Brian Griese.  His gameis pathetic.  He throws for a high percentage.  He throws for minimal yards.  But he will kill you in the end.  The Bucs should roll wth Garcia, McCown, and Johnson.  I never understood why they went with Griese, but Gruden loves him some QB, so whatever.  But keep this in mind:

A guy like Chuk, or Nece is > Griese. And I AM NOT fan of Nece at all.

I loathe Brian Griese.  And so do the Bears, and they are HURTING for a QB.

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
#24 : August 31, 2008, 03:30:52 AM

Keeping 4 QBs doesn't make a lot of sense

Does it make sense for some people's here hero only to keep 2 injured QB's?

some people's here hero?  what?

no...3 QBs would have been suffice......

but 4 isn't bad for the first few weeks

He's referring to the fact that Dungy and the Colts cut their two backups and now only have Manning and Sorgi on the roster.  They must be making room for Simms or Brooks Bollinger :)

Diehart fisherman

Starter

#25 : August 31, 2008, 05:13:03 AM

To keep 6 WRs, 4 TEs AND 4 QBs Someone gets traded a wr one of the TE maybe as the season goes on one of the QB.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#26 : August 31, 2008, 05:51:15 AM

The reason might be that McCown or Garcia are traded before the deadline

The reason might also be Garcia has proven to be something less than dependable. A recurring "calf strain" could be a major problem.

cflabucsfan

Rookie

#27 : August 31, 2008, 09:13:52 AM

Keeping 4 QBs doesn't make a lot of sense

I agree with the OP's analysis and that keeping the 4 QB's they did makes perfect sense for the long term good of the team.

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler
#28 : August 31, 2008, 09:50:32 AM

make johnson a WR for a year or two. he runs a 4.4.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#29 : August 31, 2008, 01:16:32 PM

I would cut Griese.  Or at least trade him to someone for a fifth.  Someone would take him.  Someone.  Maybe the...uhhh...

I hate Brian Griese.  His gameis pathetic.  He throws for a high percentage.  He throws for minimal yards.  But he will kill you in the end.  The Bucs should roll wth Garcia, McCown, and Johnson.  I never understood why they went with Griese, but Gruden loves him some QB, so whatever.  But keep this in mind:

A guy like Chuk, or Nece is > Griese. And I AM NOT fan of Nece at all.

I loathe Brian Griese. And so do the Bears, and they are HURTING for a QB.

Then that just leaves Josh Johnson under contract for next year. Gives Luke McCown alot more leverage to make more money here next year or he can just go elsewhere. Also there is no Gurantee that Garcia would want to stick around after this offseason he had. So are you prepared to just go with JJ next year unless they can get Donovan McNabb next year.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The reason the Bucs keep four QB's « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools