Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Doctor of D « previous next »
Page: 1

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: August 31, 2008, 01:19:18 PM

Doctor of D

Tampa Bay's Brooks has seen the best in his 13 seasons

11:50 PM CDT on Saturday, August 30, 2008

Derrick Brooks knows defensive football.

He has played 13 NFL seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and 10 of them have been at a Pro Bowl level. The only linebacker who has been to more Pro Bowls is Junior Seau with 12. Brooks has collected a franchise-record 2,087 tackles and 24 interceptions.

Brooks broke into the league as a starter when the Cowboys were king in 1995 and has lined up against some great offenses during his current streak of 192 consecutive starts. So Brooks knows a little something about that side of the ball as well.
Headaches for defense

In my training camp stop at Tampa Bay this month, I asked Brooks to give me a list of the top five offenses he has faced. His list:

The 1999-2002 St. Louis Rams.

(The Greatest Show on Turf with Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk and Isaac Bruce appeared in two Super Bowls).
Dallas Cowboys / NFL

Brooks: They challenged you both ways – throwing down the field and running the ball. They forced us to be simple. A lot of defenses tried to scheme or outmaneuver that offense. But our success came because we simplified our defense: line up, play cover two, blitz left, blitz right and tackle. Do what we do best. People started watching our defense at that point and saying, "What are they doing against the Rams?" We were just executing our defense. When Isaac Bruce caught a 3-yard slant against us, it was a 3-yard slant, not a 60-yard touchdown.

The 1996-99 Green Bay Packers. (Brett Favre took the Packers to back-to-back Super Bowls in the 1996-97 seasons.)

Brooks: When they had Favre, Dorsey Levens and Antonio Freeman, they made us play physical.

The 1998 Minnesota Vikings. (The passing circus of Randall Cunningham, Randy Moss and Cris Carter generated a then NFL-record 556 points.)

Brooks: They went 15-1, and we were the only team that beat them. We played the same style of game plan against them as we did the Rams. We simplified things and executed our game plan.

The 1996-97 Detroit Lions. (The Bucs played the Lions twice each season as rivals in the NFC Central back then – and Barry Sanders won back-to-back NFL rushing titles.)

Brooks: Barry Sanders had two of the top five longest runs against us in Bucs history in 1997. We were a young team growing. Playing that type of back and that type of offense forced us into that Buc Ball mentality of accountability and trust in your teammates.

The 2003-07 Indianapolis Colts. (Led by former Bucs coach Tony Dungy and Pro Bowl quarterback Peyton Manning, the Colts won five consecutive AFC South titles during that stretch.)

Brooks: We played them twice, and they beat us twice. It was primarily their offense. In 2003 they put up 28 points in the fourth quarter to beat us. That doesn't sit well with us. I hate to be 0-2 against anyone.

LINK

bibfortuna

Second String
#1 : August 31, 2008, 02:00:38 PM

Thanks, Yuc.

Any reason why Gosselin has been focusing on the Bucs lately? This is probably the second or third in a month that i remember reading, from him.

beach4_life

Second String

#2 : August 31, 2008, 02:06:49 PM

I know how he feels, I was at that Bucs-Colts Monday nighter and it was awesome..until the 4th quarter, man that was a killer. On top of that lost $50 on the deal. 

dmajik85

Hall of Famer
#3 : August 31, 2008, 02:46:19 PM

I know how he feels, I was at that Bucs-Colts Monday nighter and it was awesome..until the 4th quarter, man that was a killer. On top of that lost $50 on the deal.

Me too, lost some change on that one. I felt violated.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Doctor of D « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools