Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lynch still bringin the pain!!! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 25, 2006, 08:53:38 PM

Hindsight is bullcrap!! Plenty of people knew he shouldn't have been let go when he was.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#16 : December 25, 2006, 08:54:41 PM

You are breathing in too much makeup.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 25, 2006, 08:58:14 PM

We will hear the same thing about Alstott and Brooks when their time comes.

There will always be those who want to live in the past and or have 20/20 hindsight vision.

Stan, I usually agree with you.   But not here.   If the Bucs were to cut Alstott at the end of the season, I'd say it was fine.   Alstott's career is at an end.   Brooks has maybe one more season so if they were to get rid of him now, it wouldn't be a big deal.   Maybe one year premature.    However, the Lynch move was far too premature.   It was a complete heartbreaker when they allowed Lynch to leave town.  I'm still pissed off about it and rate it right up there with the move to trade Steve Young and the move not to sign Doug Williams as the worst moves in Buc history.

I call BS on Phillips looking "good" the year before they got rid of Lynch.   He didnt show all that much.   The move was premature and a big mistake.   I said so at the time, and I'm still saying it now.   Hindsight has nothing to do with it.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#18 : December 25, 2006, 09:00:20 PM

Thank you, Java. Some common sense.

T

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 25, 2006, 11:39:38 PM

Stop living in the past people! He's gone, are you the same people who constantly relive your high school days?? Lynch is gone and is not coming back. If he's not wearing a Buc jersey to hell with him. As a Buc fan I'm loyal to one thing, the Buccaneers.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#20 : December 26, 2006, 12:00:05 AM

Stop living in the past people! He's gone, are you the same people who constantly relive your high school days?? Lynch is gone and is not coming back. If he's not wearing a Buc jersey to hell with him. As a Buc fan I'm loyal to one thing, the Buccaneers.

I never said he's coming back.   But it was a bad move.   I don't relive my high school days, but I did have a good run about 10 years ago in Jakarta that I like to relive every once in a while.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#21 : December 26, 2006, 12:04:33 AM

You know, the hockey  players say 'we walk together forever' with the guys whose names are on the cup together.  Same for the SB--Bucs forever.

Huey Freeman

Starter

#22 : December 26, 2006, 05:15:58 AM

There is a thing called the salary cap.  It was a "bad" move to let Ian Gold go, too. 

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 26, 2006, 05:30:08 AM

There is a thing called the salary cap. It was a "bad" move to let Ian Gold go, too.

I'm not so sure Ian Gold wanted to stay here anyway.   He wasn't really ours to "let go".   But Lynch was.

Huey Freeman

Starter

#24 : December 26, 2006, 06:26:34 AM

Ian Gold was under contract.  Released to get under the cap.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#25 : December 26, 2006, 08:11:51 AM

Ian Gold was under contract. Released to get under the cap.

Wasn't his salary cap number really big though?   If I remember correctly, they signed him to a contract where the first year was fairly low, but the 2nd year was like 4 times as much salary as the first year.    Does anyone remember how much he was scheduled to make?   I liked Ian and wanted to keep him, but if I'm not wrong, he was scheduled to make huge money that following year if he didnt renegotiate.

#26 : December 26, 2006, 11:03:46 AM

Thank you, Java. Some common sense.
So anyone whose opinion differs from yours is wrong? Nice logic.

#27 : December 26, 2006, 11:17:38 AM

Hindsight is bullcrap!! Plenty of people knew he shouldn't have been let go when he was.

Bullcrap.  The general consensus is that he may never play again, much less at the same level.  Sure, there were some fans that wanted him to stay, but did you seriously hear any legitimate source say the Lynch would return from his injury to play at a high level?

I love John Lynch, but it is hindsight that's making us question this.  At the time, it looked like a great decision.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 26, 2006, 11:34:34 AM

Sure, he's bringing the pain on hits but he's putrid in zone coverage. What's the basis for a Cover 2??? Oh that's right, zone. JP played great that year Lynch got hurt, it was a tough decision but the right one. I don't care how he's playing in Denver.

Huey Freeman

Starter

#29 : December 26, 2006, 02:25:01 PM

Java,

Yes, you are correct that the contract jumped significantly in the second year.  It was structured to give the Bucs a look at him for one year and then make a decision as to whether or not he was worth a significant contract.  He was coming off of an ACL injury and was interested in getting a good opportunity to show himself healthy.  The contract was basically a one year deal that gave the Bucs alone the option of signing him to that good sized contract if he was the same player post injury that he was pre injury.  He was our best LB that season. 

Yes, it was a lot to pay a guy who plays SLB in our scheme, but who else has had over 100 tackles playing the Strong Side?  He was a young play-maker.  The problem on our defense now is that we don't have those types of guys. 

Also, when Simeon Rice initially signed on with us, he signed a similar contract.  Basically a one year deal with the option to pick up the bulk of the contract if he turned out to be worth it.  Of course he was, and the Bucs picked up that option and payed him the money.

It sucks to let impact players go in their prime. 
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lynch still bringin the pain!!! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools