Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Allen smarter then some think « previous next »
Page: 1 2

#15 : September 01, 2008, 04:56:16 PM

There is a good chance that Roy Williams and Anquan Boldin will be free agents next off season.

Boldin has 3 yrs left on his deal.... exactly how is he gonna be a free agent next season?

redbeard10

Hall of Famer
#16 : September 01, 2008, 05:13:14 PM

Several folks on this board were praising Allen for "stockpiling QBs" and how we cornered the QB market and would turn Grads, Simms, and the rights to Plummer into picks.  In the end, they turned out to be worth squat on the trade market.  I would have preferred to see Simms' roster spot used on a player that might have been able to contribute to the team, as we all knew Simms wouldn't.

As for the cap issue, we've had money for a couple of years now, but so have a lot of other teams, so the FA market continues to be weak.  I don't see any reason for that to be any different next year.  That means Allen will likely have to step up to the plate and offer good picks to get a "name" player, something he hasn't shown the desire to do thus far.
Down the road, we all know Merriman will be on the market after 2009....as long as he doesn't kill his knee this year I mean.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#17 : September 01, 2008, 06:08:33 PM

I think he's smarter then some think and also not as smart as others think....

He is def. overrated by some and under-rated by others.

He is a middle of the pack GM if you ask me.

#18 : September 01, 2008, 06:13:54 PM

I think he's smarter then some think and also not as smart as others think....

He is def. overrated by some and under-rated by others.

He is a middle of the pack GM if you ask me.

Agreed!!!

IMO, Bruce is more than adequate at handling the finances but severely lacking in the talent evaluation dept.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#19 : September 01, 2008, 06:16:28 PM

I think we need some new scouts, that might improve the talent evaluation.

#20 : September 01, 2008, 06:17:09 PM

I think we need some new scouts, that might improve the talent evaluation.

I'm available!!!

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#21 : September 01, 2008, 06:18:04 PM

Bruce Allen might me a bit smarter then some give him credit for. While holding onto Simms to see if he could up the value for the QB. It rubbed some fans the wrong way. It was a wise business move that didnt pay of. But was well worth the risk. After signing Marques Douglas this off-season Allen parted ways with Douglas after not giving him a signing bonus and received not only a late round draft pick in 2009, but also an undisclosed pick in 2010. Some want to argue that they did not upgrade the roster enough with the amount of cap space the team had squirreled away. There just wasn't enough talent to splurge on enter free agency.

But since the team was frugal with its new found cap surplus it will be north of 45 million in available cap room heading into the 2009 season, when Allen once again uses the LTBE loophole. which should ensure that one of the teams most glaring weaknesses should be address with the amount of talent scheduled to hit the free market.
Is this the exact same post you posted in 2007(dates are changed to protect the innocent) and forecasted what heavy hitters we would be in free agency in 2008?

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#22 : September 01, 2008, 06:19:00 PM

There is a good chance that Roy Williams and Anquan Boldin will be free agents next off season.

Boldin has 3 yrs left on his deal.... exactly how is he gonna be a free agent next season?
I've been trying to tell people this post after post after post.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Allen smarter then some think « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools