Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A question to those who are dissapointed so far? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

Lamond

Hall of Famer

: September 08, 2008, 09:01:24 AM

Why did Graham only get 10 carries?      Even a junior high kid knows, if the opposing QB is any good, you keep him off the field by pounding the ball.  The Bucs failed to execute EVERY pass that was more than 5 yards....   why is no one open?   or, can Garcia not see them over the line?  and the few times he does see them, the ball is poorly thrown.   

Well, it just might be the long down and distances the O had because of stupid penalties. Did you even watch the game yesterday?

JC510

Practice Squad

#1 : September 08, 2008, 01:20:15 PM

The outcome was as I expected. As I stated elsewhere over the past week, I fully expected the Bucs to struggle on offense. What I was very disappointed in, however, was how poorly the defense played. It was uncharacteristic and the missed tackles and coverage mistakes are disheartening.

As a rookie, Talib can be forgiven for his failure to get deep enough into his drop.

The defense played at a 2002 level until the 8th Saints possession. You cannot give an offense like that 12 freaking possessions. Last year when we played them in New Orleans they only had 9 possessions the entire game. Week 2 last year they had 11 possessions. 0 points on Drives 1-8. TD on 9. 44 yards and turnover on downs on 10. TD on 11.

And the offense didn't struggle, the passing did. The running game was amazing. If he actually went with the run the game would have been shortened, we obviously would have scored more points, Saints only get 8 or 9 possessions and we win fairly easy.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#2 : September 08, 2008, 12:55:04 PM

Where are all those posters who said last week the Saints were nothin to worry about?

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 08, 2008, 12:53:12 PM

Gruden could have decided to pound the hell out of them and limit possessions but he didn't. He made that decision during the week when his game plan didn't include Bennett. He wanted to win a shootout and he made himself look like an idiot.

Why would a coach who is planning on a "shootout" include two FBs in the active lineup?

Good quesion. But why would a coach who isn't planning on a shootout call 2/1 pass to runs plays? Especially when his QB was getting harrased from the minute he stepped onto the field?

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#4 : September 08, 2008, 12:51:55 PM

The outcome was as I expected. As I stated elsewhere over the past week, I fully expected the Bucs to struggle on offense. What I was very disappointed in, however, was how poorly the defense played. It was uncharacteristic and the missed tackles and coverage mistakes are disheartening.

As a rookie, Talib can be forgiven for his failure to get deep enough into his drop.

#5 : September 08, 2008, 12:51:20 PM

Never thought this team was better then last years team and have stated that they are anywhere from an 8-8 to 9-7 team depending on the play of the QB. But should this team start in an 0-2 hole dont think Gruden can get this team to a 9-7 record and would most likely end up being  a7-9 team, based off of Grudens inability to turn things around when teams coached by him are not winning

I think this time, if we start 0-2, he'll pull Jeff and start Brian.  From team morale standpoint I think that would be pretty close to a fresh start, so he could turn it around this time.

The real problem would be if we limped to a 2-4 record, then it'd probably be too late to make the switch.  If it's not working and he wants to turn it around, he needs to do it fast.

SON-OF-ZELL

Starter

#6 : September 08, 2008, 12:26:13 PM

Even if they didn't add talent in the off season I was hoping they could at least re-sign some of the younger players with the cap space. Sadly if he keeps it up Phillip Buchanon's price tag will be out of reach for Bruce's range.

Foolishly, I was hoping that maybe Gaines Adams would start to live up to his purported huge potential and be a difference maker off the edge....was he playing.....oh yeah he got tackled one time, other than that.....do they have anyone who can rush the passer???  Well it will be a long year and get ready for 350 YPPG all year long.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#7 : September 08, 2008, 12:10:47 PM

Even if they didn't add talent in the off season I was hoping they could at least re-sign some of the younger players with the cap space.  Sadly if he keeps it up Phillip Buchanon's price tag will be out of reach for Bruce's range.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#8 : September 08, 2008, 12:00:11 PM

Never thought this team was better then last years team and have stated that they are anywhere from an 8-8 to 9-7 team depending on the play of the QB. But should this team start in an 0-2 hole dont think Gruden can get this team to a 9-7 record and would most likely end up being  a7-9 team, based off of Grudens inability to turn things around when teams coached by him are not winning

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#9 : September 08, 2008, 12:04:49 PM

Never thought this team was better then last years team.......

I agree, but with $44M in cap room and a full compliment of draft picks, why is this the case?

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#10 : September 08, 2008, 11:52:15 AM

Gruden could have decided to pound the hell out of them and limit possessions but he didn't. He made that decision during the week when his game plan didn't include Bennett. He wanted to win a shootout and he made himself look like an idiot.

Why would a coach who is planning on a "shootout" include two FBs in the active lineup?

Got_Spleen

Starter

#11 : September 08, 2008, 11:29:20 AM

Is it merely a question of not having the personnel to gain separation on the opposing team's secondary? It would appear that Garcia looked down field a few times but always ended with the check down, which is probably the #1 read in Gruden's offense. I am bitter and frustrated. Yeah there were a couple bad calls, but the Saints looked pretty good and I won't take anything from their win. They made plays and we didn't.

JC510

Practice Squad

#12 : September 08, 2008, 11:26:51 AM

Saints possessions 1-7
7 points, 4.5 yards per play

Saints possessions 8-10
17 points, 13.8 yards per play

Now did the Bucs defense all of the sudden decide to quit? Well besides Jermaine Phillips, no. They were out of gas. And being out of gas vs New Orleans is alot worse than being out of gas vs other teams because they were torch you.

That is not proof that the defense was tired. For example, what you just posted could just mean that the Saints offense was a little rusty coming into the game and began to click between the 8th and 10th possession. Or it could be that they figured our defense out because we were doing the same things, etc. OR that we had more favorable matchups at that time. On any count, what you posted is no proof at all to back up your claim.

Secondly, Bennett not playing the game has nothing to do with the Saints offense beating the Bucs defense. Bennett could have played all game long and the Saints could have still torched our defense. Actually, assuming you think Bennett could have been such a difference maker what if we would have scored so quickly that the Saints would have had more possessions with which to score more points? Also, with so few carries being distributed to the RBs vs. passing plays as you have already mentioned that would mean that the game plan wouldn't have dramatically changed had Bennett have been in the game. I hear your argument that the game plan formulated throughout the week sucked, other than that you're wrong as usual and have no evidence like always to back up your claims. Try again.

You need "proof" to know the defense was tired? Did you watch the game? What more evidence do you need? This isn't Madden where players turn yellow. I guess thats what you need to convince you.

And if Graham got 20, Bennett got around 10 and Dunn got around 7 the team would have rushed for somewhere between 200-250 yards and would have had 35-40 minutes TOP and the defense would not have gotten burnt like that late in the 3rd and 4th qtr. That's just common sense.

We rushed for nearly 8 yards per carry and LOST time of possession  It's one thing not to run when it's not working or you're losing. But to not run when A. it's working better than it ever has before and B. the whole game is basically tied, C. your passing game completely sucks, shows that Gruden has lost it and doesn't belong in the NFL. He can't keep living off 2002, he's lost his ability call NFL games. He'll be at Notre Dame in 4 months.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#13 : September 08, 2008, 11:21:44 AM

but IMO, Favre didn't want to play for Gruden. 
Well, then you are wrong.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#14 : September 08, 2008, 11:19:51 AM

Garcia's passes didn't look sharp and at times, weren't even accurate. Our 3rd down conversion % was pathetic. I fail to understand why Gruden never tests the defenses deep. Would you not want to make the D at least think you'll go deep to keep them honest? He makes it so easy for opposing defenses to predictably defend.

No, he likes to wait until the fourth quarter and we are behind until he starts throwing deep.  Garcia can still play, but he is too much like a girl when it comes to holding grudges.  You could tell yesterday that he wasn't that upset over losing.  Garcia was the problem, and Gruden/Allen only made it worse after the contract dispute by attempting to trade for Favre.  We could have had Favre if we wanted, but IMO, Favre didn't want to play for Gruden.  He wants to be able to go down field, not dink and dunk. 
This offense is old and predictable. 
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A question to those who are dissapointed so far? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools