Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden Quotes 5 Sep 08 « previous next »
Page: 1

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: September 05, 2008, 02:03:39 PM

(on Jeff Garcia’s hand injury)
“He’s got a pinky, a sore pinky, I guess. Since he’s a quarterback and he does have a jammed pinky or  whatever it may be, we put him on the injury list. He’s got a strained pinky [on his right, throwing hand].”

(on if the injury is affecting his throwing)
“No, I don’t think so. I’ll let him speak on that. We just put him on the injury list. We’re doing our jobs.”

(on if he has a feel for how good the team is at this point)
“I think we have a great work ethic. It was a good preseason and good practices, a good week of practice. I’ve seen a lot of guys perform pretty consistently well. We’ve got to put it all together and see how we stack up against another team that’s had a pretty good preseason also. I’ve got a pretty good idea. We’ve got some talent and we’ve got some guys that need the experience of game day. The football team is not the same as it was last year on opening day, and they need to have the experience of game day together. That’s what’s always exciting about opening day to me.”

(on the strength of the defense)
“I hope so. Second year players usually show dramatic improvement. Not just Gaines Adams and Greg White, Tanard Jackson, but guys like Kevin Carter and Cato June that are in their second year in the system. We want to get better in red zone defense, we’ve got to get better in third down defense. Giving up yards and total defense is just a stat the media uses. There are some areas we’ve got to get a lot better at, and hopefully we do. But second year players usually show significant improvement, and we hope some of our seasoned veterans continue to get better to.”

(on getting better at pressuring the quarterback and if a solid secondary helps with that)
“I think the potential for that is always there. I feel good about our four corners. I feel good about our four safeties. We’ve got eight athletic guys that can not only play our traditional zone scheme, but they can do a lot of things. They’re all capable blitzers and willing tacklers, so there’s some deception there that maybe we can use. If man-to-man and more pressure is part of that, than so be it. But Monte [Kiffin] does a great job of creatively using his people.”

(on if the league is evolving and teams are copying other successful schemes)
“You break down this protection. You’re going to send four guys out on a route. Four guys are out on a route, you have six blockers. Let’s bring four to this side, break that protection down and smash the quarterback or make him throw it hot. It’s not a perfect science. It’s overload blitzing, zone blitzing. It won the Giants the Super Bowl or had a big reason. They profited greatly from that scheme and normally the next year people say, ‘Hey, what are they doing that’s so good? Maybe we ought to take a look at it.’ Philadelphia and Jim Johnson have done it for years. A lot of teams are playing Tampa-2, snap after snap for a while there and they still do. But there are some bizarre blitzes going on and that’s why it’s hard to change players and change quarterbacks, because you just can’t stand there and get blitzed your whole life or you’re in for a long, ugly
year.”

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

MBF

Hall of Famer

#1 : September 05, 2008, 02:04:31 PM

Haha, I knew Garcia would pick up an "injury" before the Saints game.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#2 : September 05, 2008, 02:51:04 PM

Between rust, "injuries", and new players at different positions, Garcia is well covered for excuses. I hope he proves me wrong, but I'm not expecting great things from our offense on Sunday. It just seems like there is always a problem with him.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#3 : September 05, 2008, 03:00:53 PM

Sparky, sadly I must agree with you. He's a good paper player. This game requires a little bit of extra gumption and we'll have see if he can answer the call.

In Verner We Trust

The Q

Pro Bowler

#4 : September 05, 2008, 03:14:06 PM

Gruden sure has a way with words. He is very quotable. Garcia will be fine, if not, they will run another QB in there.
What's the big concern. Luke lit up the Saints last year for big yardage and tossed a TD at the end to Stevens to win it.
No excuses! No injuries! Play hard, to the whistle. Bring back the win!

The BUCS are gonna surprise people this year!

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#5 : September 05, 2008, 08:17:55 PM

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080904/UPDATES02/80904030/-1/SPORTS71
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden Quotes 5 Sep 08 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools