Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Brooks up to the challenge of fending off younger players « previous next »
Page: 1

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
: September 05, 2008, 04:57:22 PM

"I accept the challenge when they bring in younger players to take my job," Brooks said. "I don't complain about it and I don't get bitter. I just look at it as one more reason to let the coaches know that it's not my time to go."

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#1 : September 05, 2008, 05:07:39 PM

Well if they draft a LB in the first or 2nd round in the future, than I can see them giving Brooks a raw deal....

I like to think of the Bucs weeding out Quarles so that Ruud can get his chance to start.

Quincy Black and Cato June are of no worries to Derrick unless he struggles this year

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#2 : September 05, 2008, 05:18:45 PM

Geno Hayes will end Brooks' career.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#3 : September 05, 2008, 05:23:40 PM

You make it sound so evil.

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#4 : September 05, 2008, 05:54:03 PM

Nah, no evil. All careers come to an end eventually.

BuccinTex

Hall of Famer
#5 : September 05, 2008, 05:57:27 PM

Keeping the tradition of great FSU linebackers in Tampa......I like it.

#6 : September 05, 2008, 06:27:30 PM

Well if they draft a LB in the first or 2nd round in the future, than I can see them giving Brooks a raw deal....

Um, how would that be a "raw deal"?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#7 : September 05, 2008, 06:45:28 PM

Pretty good article on ESPN.com:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=3570894&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos2

TAMPA, Fla. --- Tampa Bay linebacker Derrick Brooks had a valuable conversation with Hall of Fame cornerback Darrell Green three years ago in Jacksonville. They ran into each other at Super Bowl XXXIX and Brooks had one question for the former Washington Redskins star: How did Green manage to play 20 years with the same team? The answer, as Brooks learned, was simple.

"Darrell told me that his team asked him to adjust to a new role as he got older," Brooks said. "And when he did that, they rewarded him by extending his career."

ABuccs Fan

Practice Squad

#8 : September 05, 2008, 08:09:07 PM

Brooks didn't get where he is by being dumb. He knows he's not the same player he used to be. If he continues to accept a lesser role and lesser paycheck, he too can be around for 20 years.

CoachEricTaylor

Starter

#9 : September 05, 2008, 08:45:31 PM

Pretty good article on ESPN.com:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=3570894&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos2

TAMPA, Fla. --- Tampa Bay linebacker Derrick Brooks had a valuable conversation with Hall of Fame cornerback Darrell Green three years ago in Jacksonville. They ran into each other at Super Bowl XXXIX and Brooks had one question for the former Washington Redskins star: How did Green manage to play 20 years with the same team? The answer, as Brooks learned, was simple.

"Darrell told me that his team asked him to adjust to a new role as he got older," Brooks said. "And when he did that, they rewarded him by extending his career."

I am currently working for Darrell Green, and I swear he could still play. Dude still has fire and trains pretty hard...according to what he tells me. Anyone that back peddles like he did for 20 years gets my respect, even if he loves him some him!

:: CLEAR EYES, FULL HEARTS, CAN\'T LOSE ::

benir0

Hall of Famer
#10 : September 05, 2008, 10:48:14 PM

Wow.  We have been so lucky to have DB here for all of these years.

I'm gonna cry.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#11 : September 05, 2008, 10:57:41 PM

sorry I should have better explained myself.  I meant they may give him the same deal they gave Quarles....Not saying I wouldn't agree with it, because it may be better for the team, but he may not even be given a chance to compete in the future.....but go ahead and dispute me....

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler
#12 : September 05, 2008, 11:31:58 PM

by a new role, if that means LBers coach in about 1-3 years .. hell .. i'd be in my happy place.

NotDeadYet

Hall of Famer

#13 : September 06, 2008, 06:57:15 AM

I can remember when Brooks playing those short zones was money tackling anybody; WR's, TE's, RB's. YAC were hard to come by in Brooks' zone back in the day ;D.
His quickness ain't what it used to be, so hopefully the staff has changed his responsibilities to better match his capabilities...

#14 : September 06, 2008, 02:25:08 PM

sorry I should have better explained myself.  I meant they may give him the same deal they gave Quarles....Not saying I wouldn't agree with it, because it may be better for the team, but he may not even be given a chance to compete in the future.....but go ahead and dispute me....

Well, Q was done, and wouldn't accept it, so he had to be shown some "tough love".  It's not always about today, it's an ongoing process, and it was simply Ruud's time. DB is coming to the end of his days soon too, I hope he admits it and goes with style. 

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Brooks up to the challenge of fending off younger players « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools