Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Roller Coaster and the direction of the Bucs « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#15 : September 08, 2008, 07:16:08 PM

DTG - Not sure Monte would survive another coaching change here, but depending on the season unfolds it might be time to start looking long term at a number of different issues with in the coaching ranks as well as the rest of the front office. While Allen has the team out of cap hell and for the past two season has had an abundant amount of cash on hand not many upgrades have been made which is a two way street, granted there has to be a free agent worth the money. But to not use it is also not always best.

By the end of the season the Bucs could be looking for 2 new QB's with Garcia and McCown being free agents, four new receivers with the age question coming into play with Galloway and Hilliard not to mention both Bryant and Clayton are free agents. Two new or even three running backs depending on how Bennett and Dunn preform not to mention weather or not Williams will be back or even serviceable. Also a new WLB should Brooks skills decline and injuries take a toll. Then there is a need for DE's and DT's. This team could be looking at a major change heading into the 2009 season of up if not more then 25 new players from the 2008 squad with many coming at key positions on both sides of the football.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#16 : September 08, 2008, 07:30:00 PM

I dunno. I think the bucs are good enough to be in the playoffs. We just have a couple of things we need to get better at. Good thing about that is that they are fixable. Thing is can we fix them in time to be a playoff team.

BucFan9720

Practice Squad

#17 : September 08, 2008, 07:58:25 PM

It's a legitimate question, but I would also (if not moreso) want to address our GM position.
Clearly our pass rush MUST improve. If it does not, with all this cap space, why wasn't it addressed? We need more playmakers and yet the same thing applies. No QB of the future in place, still LT questions....
One game, but the division may be a lot better this season and even winning eight games may be a struggle.

Regardless of how cap space we have.. who exactly would you have liked for the team to have gotten this offseason that was available?

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#18 : September 08, 2008, 08:01:33 PM

Our GM isn't a scout.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#19 : September 08, 2008, 09:02:02 PM

Would Monte survive another head coaching change?

it sure would pave the way for raheem...

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

TOP SECRET

Practice Squad

#20 : September 08, 2008, 09:18:46 PM

I have been a long time Gruden supporter and I truly do like him as a HC. I do however think it is time for a change for the reasons stated. It could very well be time to move on, try something new. I wouldn't mind seeing Raheem get a shot at DC too, but it is something that is very tough to do though, Monte is a huge part of the history of this team and it is impossible to have him step aside unless he wants to.

A side note, I think the coach that could turn this team around the quickest would be Cowher, simply bc we are built perfect for what he has always done. Pound the rock and play defense.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#21 : September 08, 2008, 09:23:31 PM

Allen and Gruden have extensions, they aren't going anywhere.

we have 3 more years of Gru and Allen, get used to it

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#22 : September 09, 2008, 12:27:09 AM

Not ready to jump ship, was just wondering what everyone else thought, must fans always bring up who would coach if Gruden was fired. It is easy to answer as know one no how good Bill Walsh was going to be at first or any other coach for that matter. But to say that there is not a coach that could come in with new ideas and get this team to back to back winning season as some have suggested in the past is crazy

Jon Gruden: Innovator of the dink & dunk scheme, gaining three and outs at will

It's weird that you have a dink and dunk snipe and then put the score of our SB victory
right afterwards.

How do you think we got to the SB and won it that year? Maybe some dink and dunk?
Were you complaining about it back then, too?

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#23 : September 09, 2008, 12:32:15 AM

It's weird that you have a dink and dunk snipe and then put the score of our SB victory
right afterwards.

How do you think we got to the SB and won it that year? Maybe some dink and dunk?
Were you complaining about it back then, too?

To be fair, go check out the highlights of the '02 season again...there was a lot more than dink and dunk going on with the offense...

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#24 : September 09, 2008, 12:35:34 AM

While I'm definitely not ready to throw the towel after one game, I do believe this team has to advance in the playoffs for Gruden to stay. The Glazers aren't blind. They see their product is not the hot ticket it once was and with the Rays and Lightning stepping up the competition, I believe they understand that this fan base needs to be energized. They need a deep playoff run to finally put down the naysayers and get Gruden back to his lofty status - but if we fail, if the Bucs turn in another one-and-done or worse, finish out of the playoffs all together, the Glazers MUST make a change, for anything, just to re-energize the players and the fanbase.

I still believe Gruden is a damn good coach, not so great with the players, but a good coach overall. His record proves out that he was one of the best Buccaneer coaches ever and I will forever have a special place in my heart for him for getting me a Buccaneer Super Bowl in my lifetime - but let's face it. If we are down again this year - the fanbase confidence will continue to erode, the calls for his termination will continue, and the area will just be filled with negativity about the team at a time when we're struggling to sell out Ray Jay.

I don't see any way Gruden survives another season if we falter.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#25 : September 09, 2008, 12:43:31 AM

Allen and Gruden have extensions, they aren't going anywhere.

I agree and they call me the pessimist ? ???

Capt Tripps

Second String

#26 : September 09, 2008, 06:19:30 AM

Mike Singletary -  HC
Jason Garrett - OC
Morris - DC
New O-line coach (whomever)
That alone would have the fanbase excited, not to mention what that would do for us as far as attracting FA's.  Glazers would start making money hand over fist simply on the promise of something new.  Love him or hate him, we all know what Gruden brings to the table, and quite frankly, we're bored with it.  I see Aaron Rodgers in his first start last night, making plays with his arm and his feet, and I thought, "Why can't we do that.  Why am I scared every time our offense has the ball?  Why am I always thinking that the defense will pull us out and maybe we can get something going on O NEXT possession."  And I'm no fair weather fan, and yes, the attitude that most have about our beloved Bucs pisses me off most of the time.

Yes, we won a superbowl and 3 division titles with the man.  I understand someone else could even be worse.  But let's look at it strictly as a business.  If your profits are going down despite small successes after one huge success, not one company would keep that CEO for 6 years.  After all, the NFL is a business.  And if Gruden won't put the people in the stands, maybe it is time for a change.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#27 : September 09, 2008, 05:35:41 AM

Did anybody see a man named Brian commentating the game Sunday?  The same Brian that won a SB back in 2000 with the Ravens?  Remember he got the same contract extension in Baltimore the season before he got the axe as well. 

Gruden knows full well this is an important season for him. 

Here is to hoping the guy turns it around in a hurry and wins with the talented football team he has.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#28 : September 09, 2008, 08:47:40 AM

I cant believe you guys are already talkin new coaches here. IT WAS ONE GAME!!! really it doesnt matter though if the bucs win their next 5 games and lost the 6th won there would still be a thread about a new head coach. This town disgusts me sometimes.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#29 : September 09, 2008, 09:03:21 AM

Hate is distributing free passes to the Skyway bridge-but only if you take Carnell with you. :)

This is ridiculous. It was one game. The ones that put their money where their mouth is were right in their predictions.

Calm down.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Roller Coaster and the direction of the Bucs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools