Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FYI: Brian Leonard (rutgers) will be playing in the Texas Bowl « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 27, 2006, 01:52:19 AM

Nah.  I got to clip my nose hairs, and cook a turkey soup....

Don't try both at once.....might ruin the soup.   :P

#16 : December 27, 2006, 07:50:19 AM

thursday nite, 8pm. I'm sure a few of us fans will be watching.

I got to see the kid in person at Ray Jay! When Rutgers played USF. The kid is explosive

#17 : December 27, 2006, 10:03:50 AM

The real prize in that game is Rutgers RB Ray Rice. He wont be draft eligible until next year. He's one of the most dominating college backs Ive ever seen and is the reaosn why Leonard isnt featured anymore

PewterReportSR

Hall of Famer
#18 : December 27, 2006, 12:48:32 PM

As a K-State alum, I'll be rooting for my man, Raheem Morris and the Lynch Mob defense against Brian Leonard, but the FB has skills. I wouldn't mind seeing him in Tampa next year.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#19 : December 29, 2006, 03:12:29 AM

But is there any chance he actually WILL be here, SR ? Unless he drops to the third round, it has to be remote that he'll be a Buc, right?

In Verner We Trust

watson

Hall of Famer
#20 : December 29, 2006, 06:44:18 AM

I watched part of the game and thought Leonard looked pretty good when he was running the ball.  The thing that I think will drop his draft grade is he does not appear to be a very good blocker.  Mike and Sterling both mentioned his whiff block and how he needed to improve on his blocking.  After that I watched and it looked like he was lunging at the defender and kept either glancing off of them or they would just sidestep and go around him.  Rice was quick enough to get past his area so it didn't have any impact on the play.  In the NFL the defensive players are too quick for that to work.

One guy that kept showing up in the plays was the Rutgers DL....#90.  Don't remember his name, but he seemed to be in the mix almost every play.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

#21 : December 29, 2006, 07:28:34 AM

I agree, he didn't have his best night as a blocker but believe me, he has been better. Rice rushed for 170+ so his blocking wasn't all bad.

watson

Hall of Famer
#22 : December 29, 2006, 08:00:26 AM

I agree, he didn't have his best night as a blocker but believe me, he has been better. Rice rushed for 170+ so his blocking wasn't all bad.
HDE,
I was impressed with him pass catching.  He has some of the current version of the A Train, but last night he didn't show a younger version of it.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 29, 2006, 09:36:07 AM

I have seen Leonard play several times, he can block but when you look at his number from this season (granted ray rice) it is a dramatic drop off. Last night I dont think he totaled 45 yard in total offense. I don't see the need for a guy like this in the first 3-4 rounds, nothing sooner than round 4 for me.

Baghead #2

Shag

Pro Bowler

#24 : December 29, 2006, 09:44:53 AM

He is a player that will get drafted by a team that doesn't need much. We have too many other areas to draft before getting a worthless FB.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#25 : December 29, 2006, 09:47:03 AM

Shag I think you are right. Leonard to us is a luxury pick. Would I like to have him here, hell yeah but do we really have "need" for a FB in the 1st 3-4 rounds, I don't think so. He will be a good player in the right offense and would fit in here but we have too many holes to fill.

Baghead #2

#26 : December 29, 2006, 09:52:53 AM

I have seen Leonard play several times, he can block but when you look at his number from this season (granted ray rice) it is a dramatic drop off. Last night I dont think he totaled 45 yard in total offense. I don't see the need for a guy like this in the first 3-4 rounds, nothing sooner than round 4 for me.

People get way too hung up on value and what is needed in each round.  The main thing you need to do is come out of the draft with as many starters and back-ups as possible.  When you get to the 3rd and 4th round the chances of picking a starter drop off dramatically, say 45% chance 3rd and 35% chance 4th. 

Leonard will be a starter in the NFL for many years, so if he is there at the start of the 3rd round it is a no brainer IMO.  We could always draft a 3rd tier LB or DE that will be cut in twelve months time, or how about another Colmer.   ::)

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#27 : December 29, 2006, 09:59:03 AM

People get way too hung up on value and what is needed in each round. The main thing you need to do is come out of the draft with as many starters and back-ups as possible. When you get to the 3rd and 4th round the chances of picking a starter drop off dramatically, say 45% chance 3rd and 35% chance 4th.

Leonard will be a starter in the NFL for many years, so if he is there at the start of the 3rd round it is a no brainer IMO. We could always draft a 3rd tier LB or DE that will be cut in twelve months time, or how about another Colmer. ::)

That is a good point and I think Leonard will be a good player in the right offense and he would workout well here. However, if we didn't draft a DT in the 1st 2 rounds and Marcus Thomas was there at the our selection in R3 I think we would be well served to select him. I'm not against Leonard at all and think he has value and a nice game.  Personally I would not be against taking Thomas with our late 2nd pick from the colts and maybe leonard in the third but you have to see who is available and what makes the most sense for us. I think we have to keep a "wait and see" approach to Leonard based on what we need and who is available. You make a good point though, Leonard would be a "can't miss" prospect in our offense IMHO

Baghead #2

#28 : December 29, 2006, 10:02:57 AM

People get way too hung up on value and what is needed in each round. The main thing you need to do is come out of the draft with as many starters and back-ups as possible. When you get to the 3rd and 4th round the chances of picking a starter drop off dramatically, say 45% chance 3rd and 35% chance 4th.

Leonard will be a starter in the NFL for many years, so if he is there at the start of the 3rd round it is a no brainer IMO. We could always draft a 3rd tier LB or DE that will be cut in twelve months time, or how about another Colmer. ::)

How many other teams are thinking Leonard round #3...However lets hope those teams are not Detroit/Oakland/Cleveland.

However if a teams that loves Brian at 3 and knows we will take him at our 3 they may reach for him at 2 to make sure they get him

Shag

Pro Bowler

#29 : December 29, 2006, 10:04:46 AM

Leonard will be a starter in the NFL for many years, so if he is there at the start of the 3rd round it is a no brainer IMO.  We could always draft a 3rd tier LB or DE that will be cut in twelve months time, or how about another Colmer.   ::)

You might need to check out the defense again. We had practice squad players starting. Getting a 3rd round DL or LB would be as high as we've drafted those positions in years. It's more important than a FB.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: FYI: Brian Leonard (rutgers) will be playing in the Texas Bowl « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools