Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tech guys, some help please « previous next »
Page: 1 2

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#15 : September 24, 2008, 10:26:42 PM

well, I actually got things working tonight... I was messing around with cloning the MAC address on my PC to the router, and it didn't seem to work. So I set the router settings back to factory defaults, which I had already done before when trying to get things to work. I then gave up for a while. I decided to try it again, and low and behold, the router worked. I have a hard line connection to the PC and have connected wireless to the laptop..

Now the next question, accessing my work Intranet!  I have successfully connected to the VPN on my laptop. But when I try to open pages on my company's intranet, I can't access them., Is there some settings I'm missing? Anyone with experience in stuff like this?

#16 : September 25, 2008, 12:38:17 AM

Were you able to connect to the VPN through your router before?  If so, then there might be settings that you might want to check with the IT dept. of the company that you work with.  Also if you can connect and access information through your company's intranet by direct connect to your modem, then this will point to something that either your router is blocking traffic-wise, or the company itself. 

Also note, because VPN is a generic term being used for remote access, there are several methods that companies can use to accomplish this.  The following are some common port (TCP/IP protocol stack) assignments that can provide remote connectivity:

Port Service
20,21 FTP (File transfer)
22 SSH (Remote login secure)
25 SMTP (Internet mail)
53 DNS (Host naming)
80 HTTP (Web)
88 Kerberos (computer authentication protocol)
110 POP3 (Client access)
119 NNTP (Usenet newsgroups)
123 NTP (Network time)
137-139 NetBIOS (DOS/Windows naming)
143 IMAP (Client access)
161,162 SNMP (Network management)
163,164 CMIP (Network management)
443 HTTPS (Web secure)
514 Syslog (Event logging)
563 NNTPS (Usenet newsgroups secure)
993/tcp IMAP4 over SSL, Internet Message Access Protocol 
995/tcp POP3 over SSL, Post Office Protocol 
989,990 FTPS (File transfer secure)
1723 Virtual private network (VPN)

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#17 : September 25, 2008, 01:10:29 PM

Were you able to connect to the VPN through your router before? If so, then there might be settings that you might want to check with the IT dept. of the company that you work with. Also if you can connect and access information through your company's intranet by direct connect to your modem, then this will point to something that either your router is blocking traffic-wise, or the company itself.

Also note, because VPN is a generic term being used for remote access, there are several methods that companies can use to accomplish this. The following are some common port (TCP/IP protocol stack) assignments that can provide remote connectivity:

Port Service
20,21 FTP (File transfer)
22 SSH (Remote login secure)
25 SMTP (Internet mail)
53 DNS (Host naming)
80 HTTP (Web)
88 Kerberos (computer authentication protocol)
110 POP3 (Client access)
119 NNTP (Usenet newsgroups)
123 NTP (Network time)
137-139 NetBIOS (DOS/Windows naming)
143 IMAP (Client access)
161,162 SNMP (Network management)
163,164 CMIP (Network management)
443 HTTPS (Web secure)
514 Syslog (Event logging)
563 NNTPS (Usenet newsgroups secure)
993/tcp IMAP4 over SSL, Internet Message Access Protocol
995/tcp POP3 over SSL, Post Office Protocol
989,990 FTPS (File transfer secure)
1723 Virtual private network (VPN)

I'm using Cisco VPN client to connect.   Next to the host name, under transport it says  IPSec/UDP

This is my first attempt to remote connect from my home
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tech guys, some help please « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools