Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why is sports radio a joke? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

: December 26, 2006, 06:52:36 PM

Duemig bashed Gruden today for drafting Michael Clayton instead of Steven Jackson. He said that knowing what we know now, Jackson would have been a top 3 pick in 2004. I guess he is trying to say that Gruden is a poor judge of talent. But it is funny that Duemig forgot about the 22 other teams that also passed on Jackson.

And the guy sitting in for Sileo this morning is a complete moron.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 26, 2006, 06:59:50 PM

But it is funny that Duemig forgot about the 22 other teams that also passed on Jackson.

Did all 22 teams need a RB that year.   ??? 

The Buccs running game sucked and we were in desperate need of an upgrade.  I think 90% of Buccs fans were shouting for Jackson when we were picking.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing but Jackson was a legitimate 1st round RB and we needed an upgrade.

#2 : December 26, 2006, 07:03:49 PM

I was shouting for Jackson..oh well, hindsight 20/20

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 26, 2006, 07:08:15 PM

But it is funny that Duemig forgot about the 22 other teams that also passed on Jackson.

Did all 22 teams need a RB that year. ???

The Buccs running game sucked and we were in desperate need of an upgrade. I think 90% of Buccs fans were shouting for Jackson when we were picking. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but Jackson was a legitimate 1st round RB and we needed an upgrade.

He was passed up by a number of teams because of his knee injury. At the time, Jackson would have been a bigger risk than Clayton. Nothing will **CENSORED** teams the way a knee injury will. You can fall an entire round if you have a knee injury.

Keep in mind that all draft picks are a gamble. Just because they are good in college doesn't mean they will be good in the NFL.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 26, 2006, 07:09:56 PM

I was shouting for Jackson..oh well, hindsight 20/20

We messed up three drafts running:

2002 - Took Marquise Walker instead of Brian Westbrook  - Thanks Rich McKay  [banghead]

2003 - Took Chris Simms instead of Domanick Davis - McKay again, but jury still out.  >:(

2004 - Took Clayton instead of Steven Jackson  ::)

2005 - Finally got a RB.  :o

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 26, 2006, 07:18:38 PM

Everyone is bashing Gruden for his draft picks, but McKay also didn't draft well at the end of his days as Bucs GM. He drafted guys like Shaun King, Simms, and Kenyetta Walker. King and Walker are busts in my opinion, and the jury is still out on Simms. Dungy also wasn't doing that great (McFarland) and he's doing a crappy job up in Indy right now which he is getting a lot of heat over.

#6 : December 26, 2006, 07:50:45 PM

King, sadly, is on of McKay's best picks IMO, albeit a reach.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#7 : December 26, 2006, 08:45:44 PM

Not one person was complaining about the pick of Clayton after his rookie season.   As a matter of fact, everyone was commending the pick.   I actually think the pick of Clayton was a pretty good one, it just ended up that Clayton wasn't "professional" enough to maintain his career once his wallet was full of cash and he had some injuries that needed to be rehabbed.   I guess it's just too difficult for him to put the party scene aside and concentrate on getting back to a high level of play.    That doesn't mean the scouting staff did a bad job of analyzing Clayton's talent coming out of college - he lit it up year one.   

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 26, 2006, 08:46:58 PM

By the way, sports radio in Tampa is a joke because the listeners allow it to be that way.   Stop listening to those lame guys.   They'll get fired and replaced by guys who are hopefully better.   

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#9 : December 26, 2006, 08:49:01 PM

If a guy has talent when you draft him, you never know if you'll see it for one game, one year or 10 years. In that sense, you can't second guess taking Clayton.

In Verner We Trust

#10 : December 26, 2006, 09:18:47 PM

I think everyone thought we were gonna take SJ. Even the ESPN guys were saying that when we were on the clock.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 26, 2006, 11:14:26 PM

Not one person was complaining about the pick of Clayton after his rookie season. As a matter of fact, everyone was commending the pick. I actually think the pick of Clayton was a pretty good one, it just ended up that Clayton wasn't "professional" enough to maintain his career once his wallet was full of cash and he had some injuries that needed to be rehabbed. I guess it's just too difficult for him to put the party scene aside and concentrate on getting back to a high level of play. That doesn't mean the scouting staff did a bad job of analyzing Clayton's talent coming out of college - he lit it up year one.

Had Clayton played to his full potential. He would have been a better pick than Jackson.

This team seems to have some motivation issues. And that's not really all the fault of the coaching. Even when Dungy was here, this was a problem. There were games where this team showed all the heart in the world. Other games they just were plain FLAT and seemed like they didn't care.
When I went to Disney back in July to see some of training camp. There was no focus at all. Simms threw the ball maybe 6 times (4 of which were off the mark). Galloway was dropping every other pass (one time throwing his helmet in disgust). Cadillac seemed to be more concerned with signing autographs. The only one doing ANYTHING at all was Gradkowski.

And dont give me the crap that they won't play for Gruden. Do you have the option to choose the boss you want to work with? No. If you don't like your boss, you quit! You leave. And that in my opinion is what any player needs to do if they dont want to play in Tampa anymore. I'd rather see a rookie out there playing the very best he can than an overpaid vet whining because something aint going his way.

#12 : December 26, 2006, 11:29:43 PM

Duemig bashed Gruden today for drafting Michael Clayton instead of Steven Jackson. He said that knowing what we know now, Jackson would have been a top 3 pick in 2004. I guess he is trying to say that Gruden is a poor judge of talent. But it is funny that Duemig forgot about the 22 other teams that also passed on Jackson.

And the guy sitting in for Sileo this morning is a complete moron.

the other 22 teams weren't in need of a franchise rb.  I have to question his judge of talent because we haven't had much luck since he's been here. Personally, when Jackson fell to us I thought it was a no-brainer. I also have to question him because he drafted a rb that cannot catch the freakin ball.

#13 : December 26, 2006, 11:31:42 PM

If a guy has talent when you draft him, you never know if you'll see it for one game, one year or 10 years. In that sense, you can't second guess taking Clayton.

I question it because you can find big slow wrs anywhere.

bryan12112

Starter

#14 : December 26, 2006, 11:59:07 PM

The draft is a crapshoot. Going back and saying we should have taken this player over that one is ridiculous. You could do the same thing for EVERY team.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why is sports radio a joke? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools