Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why is sports radio a joke? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

« #15 : December 27, 2006, 12:15:39 AM »

Duemig bashed Gruden today for drafting Michael Clayton instead of Steven Jackson. He said that knowing what we know now, Jackson would have been a top 3 pick in 2004. I guess he is trying to say that Gruden is a poor judge of talent. But it is funny that Duemig forgot about the 22 other teams that also passed on Jackson.

And the guy sitting in for Sileo this morning is a complete moron.

the other 22 teams weren't in need of a franchise rb.  I have to question his judge of talent because we haven't had much luck since he's been here. Personally, when Jackson fell to us I thought it was a no-brainer. I also have to question him because he drafted a rb that cannot catch the freakin ball.

We havn't had a good draft for many years. Even with Dungy and McKay...they picked a lot of busts that we are still suffering from.

And lets be fair to Gruden, this past year was the first year we had a full allotment of draft picks. The Glazers gave up 2 first round picks, and 2 second round picks to Oakland. You cannot blame Gruden for that. He had nothing to do with negotiating that deal. You want to point fingers for losing those 4 picks...point your finger at Joel and Bryan.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #16 : December 27, 2006, 01:48:42 AM »

I was shouting for Jackson..oh well, hindsight 20/20

We messed up three drafts running:

2002 - Took Marquise Walker instead of Brian Westbrook  - Thanks Rich McKay  [banghead]

2003 - Took Chris Simms instead of Domanick Davis - McKay again, but jury still out.  >:(

2004 - Took Clayton instead of Steven Jackson  ::)

2005 - Finally got a RB.  :o

Hindsight is 20-20, LMAO!

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #17 : December 27, 2006, 01:51:20 AM »

2002 - Took Marquise Walker instead of Brian Westbrook  - Thanks Rich McKay  [banghead]

2003 - Took Chris Simms instead of Domanick Davis - McKay again, but jury still out.  >:(

It is, but in 2002 and 2003 Gruden targeted the right guy only for McKay to overrule him.  [banghead]   Then in 2004 with us desperate for a running game they go WR.....that isn't hindsight that is stupidity IMO.   ;)

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

« #18 : December 27, 2006, 01:57:05 AM »

It is, but in 2002 and 2003 Gruden targeted the right guy only for McKay to overrule him. [banghead] Then in 2004 with us desperate for a running game they go WR.....that isn't hindsight that is stupidity IMO. ;)
Problem with that is that Clayton had an outstanding rookie campaign.  NOBODY was complaining about that pick until game 5 or 6 of this year...

Now, there is no more use for the guy.  He is a role playing wideout, a third option FWIW.

But who knew?  I mean, even Clayton looked better than Jackson his rookie year...so...

And Simms over DD, well Simms in the third was a steal.  Or at least, it appeared that way.

Walker or Westbrook.  Coming out of college? 

Woulda coulda shoulda.  Bah.

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

« #19 : December 27, 2006, 03:05:41 AM »

Problem with that is that Clayton had an outstanding rookie campaign.  NOBODY was complaining about that pick until game 5 or 6 of this year...

And Simms over DD, well Simms in the third was a steal.  Or at least, it appeared that way.

Walker or Westbrook.  Coming out of college? 

Woulda coulda shoulda.  Bah.

Practically everyone was livid about the Clayton pick, and his rookie year just got the scouts off the hook.  The main problem this team had was the running game, and it was never addressed.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

« #20 : December 27, 2006, 03:28:41 AM »

Practically everyone was livid about the Clayton pick, and his rookie year just got the scouts off the hook. The main problem this team had was the running game, and it was never addressed.

Everyone was definitely livid about the Clayton pick when it happened.    Then again though, how many fans are really experts on the college players coming out?   I just go by what the "experts" like Mel Kiper say.   But really, I'm pretty clueless.   Especially since I dont even watch one college game a year!  LOL!    I was hoping they'd take Jackson that year, but I still can't say the Clayton pick was wrong - given his production the first season.   I think Doug Williams was the main guy who was in Clayton's corner when he came out that draft (if I'm not mistaken).

4bucs

Hall of Famer
« #21 : December 27, 2006, 04:44:03 AM »

with how good clayton and cadillac did their 1st year how can you call them busts,think they hung around and saw to much of Booger.

TDTB

Second String

« #22 : December 27, 2006, 05:19:38 AM »

The whole "hindsight" thing is okay for fans, but not for people who's job is to analyze and pick players as rookies and FA. Can't expect them to hit all the time, but its their job to hit most of the time.

coolhandluke

Starter

« #23 : December 27, 2006, 05:52:39 AM »

If anyone here remembers DUEMIG hated Jackson and said he was over rated. Could not catch a pass out of the Back field and his Stock had dropped.  Duemig also said last year one of his GREAT "SOURCES" told him VINCE YOUNG was maybe a 4th round pick at best. .....Duemig praised the Cadillac Pick.. so did everyone in this town..
By the way if Caddy had carried the ball 22 times for 56 yards do ya THINK DUEMIG might have bashed him yesterday?? OH yeah lets not forget the DROPPRD PASS by ASTOTT either

Our picks have been fine..some have worked and some haven`t..
JOE MONTANA was taken in the 3rd round..

NUFF SAID

zellmiller

Hall of Famer

« #24 : December 27, 2006, 06:06:26 AM »

The draft is a crapshoot. Going back and saying we should have taken this player over that one is ridiculous. You could do the same thing for EVERY team.

You win the award for the smartest guy, in a stupid argument.   My goodness if we had only killed Osama when we had the chance.   The other fact that you forget is that they have a VERY GOOD QUARTERBACK THAT CAN THROW THE FREAKING BALL........MY GOD ARE YOU SO STUPID THAT YOU FAIL TO REALIZE IT IS THE SYSTEM THAT FITS THE BACK.  LOOK AT DENVER, ANY STIFF OFF THE STREET CAN RUN FOR 1,000 YARDS........TALENT+SITUATION=SUCCESS

I WISH WE HAD STEPHEN JACKSON......................WHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.....WHAHHHHHHHHHH........FREAKING BABY

Huge ego, not a gruden guy,  doesn't use MIKE.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

« #25 : December 27, 2006, 07:43:32 AM »

Zellmilller, you are cracking me up.   Although I must admit I'm quite drunk right now and just told a gorgeous girl that I'd rather go home alone, so I question my sensibility at this point.     But I'd like to add WAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH why didn't we keep Lynch?   

I don't give rats behind about Jackson though.   

« #26 : December 27, 2006, 04:22:36 PM »

with how good clayton and cadillac did their 1st year how can you call them busts,think they hung around and saw to much of Booger.

Caddy is a bust because he is a total liability in the passing game and that was the knock on him b4 he was drafted. Its this kinda thing that has me questioning the personnel evaluation side of the current regime.

#2Linebacker32

Starter

« #27 : December 27, 2006, 09:27:04 PM »

Caddy is a bust because he is a total liability in the passing game and that was the knock on him b4 he was drafted. Its this kinda thing that has me questioning the personnel evaluation side of the current regime.

was he a bust last season? I think not so that post meant nothing. The reason he had such a bad year is dude to the Gradkoswski factor. Load the lin up put 8 men in the box and make up one demesional with a rookie QB and not hitting the open target downfield. Not crying about it but its facts and it really had an effect on caddy this year. Cant do it with Ratty because he has played in this leauge before and teams know if you load the line and go Press man coverage then your asking for truoble. Its happend in Chacago and in Cleaveland and it will happen this week agianst Seattle..

« #28 : December 27, 2006, 10:26:46 PM »

All of this is why the draft is a crapshoot guys and gals.  You never know.  Clayton was a lights-out pick at the end of the 2004 season.  Now where is he?  Ryan Leaf was the second-coming and we all know his result.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

« #29 : December 27, 2006, 10:36:46 PM »

Cadillac was the best athlete available at #5. That's what everyone said and agreed on. Who else did you want them to pick at #5?

Yes, the hype was too high. People were calling him the next Walter Payton. And that was very unfair.
You arn't going to get a Walter Payton or Barry Sanders. Guys like that only come around once every few decades. Give the guy a break.
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why is sports radio a joke? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools