Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Whats best for the Bucs this weekend... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#45 : December 27, 2006, 12:05:54 PM

I don't think it's foolish. Some people want the Bucs to lose this game so that they can have one or two jumps in the draft. Well, 0-16 pretty much guarantees you a #1. If draft position is that critical that you want the team to blow a game for it; why not just blow 16 games and be assured of the #1? Whereas you think my comments are silly (and indeed they are of sarcasm), I think it's silly to hope your team loses a game just for the possibility of gaining a spot next April.

your response, sarcastic or not, was over the top.  No buc fan wants to go 0-16 for any reason. 

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#46 : December 27, 2006, 12:06:22 PM

I don't think it's foolish. Some people want the Bucs to lose this game so that they can have one or two jumps in the draft. Well, 0-16 pretty much guarantees you a #1. If draft position is that critical that you want the team to blow a game for it; why not just blow 16 games and be assured of the #1? Whereas you think my comments are silly (and indeed they are of sarcasm), I think it's silly to hope your team loses a game just for the possibility of gaining a spot next April.

Not a sopt.  Possibly 5 spots.  Big difference.  

Shag

Pro Bowler

#47 : December 27, 2006, 12:06:36 PM

I thought you were just joking about missing the point. I guess you were serious.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#48 : December 27, 2006, 12:14:51 PM

Poor attempt at sarcasm by Grudenfan and a weak analogy to boot.

And don't try to tell us who is or isn't a real fan. Nobody asked you for
your opinion on that.

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#49 : December 27, 2006, 12:15:15 PM

Shag, it was a sarcastic point. I would never wish or hope for the Bucs to go 0-16, and I don't think anyone who supported the team would wish that either. However, no one has the ability to know how each player in next year's draft will impact (or not impact) the team. Ryan Leaf was #2, and he was one of the biggest busts in NFL history. I just don't think it's worth it right now. I would like to see the Bucs win on Sunday because I don't like seeing them lose. If the Bucs lose, I hope they played their hardest. I really don't care right now about the potential position in the 2007 Draft right now; because there's a long time between now and then, and a lot can change in that time.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#50 : December 27, 2006, 12:16:48 PM

"to me that's not much of a fan"

"youre not a TRUE fan"

"a real fan would never root against his team"

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

There's a lot of holier than thou in this topic.

I myself, love to watch us win. I'm happy when we win, but I also understand it messes up our draft position which is VERY important. (those of you that say otherwise are ignorant)

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#51 : December 27, 2006, 12:18:42 PM

Poor attempt at sarcasm by Grudenfan and a weak analogy to boot.

And don't try to tell us who is or isn't a real fan. Nobody asked you for
your opinion on that.

You're entitled to your opinion, Joe, and I'm entitled to mine. I didn't realize that people would take a silly comment about "let's go 0-16" seriously. It'd be foolish to begin to want that for your team. However, as I said before, I think it's also foolish to want your team to lose too. We just have different views on the matter; I suppose.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#52 : December 27, 2006, 12:19:40 PM

I just don't think it's worth it right now. I would like to see the Bucs win on Sunday because I don't like seeing them lose. If the Bucs lose, I hope they played their hardest. I really don't care right now about the potential position in the 2007 Draft right now; because there's a long time between now and then, and a lot can change in that time.

It's worth more than chemistry or pride. If you want them to win because you like seeing them win, that's fine. I want them to lose because I want the best chance to rebuild this team into a winner. The draft isn't a sure thing, but our position in the draft is important, and it's the only thing we can gain or lose right now from losing or winning.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#53 : December 27, 2006, 12:20:27 PM

well logically, if we win and other teams lose well, we will drop considerably. The season is over, for the greater good its best if we lose. I dont want to lose either but lets be realist around here, if we win it does zip for us besides move us down potentially 4 spots...

Baghead #2

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#54 : December 27, 2006, 12:20:43 PM

To lose, we can use the 3rd pick to trade down (if we find a suitable partner). Winning does nothing for the team at this point.

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#55 : December 27, 2006, 12:26:55 PM

It's just a difference of opinion. I'm not saying you're right, I'm right, you're wrong, or I'm wrong. I just don't agree with 'rooting' for your team to lose; regardless of the potential draft position. That's just a difference I have with others.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#56 : December 27, 2006, 12:28:11 PM

Grudenfan, you may think wanting your team to lose is silly. That's fine. You also don't think it's
worth the few spots we may move up. That's fine too.

I just have a problem when somebody tries to define a real fan or true fan because of this difference
in philosophy. That's all.

I don't know what I want. I always root for the Bucs to win. Last week I was torn. And this
week? I know rooting won't affect the outcome so I'll root for them to beat Seattle. But I
have zero problem with a loss.

#57 : December 27, 2006, 12:28:52 PM

What's best for the Bucs is a loss. There's not much of an arguement on that one. Draft position has value. There is nothing we can gain by winning.

pride?

Will 5-11 make anyone more prideful than 4-12?

#58 : December 27, 2006, 12:30:46 PM

There's nothing to be gained by winning? How about momentum, or the fact it will rally the troops around each other, I'm sorry but you can't place any college player on a higher pedestal than team morale and chemistry.

How'd momentum help the Dolphins this year? Next to the Steelers, no team finished the season with more momentum than they did.

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#59 : December 27, 2006, 12:33:29 PM

But I
have zero problem with a loss.

You and I do agree.  :)

I have no issues with a loss this late in the game; with the record the Bucs currently own. What I always have a problem with is wanting to see your team lose. Again, it's just a difference of opinion. If the Bucs lose, they lose. It doesn't really affect me beyond five minutes after the game has ended. It's just a game. But, I never want to see them lose. I can handle it when it happens, but I never want to see it happen.

:

Hide Tools Show Tools