Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Whats best for the Bucs this weekend... « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

#60 : December 27, 2006, 12:47:11 PM

Java posted this a few days ago and i figured it worthy of reposting:

We'll get a good draft pick?   That's what our fans were saying in 1989.  We had the 6th pick in the draft.   We won the final game of a dismal season. Had we lost our final game, we would have had the 3rd pick.   People were saying we'll still get a great pick, no worries.   

That draft went like this:

3) Barry Sanders
4) Deion Sanders
5) Derrick Thomas
6) Broderick Thomas

Winning that last game was a killer.

I hope history doesnt repeat itself this year.
[/b]

I'm sure winning the final game of the season did wonders for our following season ** insert sarcasm here **

acacius

Hall of Famer

#61 : December 27, 2006, 12:54:54 PM

We'll get a good draft pick?   That's what our fans were saying in 1989.  We had the 6th pick in the draft.   We won the final game of a dismal season. Had we lost our final game, we would have had the 3rd pick.   People were saying we'll still get a great pick, no worries.   

3) Barry Sanders
4) Deion Sanders
5) Derrick Thomas
6) Broderick Thomas

[/b]

I'm sure winning the final game of the season did wonders for our following season ** insert sarcasm here **

Of course, while I'm firmly in the camp that would be perfectly fine with the Bucs losing the last game, I could turn it around and point you to the 2001 draft:

1 Atlanta Michael Vick QB Virginia Tech
2 Arizona Leonard Davis T Texas
3 Cleveland Gerard Warren DT Florida
4 Cincinnati Justin Smith DE Missouri
5 San Diego LaDainian Tomlinson RB Texas Christian

On average, higher draft position is better than slightly lower draft position.  So I'm certainly not HOPING that the team doesnt have a top 3 pick.  But in the end, you just never know.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#62 : December 27, 2006, 01:03:23 PM

But look at those teams that picked ahead of San Diego.  Those are the teams that are year in and year out picking in the top 5.  The Chargers got their high picks right and we will most likely be watching them in the Superbowl later this season.  The Bengals eventually got one right in Carson Palmer and they could be in the Superbowl any year now.  The Browns and Cardinals constantly blow their pick and thet'll be right there with us this year.  I have faith in our scouting department to make the most of our pick to keep us from falling into the mud with the Cardinals and Browns.

escobar

Hall of Famer

#63 : December 27, 2006, 01:33:54 PM

It's pretty amusing to me to read all of the "you aren't a fan if you want us to lose" posts. Nobody wants us to lose just for the sake of seeing us lose, yet that is pretty much what you people are implying. Sure the draft is a gamble but if we win on Sunday and end up losing out on say CJ one pick ahead of us, and he goes on to be a perennial pro-bowl player we are going to be pissed. You can't say that the rooke we bring in will "most likely have little impact for us next year". That is just plain dumb to say because you honestly don't know for sure, that is just pure speculation. What happened the last time we picked in the top 5? Oh that's right we got the rookie of the year, I'd say he impacted our team just a little bit. And I'm not saying the rookie will definitely have an impact for us either, the point is nobody knows so if you want to argue why or why not we should win don't use how the player will impact us as the basis of your argument.

In 95 what if we had won a few more games and lost out on Brooks and Sapp? I think it's safe to say that the period between 96-2002 would have been very different, and our SB win may not have ever came to be. A higher draft pick also gives us more ammo to acquire more draft picks if we so choose, which is also great for our future. IMO the higher pick and all the possibilities it brings is much more advantageous to us than a win against what will probably be a team of backups this weekend.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#64 : December 27, 2006, 02:29:45 PM

great points in this thread.

bottom line, lose and get the opportunity to draft better players or trade and aquire more good players, win and lose that opportunity.

it is quite simple really.

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#65 : December 27, 2006, 02:30:35 PM

Its a conundrum. your heart says win and your head may say lose will help the future. It still sucks to watch em lose

BUKANEER

Rookie

#66 : December 27, 2006, 03:47:49 PM

I want the Bucs to win. Why? Because this is the last time I will get to see the team I support for 8 months or so. It has been a crap season to be a Buc and I want it to go out on a high(er) note.

As far as the draft is concerned, having a higher draft pick will not automatically going to turn this franchise around, and as others have stated, it is a crap-shoot and being high draft pick does not necessarily mean a player will be better in the long run than someone picked below him.

Besides, what kind of confidence boost does losing give? None. And you never know, winning this game may change the whole atmosphere for next season.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#67 : December 27, 2006, 04:02:26 PM

Besides, what kind of confidence boost does losing give? None. And you never know, winning this game may change the whole atmosphere for next season.

Actually maybe if we lose this game, it will drive the players more in the offseason. More like this game will have no mental impact on the team after 8 months.

TbayBucs

Pro Bowler

#68 : December 27, 2006, 09:04:35 PM

With all due respect to Coach Edwards, I wasn't thinking of him when I wrote that message. But, it's true; isn't it? You play to win the game; not to just show up for 60 minutes.

The fans don't play to win the game.

No; but when i buy my season tickets ; I paid to see them win.

#69 : December 27, 2006, 09:10:18 PM

3) Barry Sanders
4) Deion Sanders
5) Derrick Thomas
6) Broderick Thomas

[/b]

I highly doubt Barry Sanders does well here, and I don't think that Deion is AS good. JMO of course.
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Whats best for the Bucs this weekend... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools