Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Whats best for the Bucs this weekend... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#30 : December 27, 2006, 11:08:32 AM

With all due respect to Coach Edwards, I wasn't thinking of him when I wrote that message. But, it's true; isn't it? You play to win the game; not to just show up for 60 minutes.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#31 : December 27, 2006, 11:14:51 AM

Back to back wins may.

Back to back wins, one of them against the Browns, after a 5-11 season is going to motivate the team?  ???

I root for the team to win each game.  If you root for them to lose one game, where do you draw the line?

"Super Bowl or bust!  If we aren't going to win the SB, I'd just prefer us to go 0-16 and get the #1 pick!"

I draw that line in the last few weeks of a season that is already lost.  Winning one game means nothing to this team next year.  Getting a higher draft pick may not mean much next year either, but it'll mean a whole hell of a lot more in 08 than that win will.  

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#32 : December 27, 2006, 11:17:08 AM

Always go for win.  It is not meaningless at all.  I am very proud of the energy the Bucs have shown ion the lasat few games.  i respect that level of character and I would love to see them win.  Go Bucs...

#33 : December 27, 2006, 11:19:05 AM

With all due respect to Coach Edwards, I wasn't thinking of him when I wrote that message. But, it's true; isn't it? You play to win the game; not to just show up for 60 minutes.
Agreed.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#34 : December 27, 2006, 11:21:31 AM

The fans don't play to win the game.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 27, 2006, 11:32:23 AM

Since there's not an obvious top pick in this year's draft, what would you think if Reggie Bush was in this draft
and we didn't have Cadillac AND we had a shot at Bush with a loss?

I know most answers will stay the same but it's just not a fair argument this year. Was Reggie considered a
crap shoot when he was taken?

acacius

Hall of Famer

#36 : December 27, 2006, 11:35:10 AM

I'll root for the Bucs as they play, but I won't be upset at all if they lose.  And frankly, while I expect the players on the field to play for the win and the coach to call the plays to try and win, I'd be perfectly ok if he lets some of our better players sit out this game.  Maybe let some guys like Zematais get some PT even if they're not "ready" yet.

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#37 : December 27, 2006, 11:40:27 AM

The fans don't play to win the game.

What type of fan wants his/her team to lose? To me, that's not much of a fan.

#38 : December 27, 2006, 11:44:25 AM

Back to back wins may.

Back to back wins, one of them against the Browns, after a 5-11 season is going to motivate the team?  ???

I root for the team to win each game.  If you root for them to lose one game, where do you draw the line?

"Super Bowl or bust!  If we aren't going to win the SB, I'd just prefer us to go 0-16 and get the #1 pick!"

I draw that line in the last few weeks of a season that is already lost.  Winning one game means nothing to this team next year.  Getting a higher draft pick may not mean much next year either, but it'll mean a whole hell of a lot more in 08 than that win will.  

What is your definition of "lost"?  That's my point.  I would argue that a good half of the teams getting into the playoffs have no chance of winning the SB.  Does that mean that their season is lost?  No.

It's football.  You play to win games.  Sometimes, you make the playoffs, sometimes you don't.  IMO.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#39 : December 27, 2006, 11:47:36 AM

What type of fan wants his/her team to lose? To me, that's not much of a fan.

A fan who is willing to look past this game and see the team in the best position for the future.

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#40 : December 27, 2006, 11:55:23 AM

We have the youngest offense in the league and I disagree that 2 wins at the end of the season wont help their psyche

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#41 : December 27, 2006, 11:58:45 AM

Back to back wins may.

Back to back wins, one of them against the Browns, after a 5-11 season is going to motivate the team?  ???

I root for the team to win each game.  If you root for them to lose one game, where do you draw the line?

"Super Bowl or bust!  If we aren't going to win the SB, I'd just prefer us to go 0-16 and get the #1 pick!"

I draw that line in the last few weeks of a season that is already lost.  Winning one game means nothing to this team next year.  Getting a higher draft pick may not mean much next year either, but it'll mean a whole hell of a lot more in 08 than that win will. 

What is your definition of "lost"? That's my point. I would argue that a good half of the teams getting into the playoffs have no chance of winning the SB. Does that mean that their season is lost? No.

It's football. You play to win games. Sometimes, you make the playoffs, sometimes you don't. IMO.

My definition of lost is beyond the possibility of playoffs and beyond the possibility to build on next season.  This one game means nothing to us.  When there were 6 games left I wanted us to win even though the playoffs were out of range.  When there were 4 games left I wanted us to win so we could build on the future by teaching the young kids how to win.  When there is one game left it is too late for any of that.

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#42 : December 27, 2006, 11:59:02 AM

In that case, I suppose the greatest fan should wish for the Bucs to go 0-16 next season. Then, we'll get the first pick in the 2008 draft, and we'll be in great shape for the future. If we keep putting up 0-16 seasons, we'll have a whole team of #1 draft picks! The Bucs shouldn't ever try to win a game; that'd be foolish! ;) There's so much we can do for our future by just being defeated each year.

All those players next April will be rookies next fall. There's no way of knowing how a kid will play in the NFL by just looking at his performance in college.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#43 : December 27, 2006, 12:00:12 PM

In that case, I suppose the greatest fan should wish for the Bucs to go 0-16 next season. Then, we'll get the first pick in the 2008 draft, and we'll be in great shape for the future. If we keep putting up 0-16 seasons, we'll have a whole team of #1 draft picks! The Bucs shouldn't ever try to win a game; that'd be foolish! ;) There's so much we can do for our future by just being defeated each year.

All those players next April will be rookies next fall. There's no way of knowing how a kid will play in the NFL by just looking at his performance in college.

That is just a stupid argument and you know it. 

GrudenFan63

Hall of Famer

#44 : December 27, 2006, 12:03:52 PM

I don't think it's foolish. Some people want the Bucs to lose this game so that they can have one or two jumps in the draft. Well, 0-16 pretty much guarantees you a #1. If draft position is that critical that you want the team to blow a game for it; why not just blow 16 games and be assured of the #1? Whereas you think my comments are silly (and indeed they are of sarcasm), I think it's silly to hope your team loses a game just for the possibility of gaining a spot next April.

:

Hide Tools Show Tools