Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the Bucs won't win it all « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

: September 12, 2008, 11:15:44 AM

There's one simple reason the Bucs are not positioned to win it all this year in their home stadium, and why they're not likely to even advance much in the playoffs if they actually make it to the post-season:

Not enough penetration into the opposing backfield.

You can talk about overall defensive statistics, you can talk about lack of offense, you can talk about who the QB of the present and future is going to be. None of that is nearly as important to this team's success as getting pressure on the opposing QB and getting in the backfield.

The Bucs have assembled the pieces of a potentially pretty good running game. If that gets on track, the QB issues become less critical for the most part, as the run game will carry the offense.

Some will say not enough sacks or not enough pressure on the QB, but that's only half of it.

Coach Kiffin's defense is built around pressure, and more specifically is it reliant on a disruptive force at the three technique. The UT has to get into and disrupt the opponent's backfield on a regular basis, whether run or pass. The three has to penetrate the backfield on a run and force the ball carrier into the NT's gap or outside to the DE's or where the LB's can work down the line and make the play. On a pass the three forces the QB to throw quickly because he's in his face or forces him outside the pocket where the DE's can clamp down on him.

Offense, defense, special teams, whatever. A disruptive UT is the key to not only the Bucs defense, but the team's fortunes as a whole. I don't care who is lining up at DE in this defense, they won't post nearly the quality numbers they'd be able to post with a disruptive force at the three technique.

This regime needs to find that guy this offseason.

They've apparently appropriately addressed the defensive backs. The linebacking corps is younger and looks promising. They've added a high pick at DE. They've taken a shot at a potential long-term solution at KR and PR. They've worked hard on the OL and the running game.

Let's fix the UT for 2009 and really crank things up.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#1 : September 12, 2008, 11:16:52 AM

Man did you see the Phili D against the Rams?

Wow, that is pressure man

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#2 : September 12, 2008, 11:19:36 AM

when do we get to play the Rams?

#3 : September 12, 2008, 11:22:07 AM

Wow.....as much as I hate to admit it.....Spot On...as usual !

......but for the time being, I'll keep the fantasy alive....Bucs go to the Super Bowl in 2009 !!!!  in Tampa.....& since we are talking fantasy....against the Oakland Raiders  ;)

GenBrooks55

VA_Buc30

Starter

#4 : September 12, 2008, 11:24:46 AM

Instead of constantly looking for the next Warren Sapp (which will never happen), why doesn't Monte adjust his scheme to the players he currently has?
Gets old constantly hearing that the Bucs need to find player A next offseason.  Adjust the defensive scheme to the strengths of your current players.

#5 : September 12, 2008, 11:28:19 AM

This is true VA_Buc. You can't just sit around waiting to find another HoF undertackle, they don't come along very often. Better to adjust the scheme depending on personnel. I think Kiffin has done this to some extent.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#6 : September 12, 2008, 11:29:01 AM

Instead of constantly looking for the next Warren Sapp (which will never happen), why doesn't Monte adjust his scheme to the players he currently has?
Gets old constantly hearing that the Bucs need to find player A next offseason.  Adjust the defensive scheme to the strengths of your current players.

Let's let the season play out...I think Monte showed Sunday a willingness to vary from the usual script of his defense...he knows more than anybody the need for pressure...

Even though he's our nickel corner right now, I think Talib was drafted to be a one-on-one corner guy to free up some others to have at the QB...

I think he'll mix it up Sunday...

#7 : September 12, 2008, 11:32:59 AM

Plenty of teams can get pressure without a warren sapp.  We really need to get over this.

And it wasn't lack of pressure that did us in last week.  For all that pressure would have helped us, that little screen to Bush isn't one that the UT stops.  The biggest thing that hurt us on D was the poor tackling and mistakes (a mis timed Jump and a bad angle) by two guy in their first game here, one of which was a rookie and the other was a backup LB playing out of position because the other backup had to come out with cramps.

You can win it all without a dominant UT at the position in this defense, it's just not as pretty.  You have a harder time getting off the field on third down, so you're more dependent on your O.  If the O is holding the ball, then it's a lot easier for the D now.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#8 : September 12, 2008, 11:59:38 AM

Monte has made some adjustments this off-season, however these adjustments only mask the root of the problem. Making these adjustments make the defense more vulnerable in other areas. Sure, I'd like to see it happen this year and without a dominant UT, but this defense is built around that position like Coach Gruden's offense is built around the QB.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#9 : September 12, 2008, 12:07:01 PM

That was a long post DTG, you could've just said "No pass rush".

That's been evident for a while..

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#10 : September 12, 2008, 12:09:26 PM

No, read the post. It isn't only pass rush.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#11 : September 12, 2008, 12:15:26 PM

Two words come to mind " Peria Jerry" at 6'3 295 armed with a sub 4.9 forty has great burst at the snap active three technique tackle he routinely beats down blocks by tackles and can penetrate to force the quarterback to hurry his decision.  

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#12 : September 12, 2008, 12:23:57 PM

here are two other players that fit what Kiffin is about as it pertains to the UT spot

Evander Hood
George Hypolite

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#13 : September 12, 2008, 12:30:18 PM

The UT is one of a half dozen reasons why we wont win it all.

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#14 : September 12, 2008, 12:58:05 PM

No, read the post. It isn't only pass rush.

I read it, and I'm not indicting your opinion. It's just that New Orleans threw the ball on 12 of 13 3rd downs, converting 5 times for 3 first downs and two TD's. 42% and 12 points. If we had some kind of pass rush, perhaps those numbers aren't as good and we don't have to scrap at the end of the game..

I get your affinity for the UT, and I agree that we need good play there too, but we were disruptive enough to hold the Saints run game in check. Take away Bush's 26 yard run (I know, I know), and we stil held them to 3.2 ypc.

I guess just I'm more of the opinion that, at this point in time, we specifically have to pressure the QB more with the entire front 4 rather than rely on just the UT to ignite this defense and get us to the SB..

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the Bucs won't win it all « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools