Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the Bucs won't win it all « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Madman

Hall of Famer
#15 : September 12, 2008, 01:06:29 PM

UT is clearly the straw that stirs the Tampa 2 drink.

Now finding a disruptive UT like Sapp or Tommie Harris is the problem. They are rare.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#16 : September 12, 2008, 01:10:28 PM

I get your affinity for the UT, and I agree that we need good play there too, but we were disruptive enough to hold the Saints run game in check. Take away Bush's 26 yard run (I know, I know), and we stil held them to 3.2 ypc.

Even without a disruptive UT, Monte Kiffin's defense is still a gap-control, one gap defense. However, to elevate the defense to the caliber needed to be a serious contender and remain true to what Monte has best developed here, the disruptive three technique is essential.

#17 : September 12, 2008, 01:13:10 PM

I get your affinity for the UT, and I agree that we need good play there too, but we were disruptive enough to hold the Saints run game in check. Take away Bush's 26 yard run (I know, I know), and we stil held them to 3.2 ypc.

Even without a disruptive UT, Monte Kiffin's defense is still a gap-control, one gap defense. However, to elevate the defense to the caliber needed to be a serious contender and remain true to what Monte has best developed here, the disruptive three technique is essential.

To get back to the level of defense that we had in 99-02, absolutely.  But you don't need that level of defense to win it all.  You can win with a lesser defense than that.  You make it sound like until we get that there's no way we can do it, and I don't buy that.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#18 : September 12, 2008, 01:13:21 PM

the thing that gets me, is with monte's D the UT is supposedly the glue.  in grudens O i would assume its the QB.  yet we just try to get by at both these positions.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#19 : September 12, 2008, 01:17:30 PM

Instead of constantly looking for the next Warren Sapp (which will never happen), why doesn't Monte adjust his scheme to the players he currently has?
Gets old constantly hearing that the Bucs need to find player A next offseason.  Adjust the defensive scheme to the strengths of your current players.

I agree. Just tweak the Tampa 2 a little.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#20 : September 12, 2008, 01:18:41 PM

Been preaching that for years dude...I'm telling you the reason we got Talib is because they knew we didn't have a #99 clone, or anything close for that matter, to disrupt the middle so they needed to be able to cover longer...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#21 : September 12, 2008, 01:21:03 PM

Instead of constantly looking for the next Warren Sapp (which will never happen), why doesn't Monte adjust his scheme to the players he currently has?
Gets old constantly hearing that the Bucs need to find player A next offseason. Adjust the defensive scheme to the strengths of your current players.

Because you can't!  It's that simple.  This defense is unstoppable when the front four are getting a pass rush and getting to the QB.  This defense is less than pedestrian when we bring more than those front four guys...it's that simple...

Did anyone see the pathetic stunting going on besides the DE's getting blocked by TE's who really can't?  It was bad fella's. 

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#22 : September 12, 2008, 01:23:13 PM

I actually think that in 2004 when the Buccaneers drafted Michael Clayton at 15 thr player they really wanted went one pick ahead of the Bucs, when the Bears drafted Tommie Harris

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#23 : September 12, 2008, 01:24:00 PM

I actually think that in 2004 when the Buccaneers drafted Michael Clayton at 15 thr player they really wanted went one pick ahead of the Bucs, when the Bears drafted Tommie Harris

I wouldn't discount that notion one bit.

benir0

Hall of Famer

#24 : September 12, 2008, 01:28:05 PM

Gets old constantly hearing that the Bucs need to find player A next offseason. Adjust the defensive scheme to the strengths of your current players.

Because you can't!  It's that simple.  This defense is unstoppable when the front four are getting a pass rush and getting to the QB.  This defense is less than pedestrian when we bring more than those front four guys...it's that simple...

Did anyone see the pathetic stunting going on besides the DE's getting blocked by TE's who really can't?  It was bad fella's. 

Right.  This whole defensive group of personnel is built from the ground up to play this defense.

We will see if this was a product of the Saints or are we just that bad.  I mean, I know we aren't great getting penetration, but the Saints controlled the LOS without really running the ball.

rowdie

Hall of Famer

#25 : September 12, 2008, 01:54:32 PM

Well I'm not sure there a "the reason" but yes lack of pressure from the down four is very problematic to say the least.

What happened to this fellow from San Fran?

DYK, we have a college football forum... http://www.pewterreport.com/forum/index.php?board=5.0

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#26 : September 12, 2008, 02:01:06 PM

gee because we already have a qb controversy in week 2???

I would say that may contribute to it....

either way....this would be a good year to get there since NE is probably down for the count

RedAlert

Hall of Famer

#27 : September 12, 2008, 02:40:34 PM

What happened to this fellow from San Fran?

He's now a fellow in Baltimore..

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 22, 2008, 02:17:04 PM

Hmmmm... lack of pressure exposes the defensive backs.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#29 : December 22, 2008, 02:18:19 PM

DTG is right bang on.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the Bucs won't win it all « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools