Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden's not ready to marry any quarterback « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#15 : September 12, 2008, 04:50:42 PM

DTG - you stated that " They doubted that he was the best choice for a long while, but decided to let him have the first shot at proving them wrong. He didn't, and he's being replaced." So if they had such doubt why not look for a replacement or draft a player that has a huge upside.

you mean like trading for  a veteran QB (say, a Brian Griese type) or drafting a long-term project with upside (maybe someone in the Josh Johnson mold), or maybe hedging by keeping around a veteran who didn't appear to have a future with the team just to add some competition and insurance at the position (someone like a Chris Simms, perhaps)?

not sure why they didn't think to do anything in that vein, yuccaneers

in all seriousness, though, there just weren't alot of options out there unless we wanted to give up a whole lot to try to pry away one of the brown unproven but widely hyped QBs....looks like not picking brohm was justified given his current status on the packers rosted, and no other QBs we could've drafted looked like hands-down upgrades now or in the future.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#16 : September 12, 2008, 04:53:58 PM

Griese is not an upgrade over Garcia.

#17 : September 12, 2008, 04:55:52 PM

DTG - you stated that " They doubted that he was the best choice for a long while, but decided to let him have the first shot at proving them wrong. He didn't, and he's being replaced." So if they had such doubt why not look for a replacement or draft a player that has a huge upside.

you mean like trading for  a veteran QB (say, a Brian Griese type) or drafting a long-term project with upside (maybe someone in the Josh Johnson mold), or maybe hedging by keeping around a veteran who didn't appear to have a future with the team just to add some competition and insurance at the position (someone like a Chris Simms, perhaps)?

in all seriousness, though, there just weren't alot of options out there unless we wanted to give up a whole lot to try to pry away one of the brown unproven but widely hyped QBs....looks like not picking brohm was justified given his current status on the packers rosted, and no other QBs we could've drafted looked like hands-down upgrades now or in the future.

^^^well played

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#18 : September 12, 2008, 05:02:02 PM

More Yas...he's apparently in the mood today:

Sharell (Raleigh, NC): Love your work....Is Gruden being impatient because he could be on the hot seat if the Bucs don't make it to the playoffs?

Pat Yasinskas: Hello. Thanks for being here. As you know, I cover the NFC South. Let's try to keep questions to that area, but I'll do my best to answer all questions. Is Gruden being impatient? Absolutely. But that's just Gruden. He does need this game, though because an 0-2 start would put him on the hot seat.

Ethan (Toronto, ON): Do you think the Bucs are really going to trade Garcia, if so what team do you think will pull the trigger, and what do you think his value is?

Pat Yasinskas: I'm hearing now they won't trade him. Doubt there'd be much value. Who wants to change QBs in the middle of a season, besides the Bucs?

Xander (Philly): Do you see Warrick Dunn's role increasing or decreasing as the season progresses?

Pat Yasinskas: Increasing.

Sharell (Raleigh, NC): As a Falcon Fan I am hoping that the Bucs locker room is in total disarray for the game on Sunday. How do you think the team is taken Gruden vs. Garcia. You have to love Turner and Norwood RB tandem.

Pat Yasinskas: Could be, a lot of players aren't happy with the way Garcia's been treated by Gruden. Turner/Norwood is great tandem.

Jason, PA: Will Michael Clayton ever return to his rookie form?

Pat Yasinskas: Not with the Bucs.

Chris Simms: Hello? What about me? I can win I swear.

Pat Yasinskas: I think you can, too. Good luck with the Titans.

tucci, nyc, ny: are the bucs a better team with griese? i saw him play in the pre-season and he looked sharp against the pats. i love garcia, and thank him for a division title last year. but at some point all the minor injuries have to take there toll? i read the articles that call garcia a better athlete. do you believe this to be the case present day?

Pat Yasinskas: I don't think there's much difference between Garcia and Griese overall. Each has their little advantages, but I think they're pretty much the same guy in that offense. Griese, fully healthy, probably is better right now.

Dave (Tampa): Did Galloway look as bad in person as he did on TV? His routes were horrible. Do you think it's only because of no work in the preseason, or is he finally showing his age, or a little of both?

Pat Yasinskas: I think age is catching up to him. Guy like that should be able to come in without a lot of preseason work.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=22395

acacius

Hall of Famer

#19 : September 12, 2008, 05:04:06 PM

Sadly, it's just Yasinskas being Yasinskas.  This is pretty par for the course from him from what I've seen.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#20 : September 12, 2008, 05:05:44 PM

No I mean make a serious attempt at trading up in the draft or by trading for a veteran like Losman or someone else the team might have felt would have been better then Garcia since they had such doubts, Griese is at the same stage in his career as Garcia just waiting to breakdown.

On  a side note it seems when ever the Bucs are in a  down year and in the top five in the draft there is never that cant miss type of QB or other prospects. Think this team needs to seriously upgrade the skill positions on offense rather then all of this bubble gum and glue they try to use. Bite the bullet and truly rebuild, which is something Allen and Gruden seem hesitant on doing, but the team is only going to be in worse shape because of it.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

MBF

Hall of Famer

#21 : September 12, 2008, 05:06:08 PM

Yasinskas is 2nd to Sal Palwhatever in terms of being annoying.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#22 : September 12, 2008, 05:07:51 PM

On  a side note it seems when ever the Bucs are in a  down year and in the top five in the draft there is never that cant miss type of QB or other prospects. Think this team needs to seriously upgrade the skill positions on offense rather then all of this bubble gum and glue they try to use.
I agree, we could do with some new receivers and maybe another top level back if Caddy is finished. I'm just not sure we can find those players, particularly the WR's, thru the draft. Our best bet might be a trade.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#23 : September 12, 2008, 05:12:26 PM

Griese is at the same stage in his career as Garcia just waiting to breakdown.

Griese is hitting Gruden's prime years for a QB...

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#24 : September 12, 2008, 05:16:54 PM

Would rather the team spend the money on players like receivers Lee Evans and TJ Houshmandzadeh sign DE Terrell Suggs and draft a LT, DT, WR, CB, DE

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#25 : September 12, 2008, 05:23:59 PM

if this was really the case, why not make a play for a good QB like favre rather than an average one like griese?  if you are drafting your QB for the future (johnson) why not try to win as many games as possible in the meantime?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

K-Swiss

Starter

#26 : September 12, 2008, 05:45:50 PM

you mean like trading for? a veteran QB (say, a Brian Griese type) or drafting a long-term project with upside (maybe someone in the Josh Johnson mold), or maybe hedging by keeping around a veteran who didn't appear to have a future with the team just to add some competition and insurance at the position (someone like a Chris Simms, perhaps)?

if this was really the case, why not make a play for a good QB like favre rather than an average one like griese? if you are drafting your QB for the future (johnson) why not try to win as many games as possible in the meantime?

...cause when Griese was available it would have been tampering to go after Favre.  But they were interested in Favre when available, although they haven't been too vocal about that interest.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"They thought it was the end of the world, The day they heard the pirates sing-But the only treasure for a Buccaneer, Is a Super Bowl Ring\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

MBF

Hall of Famer

#27 : September 12, 2008, 05:49:10 PM

I think the dog in Chev's sig could do a better job than Garcia in his current state.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#28 : September 12, 2008, 06:55:28 PM

Mar 2, the Bucs traded for Griese.
Mar 4, Favre formally announces retirement.
Jul 29, Favre files for reinstatement.
Aug 7, Favre traded to the Jets.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#29 : September 12, 2008, 10:54:45 PM

im pretty sure the bucs could have dumped garcia or griese no problem to clear way for favre.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden's not ready to marry any quarterback « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools