Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A thought on Simms... « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
: December 27, 2006, 11:26:32 AM

I know some of us scratched our heads with the signing of Simms. I kind of like it because I think Simms is the most talented QB we have on our roster and we really only saw him for three games (two of which were horrible). Gradkowsi played well early but seemed to get worse as the season went on.

I was thinking about why Simms regressed so much from how he played last year to this year. Some might say it's because people have tape of him now. Maybe he's not really that good. Maybe he just had bad games at the wrong time. Who knows, but I also had another thought.

Last year when he came in, he wasn't under nearly as much pressure. He wasn't the man and he came in and there wasn't a high expectation on him. This year there was a ton of pressure on him. Not only by the fans and the coaches but by himself. He only signed a one year deal for $2 million. If he had a big season, he was going to make a ton of money. I wonder if the kid just tried to hard to make plays.

I really hope the Bucs bring in a vetran this offseason to compete with him, but hopefully (now that he has a 2 year deal) he will put a little less pressure on himself and he can return to his 2005 form.

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 27, 2006, 11:28:20 AM

Did he actually sign??

Baghead #2

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 27, 2006, 11:30:07 AM

I think of it more as an insurance policy. With so little out there available in free agency this year, I think Allan and Gruden want to make sure we have a QB that knows the system and has had some success.

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 27, 2006, 11:34:22 AM

The deal has not been announced.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 27, 2006, 11:37:57 AM

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/12/27/Bucs/Bond_clearly_built_on.shtml

Bond clearly built on masochism

By GARY SHELTON shelton@sptimes.com
Published December 27, 2006

If you had told me that Tonya Harding had gone back to Jeff Gillooly, it would not have surprised me. After all, dysfunction has its own chemistry, and some folks are destined to share a set of hubcaps as they go through life.

If you had told me that Britney Spears had forgiven Kevin Federline, it would have made perfect sense. As long as they are intent on making terrible music, they might as well make it together.

Same with Whitney and Bobby, or Jessica and Nick, or Pamela and Kid Rock. Some people repeat their mistakes. Some people deserve each other, and the rest of us don't deserve either one.

But Jon and Chris? Together again?

That one knocks me over.

Evidently, Jon Gruden and Chris Simms are on the verge of renewing their vows with the Tampa Bay Bucs, and I am certain I speak for all of us when I sum it up this way:

Huh?

Is this a good idea? Or is this one of those situations where you want to grab both parties and scream, "Why?"

The last time we saw them in action, Gruden and Simms seemed perfectly awful for each other. Simms would botch a play, and Gruden's face would twist like a pirate's, and Gruden would curse, and Simms would grow more cautious.

And so it went. You know how some people seem to bring out the worst in each other? Together, Gruden and Simms seemed to bring out the worst in the Bucs' offense.

It seemed like an ill fit, Gruden's schemes and Simms' skills, and for many of us it made sense they would seek their successes with someone else as soon as the divorce decree was final.

Simms would find a place with fewer three-step drops. Gruden would find a player who didn't have so many passes knocked back in his face. Simms would find a coach who didn't scream into his face as often. Gruden would find that quarterback with wheels he so covets.

And now they want to sing another duet? The guy with the vented spleen and the guy with the dented one want to ride together again?

So what happened? Thirteen weeks away from each other happened. The longer they stayed away from each other, the better the other guy looked.

Simms spent 13 weeks away from the game, and he realized the NFL doesn't lob million-dollar checks at quarterbacks who haven't won a game in a year. Gruden spent 13 weeks with quarterbacks who couldn't get the ball deep to Joey Galloway if they called FedEx.

Next thing you know, they were re-pitching woo.

It would be grand to believe, of course, this was like one of those buddy movies where the cops just don't like each other until they discover how much they need each other to solve the case.

After all, Simms is a terrific kid, tough and well-liked by his teammates, and he still has more arm than any other quarterback the Bucs employ. It was just a year ago, remember, that people were comparing Simms to Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger. For the Bucs, that made Simms worth signing.

As for Simms, well, the Bucs are the known quantity. Between his injuries and his inexperience, it's hard to believe anyone else was going to hand him the keys to the franchise.

Both sides, however, ought to concede that the quarterback shopping can't be considered complete with Simms' signing. Perhaps the key mistake of this season was going into the year with only Simms, Tim Rattay and Bruce Gradkowski. Going into next year with the same bunch would be a mistake, too.

How good a quarterback is Simms? At this point, no one really knows. Counting last season's playoff loss to Washington, Simms has started 16 games. He has won seven. His rating is only 59.1. Seven times, his offense has scored 10 points or fewer.

He has had a couple of great games and a couple of awful ones. Looking back, I would give him two A's, seven B's, three C's, two D's and two F's. That's promising, but it's not going to make the dean's list.

In other words, Simms is worth bringing back. But the search should not be over.

Every year in the NFL, quarterbacks shake loose. It will happen this time, too. Maybe Daunte Culpepper will wind up on the market. Maybe Jake Plummer or Mark Brunell or Byron Leftwich or Jeff Garcia.

In other words, it was touching to hear that Gruden wants to get back together with Simms.

Just to be safe, however, maybe he should see other people, too.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 27, 2006, 11:59:25 AM

good read ufojoe!

BucsAddict

Starter

#6 : December 27, 2006, 02:44:17 PM

haha that was a pretty good article.

==================================================
Gruden: Simms is gonna be a helluva quaterback- unless I screw it up.

#7 : December 27, 2006, 04:07:59 PM

I know some of us scratched our heads with the signing of Simms. I kind of like it because I think Simms is the most talented QB we have on our roster and we really only saw him for three games (two of which were horrible). Gradkowsi played well early but seemed to get worse as the season went on.

I was thinking about why Simms regressed so much from how he played last year to this year. Some might say it's because people have tape of him now. Maybe he's not really that good. Maybe he just had bad games at the wrong time. Who knows, but I also had another thought.

Last year when he came in, he wasn't under nearly as much pressure. He wasn't the man and he came in and there wasn't a high expectation on him. This year there was a ton of pressure on him. Not only by the fans and the coaches but by himself. He only signed a one year deal for $2 million. If he had a big season, he was going to make a ton of money. I wonder if the kid just tried to hard to make plays.

I really hope the Bucs bring in a vetran this offseason to compete with him, but hopefully (now that he has a 2 year deal) he will put a little less pressure on himself and he can return to his 2005 form.

Regardless of how you feel about Chris talent/potential wise I hope bucs fans are just happy for the kid and that he wants to be a BUC. There are too many players on this roster who dont want to be here.

I believe I heard him say the a fact that was key in why he wanted to come back was the fact that he wanted to stay with ONE team his whole career

#8 : December 27, 2006, 04:11:29 PM

10-7 td/int ratio....... his '05 form wasn't that great.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 27, 2006, 04:12:37 PM

The deal has not been announced.

It took a while, but it has now:

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?newsid=5598

#10 : December 27, 2006, 05:51:42 PM

There are too many players on this roster who dont want to be here.
Like who?

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#11 : December 27, 2006, 05:52:58 PM

Yeah, who doesn't want to be here? Or is that a speculative statement?

buckit

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 29, 2006, 01:08:49 PM

Simms' ills were all mental.  Before goin down in game 4, it looked like he finally shook that...but who knows how he'll react now...QB is such a mental game.

Dear Glazers,

Please sell the team to Eddie DeBartolo.

Thank you,
--the fans

#13 : December 29, 2006, 03:01:45 PM

Simms' ills were all mental.  Before goin down in game 4, it looked like he finally shook that...but who knows how he'll react now...QB is such a mental game.

It IS mental...and part of that is being resilient.  He needs to improve that part of his game, obviously.  I'm pulling for him.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 29, 2006, 03:44:36 PM

I thought Simms went down in game 3?

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: A thought on Simms... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools