Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Crystal Ball towards 2009 « previous next »
Page: 1

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
« : September 13, 2008, 03:45:18 PM »

I know it is rather early to be looking ahead, but figured I would take a brief glimpse into the very near future towards the 2009 draft and free agency. Here is what I would do to help open of the passing game as well as add a pass rush.

First here is a list of players that would not be resigned, retained or asked back weather it be because of performance, age, or just dont add much to the team.

Michael Clayton
Ike Hilliard
Jeff Garcia
Kevin Carter
Will Allen
Jermaine Phillips - might be too pricey

Free agency
WR Lee Evans
DT Tank Johnson
QB JP Losman
S Sean Jones
CB Daunta Robinson

Other then Evens no really huge money getters

Players resigned
CB Phillip Buchanon
QB Luke McCown
WR Antonio Bryant
DT Javon Hayes

2009 Draft
1. DE Greg Hardy first round grade from NFLdraftscout.com
2. WR Darrius Heyward-Bey second round grade from NFLdraftscout.com
3. DT Peria Jerry third round grade from NFLdraftscout.com
4. OT Phil Loadholt fourth round draft grade from NFLdraftscout.com
5. WR Brandon Tate fifth round draft grade from NFLdraftscout.com
6. S CJ Spillman sisth round draft grade from NFLdraftscout.com
7. DE Ian Campbell seventh round draft grade from NFLdraftscout.com

2009 Training Camp Depth Chart
QB Griese, McCown, Losman, Johnson
RB Graham, Dunn, Williams, Bennett
FB Askew, Storer
TE Smith, Gilmore, Stevens, Troupe
WR Galloway, Evans, Bryant, Heyward-Bey, Stovall, Jackson, Tate
OT Penn, Trueblood, Lee, Loadholt
G Sears, Joseph, Zuttah
C Faine, Mahan

DE Adams, White, Hardy, Wilkerson, Campbell
DT Hovan, Hayes, Johnson, Peria, Petterson, Moore
OLB Brooks, June, Black, Hayes
MLB Ruud, Hayward, McCoy
CB Barber, Buchanon, Talib, Robinson, Mack
S Jackson, Sabby, Jones, Spillman

K
P
LS

60 players with a real chance to make the team

Players on the Bubble would be
McCown
Bennett
Troupe
Tate
Moore
Peterson
McCoy
Mack
Lee
Campbell

With three out of the BUBBLE players making the roster

I just dont think the team will be able to fix everything in one off season

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler
« #1 : September 13, 2008, 04:23:35 PM »

wouldn't be surprised if joey hangs it up ...

bait619

Starter

« #2 : September 13, 2008, 05:18:46 PM »

This looks like an appropriate place for this:

Things I would like to see this offseason (dreamworld)

There are 4 potential free agents that I would like to see us open the checkbook for (I think we have enough cap space, but I don’t know, and somehow Snyder does it, although that is not the example I want to follow)…I just think that these guys are too talented not to put all our efforts into. 

1.    Nmandi Asomugha – one of the very best corners in the league and should give us the best corner stable in the league with Talib and Barber (keep P-Buc and Mack if possible and the depth would be the best also)

2.   Albert Haynesworth-don’t need to explain this one, he is just flat out dominant…these two would put our already great defense over the top (Suggs would be a nice defensive sign also, but I don’t think we can afford him with everything else I want to do)

3.   Roy Williams- yes he has been injured often but when healthy he is a true #1 receiver with great hand s that can make big plays and play the possession receiver

4.   Lee Evans- perfect complement to Roy with speedy big play ability (Joey G still has talent but he can’t stay healthy enough to rely on and I see a retirement after next year)

This would start the complete transformation of our receiving corps, but I’ll get to that in a minute.  I would love Boldin but his cost would ruin my draft dreams.
Next comes the draft: Do WHATEVER it takes to get Michael Oher and Jeremy Maclin in the first round, including trading two future first rounders…I know it sounds like a lot and it is, but if we get these two, our O-line would be spectacular all the way across and our WR corps would actually have speed and talent.  Oher is being compared to Walter Jones and Orlando Pace…I want that!!  No disrespect to Penn, I like him but he’s not All-Pro and he might make the best backup LT in the league.  And as far as Maclin goes, he is proving today that he is a speedy playmaker, except he is 6’1”, not 5’9”. 

So now I will explain my WR corps…With Williams and Evans starting and Galloway coming off the bench, Joey could stay healthy and fresh enough for two more seasons (and that could create some matchup problems.)  I keep Stovall and Dexter Jackson for special teams and perfect depth.  I would trade Clayton and Garcia during this season so they are worth the most even if that isn’t much.
WR Corps:

Roy Williams
         Lee Evans
         Joey Galloway
         Maurice Stovall
         Jeremy Maclin
         Dexter Jackson

Now there is some talent and speed and depth there and D-Jax and Maclin would have no pressure to carry the team but could definitely create even more matchup problems and we would have two viable kick returners. 

QB!!!
Now to appease those of us that think we need a franchise QB (that’s me!!)…I like JJ but I have my doubts and reservations that he will develop quickly enough for us or even enough.  And that is why I think we draft our future franchise QB in Chase Daniel.  I don’t make this decision based on today’s performance; I have been keeping tabs on him for a while and I love his game.  He is short so he will probably fall into the second or third round (I’ve seen some mocks that have him falling a lot further, bit we all know how inaccurate those are at this point in time).  I take him in the second so no chance to miss out on him cause he is perfect for this offense.  I see Drew Brees written all over this guy (Drew Brees is and has been my favorite QB since his first year here in SD).  They are both 6’ and have similar styles of play and I personally love the combo of Chase and Maclin continuing.  All that said I wouldn’t mind a Mark Sanchez or other highly ranked QB in the second.  Maybe even Grothe later for the local boy story (I’m sure we’ll here that one even though it never happens). 

And I’m not done with the draft…for depth and future in the third round:

Vance Walker, Georgia Tech
Height: 6-2. Weight: 294.
Projected 40 Time: 4.89.
Projected Round (2009): 2-3.
5/9/08: Vance Walker made major strides in 2007, registering 8.5 sacks in 13 games. Oh, and he's just as good at stopping the run as he is getting to the quarterback.
Hopefully, Dre Moore actually succeeds but it isn’t looking that way.  This guy gets to the QB from the DT position and will make our D that much better.  Put him on the board!

I think after that we hit up DE/RB/S (T-Jax hard-hitting corner that falls due to 40 speed type) and hopefully find gem that can stick with the team. 

I think that fills every weakness I can think of and I keep Griese for one more year to give Chase a year to learn and I think even Griese could win with that line, running game and receivers. 

Well, we can all dream right.  Sorry for the long read but dreams can be elaborate. 

Now that I have woken up…first things first…let’s whoop ATL!!

bait619

Starter

« #3 : September 13, 2008, 05:22:46 PM »

i wouldn't mind Peria Jerry instead of Vance Walker and would love Brandon Tate in the late rounds, hopefully he could make the team

also, i'm not sure that if phillips is too expensive that sean jones would be cheap enough either

bait619

Starter

« #4 : September 13, 2008, 06:18:24 PM »

dunta robinson was also on track to be a top level cover corner but he still isn't fully recovered from his injury...so there is no telling what you get

dmajik85

Hall of Famer
« #5 : September 13, 2008, 06:24:54 PM »

No matter what we get a blue chip WR... hopefully Roy Williams. I wouldn't be surprised if we bring Losman in should McCown walk; he looks too much like Rob Johnson to pass up ;)

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer
« #6 : September 13, 2008, 06:41:30 PM »

We need to move on from the "White Tiger".  You cannot have this guy sittin around TC doin' nothing while guys are bustin' their a$$es. especially on a young team.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

« #7 : September 13, 2008, 06:46:05 PM »

let me guess...you just posted your madden franchise...

signing Dunta Robinson is a little unreleastic if we are going to have Barber, Talib, and Buchanon....

dont mind the draft...but I will be pissed if we spend another high pick on a WR...

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
« #8 : September 13, 2008, 07:06:05 PM »

No not a madden franchise, with Barber getting up there in age and Robinson coming off of a knee injury in 2007 and currently on the PUP, the thinking is the team could get CB that has flashed playmaking ability in the past on the cheap to ease him into the lineup behind Barber or Buchanon.

With the team having both Bryant and Clayton becoming free agents and both Hilliard and Galloway aging rather quickly a second round pick on a player with speed and size in the second in not a bad pick, the Tate pick in the later rounds adds a player that can potentially be a kickoff and punt return man not to mention a player that can come in and help the receiving corps. The addition of Evans gives the team a deep threat who is already somewhat polished as a receiver.

Signing  a player like Tank Johnson who has had a checkered past but has great first step quickness and has played in the Tampa 2 before along with Peria Jerry provides depth not to mention great competition for both Haye and Hovan.

The addition of Hardy and Campbell in the draft gives the team two more edge rushers with great up side.

Losman provides a younger experienced qb to battle with Griese and McCown for the right to start and backup while also letting it be known that Johnson will have to show something if he wants to stick.

Loadholt provides depth at both left and right tackle and could develop into a decent LT.

With the Browns having both Pool and Jones to worry about resigning a player that can either start or continue to push Sabby and Jackson not to mention is young then Phillips.

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

Booker

Hall of Famer

« #9 : September 13, 2008, 07:10:18 PM »

But we are still f'd at the Qb position.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
« #10 : September 13, 2008, 07:13:31 PM »

Considering there isnt a true franchise caliber QB in this draft or in free agency should the team be able to improve at the other skill positions along with the pass rush the QB then would be more of a care taker and just asked not to lose games.

Oliver Goldsmith

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

« #11 : September 14, 2008, 11:37:06 AM »

I am not to sure about that.
this guy is a gamer...................
Chase Daniel threw for 405 yards to set the school career passing record and Missouri scored on its first 10 possessions in a 69-17 win Saturday over Nevada.

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Crystal Ball towards 2009 « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools