Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: First HDTV purchase « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

: September 14, 2008, 03:07:20 AM

I figured it's about time to hop onto the HD wagon...Looking to get a 37" HDTV to replace my 27" CRT tele. The room has 6 - 10 ft viewing distance, depending on where you sit.  I want to keep the price under $1000, and even thats pushing it, prob more like $900.  Was planning on a 720p set. I'm not sure if 1080p will even be that noticeable on a 37" TV?   Right now I'm looking at 3 that are all around my price range. They have  about the same specs, except with a few differences, e.g.  contrast ratios and response times are different.  I'm not too sure of the importance of the contrast ratios and response times, I've been up tonight trying to read about it all on the net, and have come up with mixed results, some sources say it's not that important, others say it is vital ???

Samsung 37" Series 4        cr: 10,000:1    rt:  6ms

Sony BRAVIA 37" M Series     cr: 9,000:1    rt:  8ms

LG 37" 37LG30                      cr: 12000:1    rt:  5ms

The LG is about $50 cheaper than the other two, but it I've noticed that Samsung and Sony generally garner better reviews.

Any thoughts?

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#1 : September 14, 2008, 03:09:21 AM

good topic - will be looking for your answers for my own purchase -need to add two more TVs to the household

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#2 : September 14, 2008, 05:24:24 AM

Are you limited to 37'' in screen size?  I think you could find a larger screen at the same cost.  If the television is the main one for the house, I suggest looking more into a 1080p set.  Some people will say that 1080p is not necessary because there are no stations that will be broadcasting in the format. That is quickly changing.  It is the future.  Most HD camcorders use it as a standard.  Blu-ray players also put out 1080p and will be dropping prices drastically this season. I bet you will find them for under $200 come the holidays.
http://hdguru.com/sony-to-drop-blu-ray-player-pricing-in-september-other-makers-to-follow/263/

I think the Xbox and PS3 also output a 1080p signal. There is also 1080p content online that can be displayed on your television.  Most of the new televisions have computer inputs. Here are a couple of 1080p providers which marks the beginning of sending Blu-ray.  Fios has the most capability so you know they shouldn't be far behind.

The satcaster also revealed that it will begin offering movies in 1080p high-def video, the highest resolution format available, and the same resolution available on the Blu-ray high-def disc. DIRECTV did not offer a launch date for 1080p movies, other than to say "later this year."
http://www.tvpredictions.com/dexpansion072808.htm

Satellite TV provider DISH Network today became the first known TV broadcaster to put out video in a full 1080p (1920x1080 progressive) resolution. Starting with an August 1st Video On Demand option for the movie I Am Legend, DISH says it will start offering 1080p whenever the content is available rather than the lower-resolution 1080i (interlaced) or 720p HD normally aired on DISH and other TV services. Using VOD effectively gives the image quality of Blu-ray but at a lower price than renting a disc, the satellite firm claims.

Such a breakthrough closes one of the perceived gaps between TV and pre-recorded forms of HD such as Blu-ray and digital downloads. While downloads in particular are rarely offered in 1080p, both these and Blu-ray often provide better image quality than most live TV, which has been hampered by the frequent need to heavily compress the signal as well as a scarcity of channels. TV nonetheless has the advantage of reducing storage limits on the customer's end, which have contributed to the maximum 720p limit on Apple TV and Xbox 360 movie rentals.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/07/31/dish.1080p.tv/

Ability of the eye to see 1080p

A person's ability to distinguish small details is described by visual acuity. When individual pixels are barely resolvable, increased resolution brings little benefit for the viewer unless the viewing distance can be shortened or the display enlarged. Thus for 1080p television viewing, there is a minimum size to distance ratio to see a significant benefit. The ability of the eye to resolve 1080p content also depends on the amount of contrast in the picture. For optimum viewing, it is recommended to sit back approximately three times the diagonal of the screen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

A 1080p television is 1920 x 1080 pixels. A 720p television is either 1368 X 768 or 1280 x 720 or similar.  A 1080p(Blu-ray) and 1080i(Fios, DTV, Dish, Cable) source signal is 1920 x 1080 pixels, this means only a 1080p television can display that signal pixel for pixel without rendering. If you think about it, how are 1920 x 1080 pixels going to fit in 1280 x 720 space. They will lose pixels no matter the source. You never want your monitor to be less than your source if you are looking for the best picture possible. If coming from a standard CRT, any HDTV you get is going to look spectacular.  Standard television and DVD format are 720 x 480 pixels. 

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#3 : September 14, 2008, 05:40:28 AM

Stick with Samsaung when it comes to LCD.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#4 : September 14, 2008, 09:07:31 AM

BF, I'm not set on screen size, it's just I couldn't find a nice set 40" or bigger with 1080p in my price range. Even the 37" 1080p sets were too expensive. I also have to keep in mind that I'll need to spend more $$ for proper hookup cables too.  But I'm going to keep looking

Guru, the Samsung's do seem like real good quality sets. My father has a 40" 1080p Samsung that he got a little over a year ago and it's absolutely amazing.

I really would like to get a 40" Samsung but they're out of my range, with the cheapest I've seen at $1200. I've seen the 37" Samsung 1080p  for $1100.

edit: I just saw at BestBuy a Samsung series 5  37" 1080p set for $999.99. Looks like a good deal, but again it's really pushing it on the price, with cables and all...They also have a 37" 1080p Insignia, bestbuy's own brand, for $800. Although, I know people who have bought Insignia TV's in the past and have not been pleased with the quality of the product

LFO

Hall of Famer

#5 : September 14, 2008, 09:19:58 AM

I disagree.

I know Samsungs are generally considered 2nd best behind Sony LCD's, but we did not have a good experience.  Went through 2 Samsung LCD TV's, had to take both back with problems. 

Went ahead and picked up a Sony LCD, and it is MUCH MUCH better. 

LFO

Hall of Famer

#6 : September 14, 2008, 09:22:25 AM

BF, I'm not set on screen size, it's just I couldn't find a nice set 40" or bigger with 1080p in my price range. Even the 37" 1080p sets were too expensive. I also have to keep in mind that I'll need to spend more $$ for proper hookup cables too.  But I'm going to keep looking

Guru, the Samsung's do seem like real good quality sets. My father has a 40" 1080p Samsung that he got a little over a year ago and it's absolutely amazing.

I really would like to get a 40" Samsung, but they're out of my range, with the cheapest I've seen at $1200. I've seen the 37" Samsung 1080p  for $1100.

Cables are not expensive at all.

Don't waste your money on $100 monster HDMI cables.  You don't need them.

Get a $20 cable from Wal Mart, or go to a Sams Club/Costco and get a 3 pack bundle for around $50.  Better yet, go to an online retailer like NewEgg, Amazon, etc. and buy them there.  Sometimes can find a cable that will work just as well for less then $15.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#7 : September 14, 2008, 09:26:12 AM

I disagree.

I know Samsungs are generally considered 2nd best behind Sony LCD's, but we did not have a good experience.  Went through 2 Samsung LCD TV's, had to take both back with problems. 

Interesting. I've heard the opposite from people. They liked the Samsung picture much better than Sony. I guess it's all up to the individual. Either way, Sony's and Samsung's are both priced about the same. I'll just have to go check each out live  to see the differences..

#8 : September 14, 2008, 09:27:57 AM

Get cables from http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp 10 foot HMDI for $6.

On the TV, I would at least try and get a 42".  You really don't get a huge advantage with the HD resolution on smaller screens.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#9 : September 14, 2008, 09:31:28 AM

Here are some HDMI cables for $4 a piece that will work just fine

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&format=2

Also, if you look at online retailers like PriceGrabber.com you can probably get the TV you want for cheaper.  If you are dead set on seeing the TV, you can go to a retailer, look at all of the TV's, write down the ones you like, then look them up at a place like pricegrabber, and see if it is cheaper.  You can usually get them much cheaper through there or places like it.

If you insist on buying at a place like Best Buy, Circuit City, don't be afraid to haggle with them.  Ask them if this is really the best price. They can usually cut the price down a couple hundred dollars.  Don't be afraid to walk out...you'll be surprised what they can do to that price.  

#10 : September 14, 2008, 09:33:15 AM

I love monoproce, great website.  They ship really fast as well.  I ordered a cable at 11:00am Saturday once, normal shipping, and got it on Monday.

BTW - amazon.com are very cheap for TVs.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#11 : September 14, 2008, 09:34:55 AM

I disagree.

I know Samsungs are generally considered 2nd best behind Sony LCD's, but we did not have a good experience.  Went through 2 Samsung LCD TV's, had to take both back with problems.  

Interesting. I've heard the opposite from people. They liked the Samsung picture much better than Sony. I guess it's all up to the individual. Either way, Sony's and Samsung's are both priced about the same. I'll just have to go check each out live  to see the differences..

Samsung picture was ok, but the Sony is another league IMO.  

I originally wanted the Sony, but it was several hundred dollars more when we first purchased out Samsung. We went with the Samsung...the picture was good, just not as good as the Sony.  We had problems and went through 2 Samsungs.  The only good thing was by the time we got rid of the 2nd Samsung, the Sony price had come down so we got our money back and purchased the Sony.  Haven't looked back since.  

Samsungs are considered nice TV's,  especially the LCD's.  But I think the Sony's are better, and I thought that before I even had a bad experience with one (or two.)

LFO

Hall of Famer

#12 : September 14, 2008, 09:36:45 AM

I love monoproce, great website.  They ship really fast as well.  I ordered a cable at 11:00am Saturday once, normal shipping, and got it on Monday.

BTW - amazon.com are very cheap for TVs.

I also like monoprice.  I was going to mention them in my first post but went to find a cable first.  Come back, post, and you beat me to it!

There are a lot of online retailers where you can find a TV cheap.  Some people just don't like to do it that way.  I prefer to go look at the TV's, then come online and search and find the best deal for the one I want. I also will research problems people have had, etc. 

#13 : September 14, 2008, 09:41:39 AM

When i bought our 65" Bestbuy wanted $2500 plus tax.  Amazon was $1600, no tax and free shipping.  I buy pretty much everything online.

krazybuc

Hall of Famer

#14 : September 14, 2008, 11:00:51 AM

Go with VIZIO. Best buy for your money. You can get a 42" for 900 bucks.

#1 selling lcd brand.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: First HDTV purchase « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools