Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Do you think we have our future OL?? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

coopsxx

Starter
: October 11, 2006, 06:11:22 AM

I know alot of people want us to look at OT's in next years draft but i reckon we are set at OL for the future, with the exception of C.

I think AD is a solid LT, and like Trueblood will improve further, he is extremely young still for an OT.
Buenning and Joseph likewise.

I dunno if it is just a habit that we have fallen in to blaming the OL and looking for OL help that lends people to be asking for us to draft them

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 11, 2006, 08:13:52 AM

There's light at the end of the tunnel for sure. I love the fact that there's young cats on the line, AD, DB, DJ, and JT can become something special but they need a little more time. I think the Bucs should draft a LT this year or pick one up in FA.

replica

Hall of Famer
#2 : October 11, 2006, 08:19:21 AM

I'd like to see a young center, but with Mahan and Jackson in the mix they may be the one(s). Besides that, I'd say it's our depth at D that needs help in the draft this year.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 11, 2006, 08:21:35 AM

Our offensive line has been a work in progress every since Bill has been here.  While you can't rest on your SB laurels of years past, you have to give the guy credit for his accomplishments.  That group that helped us win the title was very forgettable.  Many of us don't even want to own the fact that Cosy Coleman was the starting RG.  Man would you like to have him back instead of Mahan right now?  I'm sure the jury is still out on AD, but you can't say many bad things about his play this year.  As a 3rd year guy, undrafted, 2nd year starting my man has worked hard and is progressing, IMO, very well from where he came.  Especially when the draft gurus out there want to put a premium on what it means to get a stud in the first round.  Even if we get a stud and move AD, you still have a guy nobody wanted and have made him at least serviceable and versatile, that speaks volumes that many of you don't want to see or lend credence to.  Then Dan Buenning has been good.  There's a guy you rarely hear from which is a good thing.  Davin is an unknown with promise and Trueblood is big with the potential to be better.  the good thing is they are all young.  Even AD as the elder statesman now is what 26 or 27?  My man isn't near his prime as an offensive lineman, but most if not all of you want to cast him aside because of his draft status and learning curve.  

Patience is a virtue most fans run out of, if they ever acquire it.  We've suffered through mediocrity with our offensive line for years and quite frankly, I feel your pain.  But I also see that they have addressed some of the issues and I'm sure will address them again next year.  It is what it is guys...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#4 : October 11, 2006, 08:43:52 AM

Kromer is doing a good job.  I hope he stays becuase if he leaves I do not have confidence in Muir doing anything at this point.

#5 : October 11, 2006, 08:52:21 AM

Patience is a virtue most fans run out of, if they ever acquire it.  We've suffered through mediocrity with our offensive line for years and quite frankly, I feel your pain.  But I also see that they have addressed some of the issues and I'm sure will address them again next year.  It is what it is guys...

I'm with you on this one.  Did you see the game ANthony Davis played on Sunday?  It was no coincidence that we gained so many yards to the outside on his side against the Saints.  He looked mobile in the outside running game, and solid in the passing game.  I think that the only thing we need to think about for the future on the OL is a C.

BuckEmUp

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 11, 2006, 08:58:53 AM

I don't think that LT is really a need next year, it may not be a need for many years to come.  Davis isn't going to make the probowl while he is here but the guy is solid and is showing signs of improvement.  However,  If we get a shot at a really good T then I would say take him and move Davis to guard.  What I would love to see is the Bucs draft a big time LT and have the line look like this:  Pick/FA, Davis, Buenning, Joseph, Trueblood.  I would much rather see the Bucs go out and get a better then good LT in FA next year and spend their picks on D.  Does anybody know who will be on the market?  I believe that Buenning has the smarts to learn the position and with Terry and Mahan as backups that can play any position on the line there would be no reason to keep more then 8 linemen each year with maybe one on the PS.

Garv

Hall of Famer
#7 : October 11, 2006, 09:01:41 AM

Our offensive line has been a work in progress every since Bill has been here.  While you can't rest on your SB laurels of years past, you have to give the guy credit for his accomplishments.  That group that helped us win the title was very forgettable.  Many of us don't even want to own the fact that Cosy Coleman was the starting RG.  Man would you like to have him back instead of Mahan right now?  I'm sure the jury is still out on AD, but you can't say many bad things about his play this year.  As a 3rd year guy, undrafted, 2nd year starting my man has worked hard and is progressing, IMO, very well from where he came.  Especially when the draft gurus out there want to put a premium on what it means to get a stud in the first round.  Even if we get a stud and move AD, you still have a guy nobody wanted and have made him at least serviceable and versatile, that speaks volumes that many of you don't want to see or lend credence to.  Then Dan Buenning has been good.  There's a guy you rarely hear from which is a good thing.  Davin is an unknown with promise and Trueblood is big with the potential to be better.  the good thing is they are all young.  Even AD as the elder statesman now is what 26 or 27?  My man isn't near his prime as an offensive lineman, but most if not all of you want to cast him aside because of his draft status and learning curve. 

Patience is a virtue most fans run out of, if they ever acquire it.  We've suffered through mediocrity with our offensive line for years and quite frankly, I feel your pain.  But I also see that they have addressed some of the issues and I'm sure will address them again next year.  It is what it is guys...

Nice post. Agree we have a work in progress but like where we are now as opposed to the past.
I have a feeling we are on the cusp of something good here with so many young guys starting.
I think we need help at center and certainly more depth and believe we will get it through FA and/or the draft.
Defense MUST come first this winter though, absolute MUST!

We are all here because we are NOT all there.....
As always, GO BUCS!!!

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 11, 2006, 09:09:21 AM

We need: LOT and C for sure. We have no idea if ROT or ROG are fixed. We might need as many as 4 parts for this line to get it to be a decent line and possibly as few as 2.

I agree with Dal that Davis at LT will always be a weakness.  With a mobile QB like Grads behind the line Gruden can compensate for a deficient pass protection a little, so Davis is serviceable.  I would like to see them go after D players in FA, and then draft Joe Thomas in the first round.  All the other draft picks can then be spent on the D.

O-line next year:

LT - Thomas
LG - Davis
C - Buenning
RG - Joseph
RT - Trueblood

nitey

Hall of Famer
#9 : October 11, 2006, 09:12:31 AM

I don't think you just move a player to center. I agree with Chev that AD doesn't get enough love for everything that he's done. Maybe AD will never be a star, but he's given us some solid play at left tackle this year. If the rest of the line comes to work with the same attitude and work ethic that AD shows we'd have one of the top 10 offensive lines in the league.

I really like the way the offense is starting to look. Even with Wade at center this offense shows some signs of coming around and being pretty good. Assuming that Grats first game is a sign of what to expect rather than simply a aberration. I really expect the offense to continue to get much better as thes season goes on.

Next year, look for a center, fullback and 3rd down back in FA and we could have a really good offense going into 2007.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

bluetick

Practice Squad

#10 : October 11, 2006, 09:14:36 AM

I would expect either Mahan or Wade to move on after this season. That being said I am leaning toward Mahan as being gone. I see him excelling in a Zone Scheme like Denver, Houston, Green Bay, Etc. He is just to weak up front for us. Also, Is Cornell Green the answer for depth behind Davis?  Look for the FO to target depth with versitile lineman that can play T or G. Also, I expect them to draft a top talent Center to Complete with who stays from this year or take over the position. I would like to see someone with 4 year experience, Big, Smart, and NASTY. Pair the guy with DB and DJ and we can hold the middle down for years to come. Dlines are getting bigger and we need to match it with a big oline. Like most I am happy now with the way our line looks except for center, We will have to see if the rest of the season changes our minds much

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 11, 2006, 09:14:59 AM

I don't think you just move a player to center.

Buenning has played a little center in college, and Davis was a guard.  I am presuming/hoping they could make that switch.  

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 11, 2006, 09:22:07 AM

AD doesn't deserve any love. He's gotten quicker but he's not a consistent performer. He blows a ton of assignments in run blocking - check the negative runs off that left side as well and still gives up pressure in the pass game. You look at the good offensive lines and you normally aren't looking at "good enough" at that spot, you are looking at really good. Davis isn't a physical or mental specimin that is ever gonna get you to that really good level.

I think many posters see any criticism has bashing, instead of the good honest critiquing it is meant to be.   If we want to get better we have to improve the areas of weakness and Davis is not a good LT.

Remember:

FAILURE TO CRITIQUE IS THE ACCEPTANCE OF MEDIOCRITY

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 11, 2006, 09:26:18 AM

There is light at the end of the tunnel as someone said but I still don't like the Idea of banking on Davis or Trueblood till we see more from him. Maybe not a first round pick but I could see us getting another OT in say rounds 2-4.

Baghead #2

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 11, 2006, 09:29:38 AM

There is light at the end of the tunnel as someone said but I still don't like the Idea of banking on Davis or Trueblood till we see more from him. Maybe not a first round pick but I could see us getting another OT in say rounds 2-4.

So you're not banking on Trueblood, but you want another 2nd-4th round tackle.  After taking Colmer and Trueblood with a 2nd and 3rd the last thing we need is another project if Trueblood doesn't pan out.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Do you think we have our future OL?? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools