Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Do you think we have our future OL?? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 11, 2006, 10:13:32 AM

No I'm not positive Trueblood is the answer, I don't think anyone knows that for sure at this point. I do think he has some value, allbeit after one game but we could use depth at OT, esp since Yatta is going to leave. Say Trueblood is a solid RT, then great, Davis is still mediocre at best, servicable but we could us another OT in the fold IMHO, not necessarily early but at some point. If we were to go out and get some bigtime FA's like Briggs, a DT that can shine in our scheme then I wouldnt be upset taking Levi Brown or Joe Thomas in the first, but that is just me.

Baghead #2

nitey

Hall of Famer
#16 : October 11, 2006, 10:24:35 AM

Well dal, everything is relative. It costs to have a probowl LT in terms of draft choice, salary and experience. AD is probably not probowl material, at least not this year but he's improved his play from last season and shows signs of consistant improvement. Enough to believe that his best play is still ahead of him.

I have watched the games (have both the games this year and last season on DVD), you are exaggerating when you say that he 'blows a ton of assignments'. That's simply not true. The Bucs picked up 187 yards last game, mostly on the left side and he's part of the reason for that success. No LT is perfect, many have missed assignments but the play still succeeds because either the running back makes a cut or another player picks up the assignment. AD is not the biggest problem on our offensive line. Also, lets not forget that the defenses know our tendencies are to run left, so they tend to cheat that way on running downs. Considering that the defense knows that 75-80% of the time we are running left AND we still get production tells me that AD is still probably doing a good to good enough job.

Are there better starting LT's in the league? Sure are.

Are there worse starting LT's in the league? Yep.

JMO, but I believe that this line can be fine with AD as it's starting LT if we can get the right side to play better thus allowing the offense to run both RIGHT and left with authority. Hopefully there is some hope of that with Joseph and Trueblood. Once the line has some balance I suspect AD will look a bit better than he does right now.

Success is when Skill meets OpportunityFailure is when Fantasy meets Reality

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#17 : October 11, 2006, 10:31:25 AM

Did Davis ever get a long term deal or is he a FA this year as well?

nitey

Hall of Famer
#18 : October 11, 2006, 10:40:04 AM

According to the NFLPA he's signed through 2008 at a very affordable 700k and 800k.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#19 : October 11, 2006, 11:20:45 AM

Our offensive line has been a work in progress every since Bill has been here.  While you can't rest on your SB laurels of years past, you have to give the guy credit for his accomplishments.  That group that helped us win the title was very forgettable.  Many of us don't even want to own the fact that Cosy Coleman was the starting RG.  Man would you like to have him back instead of Mahan right now?  I'm sure the jury is still out on AD, but you can't say many bad things about his play this year.  As a 3rd year guy, undrafted, 2nd year starting my man has worked hard and is progressing, IMO, very well from where he came.  Especially when the draft gurus out there want to put a premium on what it means to get a stud in the first round.  Even if we get a stud and move AD, you still have a guy nobody wanted and have made him at least serviceable and versatile, that speaks volumes that many of you don't want to see or lend credence to.  Then Dan Buenning has been good.  There's a guy you rarely hear from which is a good thing.  Davin is an unknown with promise and Trueblood is big with the potential to be better.  the good thing is they are all young.  Even AD as the elder statesman now is what 26 or 27?  My man isn't near his prime as an offensive lineman, but most if not all of you want to cast him aside because of his draft status and learning curve. 

Patience is a virtue most fans run out of, if they ever acquire it.  We've suffered through mediocrity with our offensive line for years and quite frankly, I feel your pain.  But I also see that they have addressed some of the issues and I'm sure will address them again next year.  It is what it is guys...
Chev, I've knocked AD in the past, but not because I didn't think he deserved a spot on the line.  I just thought he was our future at RG, a spot where he had the potential to be dominant, not just mediocre.  And that would have saved us a premium pick.  I have a lot of respect for the guy for clawing his way out of the scrap heap and making a name for himself the hard way; I just feel he would be better utilized elsewhaere.

bluetick

Practice Squad

#20 : October 11, 2006, 11:41:55 AM

Kyle Young C 6'5 330 Fresno St.
By: Robert Davis
Kyle Young has steadily improved as a Bulldog, to the point that he is now considered the top center in all of college football. He went from a freshman AA, to 2nd team All WAC as a sophomore, and 1st team All WAC as a junior, and now heads most preseason All American units.

As a center, you cannot find a better prospect. Young possesses all the physical qualities you look for, along with all the intangibles. He has excellent size, and the strength to dominate players at the point of attack. He also shows the athleticism and agility to get out and block on the move. Young is as durable as they come, having started 39 straight games for the Bulldogs. With his experience and intelligence, he should be ready to start from Day 1 in the NFL. With his size and talent, he also brings the versatility to play guard at the next level, and has actually worked out at tackle in practice during his college days.

It is definitely nit picking, but the only flaw with Young at center is that he may be a bit tall, and comes out of his stance upright at times.

Kyle Young is a rarity: He’s a legitimate first round center prospect. He has the size and talent to play multiple spots, and is NFL ready. Young may have many trips to Hawaii in his future.

LET'S DRAFT THIS GUY, FORGET MAHAN & WADE IS GETTING OLD

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#21 : October 11, 2006, 11:44:11 AM

Will Smith failed to record a sack in last weeks matchup.  Come to your own conclusions.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#22 : October 11, 2006, 11:50:05 AM

I think many posters see any criticism has bashing, instead of the good honest critiquing it is meant to be. If we want to get better we have to improve the areas of weakness and Davis is not a good LT.

Remember:

FAILURE TO CRITIQUE IS THE ACCEPTANCE OF MEDIOCRITY

That's not true, the guy was undrafted and has played better than any other LT we've since or before Gruber.  He's a third year player and starting to come into his own.  You guys are just hating, IMO, because you want a stud LT there and we've never been in position or had the foresight in the FO to draft one besides Gruber.  Criticism is OK, blatant this guy will never work I won't agree with...but that's JMO...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#23 : October 11, 2006, 11:54:33 AM

Will Smith failed to record a sack in last weeks matchup. Come to your own conclusions.

True.  And the "Fresh Prince" is actually pretty damned good.  Good job by Davis last week.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#24 : October 11, 2006, 11:59:32 AM

Good job by Davis last week.

I'm sure that wasn't easy to give up... ;)

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#25 : October 11, 2006, 12:03:11 PM

I'm sure that wasn't easy to give up... ;)

It sure was.  Gotta give credit where it is due.  It wasn't based on potential, AD actually came out and stiffed a very good Will Smith.  Hopefully, next week he keeps the ball rolling.   :)

nitey

Hall of Famer
#26 : October 11, 2006, 12:25:26 PM

Dal, you really don't need me to go through all the left tackles in the league only to argue which are better and worse than AD do you? It's all opinion anyway, but as been pointed out, AD did keep Will Smith off the stat sheet last week which means that he did do his job pretty well. I don't remember him being called for any penalties, also a good point.

As I said, AD is not the problem with this line, he does his job and he does it well enough with Buenning that Gruden runs his Caddy to that side almost exclusively even though he knows that the defense will stack that side against the run to stop him.

Come on bro, cut the guy a break.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#27 : October 11, 2006, 12:47:10 PM

Dal, you really don't need me to go through all the left tackles in the league only to argue which are better and worse than AD do you? It's all opinion anyway, but as been pointed out, AD did keep Will Smith off the stat sheet last week which means that he did do his job pretty well. I don't remember him being called for any penalties, also a good point.

As I said, AD is not the problem with this line, he does his job and he does it well enough with Buenning that Gruden runs his Caddy to that side almost exclusively even though he knows that the defense will stack that side against the run to stop him.

Come on bro, cut the guy a break.

That's all I'm asking...

It sure was.  Gotta give credit where it is due.  It wasn't based on potential, AD actually came out and stiffed a very good Will Smith.  Hopefully, next week he keeps the ball rolling.  :)

Me too dawg...

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer

#28 : October 11, 2006, 01:31:31 PM

Kyle Young C 6'5 330 Fresno St.
By: Robert Davis
Kyle Young has steadily improved as a Bulldog, to the point that he is now considered the top center in all of college football. He went from a freshman AA, to 2nd team All WAC as a sophomore, and 1st team All WAC as a junior, and now heads most preseason All American units.

As a center, you cannot find a better prospect. Young possesses all the physical qualities you look for, along with all the intangibles. He has excellent size, and the strength to dominate players at the point of attack. He also shows the athleticism and agility to get out and block on the move. Young is as durable as they come, having started 39 straight games for the Bulldogs. With his experience and intelligence, he should be ready to start from Day 1 in the NFL. With his size and talent, he also brings the versatility to play guard at the next level, and has actually worked out at tackle in practice during his college days.

This guy looks like a beast and I wouldn't mind JG and BA looking into drafting him. However, odds of us landing him are slim, IMO. Unless he slides to the 2nd rd or we trade down quite far, I don't see it happening. I'd rather have defense anyways.

On the subject of Davis, I think he's been "good" this year. Not great, not crap, but good. He's getting better, but I also think his skills would be better suited at G. This line is still molding and is gonna take more time to fully come together.

On Buenning, does anyone know if the coaches have considered him at C? I know someone said he played some in college, but I wonder if it's really a viable option. Mahan, and I believe Terry are both FA's after this year so I would think Buenning staying at G would be a definite. I don't think Mahan and Terry are coming back because I don't think Mahan is suited for here and Terry continued to get overlooked.

If Mahan, Terry and Yatta all leave, OL again has to be a major focus in means of adding depth. We need a great offseason. Good thing we'll have a high draft pick and lots of cash.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

nitey

Hall of Famer
#29 : October 11, 2006, 01:54:16 PM

The only thing I don't really like about moving Buenning to center is that he's been our best and most consistant lineman, why mess with success? He already knows his position, is playing it well enough to see a possible Probowl bearth somewhere down the line. Why move him to a new position?

If we need a center, draft or buy a new one. JMO.

With the cap space we have this year, I think we can find and afford good backup players. Terry and Mahan will get fair offers from Bruce to stick around. Yatta's under contract, but I think his leg/knee is not going to get better and his skills are only going to decline.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Do you think we have our future OL?? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools