Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Could Jevon Kearse be Simeon's replacement? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Samari28

Hall of Famer
#15 : December 28, 2006, 10:28:41 PM

I would rather have Marcus Jones than Kearse as at least Jones was healthy.  Kearse is an accident waiting to happen.

miamicanes04

Hall of Famer

#16 : December 28, 2006, 11:30:11 PM

If Buchanon is happy with the bucs then he might advise his cousin to play for the Bucs. I met Jevon a couple months ago... His knee looked pretty bad. We will have to see how it does.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#17 : December 29, 2006, 02:52:26 AM

In fairness the 'pump up circle' is really just a waste of energy.
In fairness, if you are an out of shape slob, forming a corcle and bouncing for a few seconds is not really a waste of anything.

It actually looks rather cool, and I would not want to miss seeing that...

The guys getting geeked, and spouting hellfire and war chants is quite a cool site.  And if you get winded and wasted by doing as such, you must be on social security as a result of old age.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#18 : December 29, 2006, 02:53:17 AM

maybe they were cold and trying to stay in the sunlight...
Amen.  IT was rather chilly that day....not that it is an excuse, but anyone fresh off a plane from FLA would definitely feel it...

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 29, 2006, 09:22:17 AM

Why do people think Rice will be gone?  Let's go back a minute.  Aren't the Bucs 25 mil even without cutting anyone?  So why give away 14 sacks a season just because you can?  who's the replacement?  A guy that has a worst injury than Rice?  Come on people.  While I know some of you have hate crusted in the corner of your eyes for Sim, fact is he's under contract and can still play the game...Makes no sense at all, IMO, for him to get cut...especially when we need some help on the dline...I'd say after BK that was our other most devastating injury...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#20 : December 29, 2006, 10:58:10 AM

kearse is only 2-3 years younger than rice, and never seems to play 16 games a season...he went onto IR this year after week 2... 2000 and this year (so far) are the only 2 seasons in which he notched more sacks than simeon rice. he hasn't out-tackled rice since the 99 and 2000 seasons

i don't see how this guy replacing rice would will upgrade our pass rush or run defense, especially when he's a threat to break down for large parts of the season a la booger.

we can do much better than kearse, he's been living on the rep he built his first 3 years in the league, but hasn't come close to being the same player in the seasons since.

kearse - 66 sacks, 266 tackles in 8 years
rice - 121 sacks, 424 tackles in 11 years

never has been or will be as good as rice, was only comparable for 2 seasons 6 years ago, and they're both on the downside of their careers.

TEAMCALI

Starter

#21 : December 29, 2006, 11:06:03 AM

Why do people think Rice will be gone?  Let's go back a minute.  Aren't the Bucs 25 mil even without cutting anyone?  So why give away 14 sacks a season just because you can?  who's the replacement?  A guy that has a worst injury than Rice?  Come on people.  While I know some of you have hate crusted in the corner of your eyes for Sim, fact is he's under contract and can still play the game...Makes no sense at all, IMO, for him to get cut...especially when we need some help on the dline...I'd say after BK that was our other most devastating injury...

I agree, I don't think we let go off rice... he's not injured very often and can still bring the noise!! I don't want to see him get traded or whatever and put up a 15 sack season somewhere else!

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#22 : December 29, 2006, 11:08:29 AM

rice will never again be the force he was when he got that insane contract, but as a team 25m under the cap with serious pass rush issues, it seems a little crazy to release him when we could sign some help and retain him at worst as a situational player.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 29, 2006, 12:06:59 PM

rice will never again be the force he was when he got that insane contract, but as a team 25m under the cap with serious pass rush issues, it seems a little crazy to release him when we could sign some help and retain him at worst as a situational player.

There are times when I wish you guys could say these things to the players themselves.  So you are saying that Rice is lazy and will not perform to the level he has before because he's done or because he's old or what?  Seems to me, and I might be wrong, next year is a contract year for him.  We might see more than 14 or 15 sacks...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

Rusty

Hall of Famer
#24 : December 29, 2006, 12:25:09 PM

Chev, you know that I am not a big Rice fan from my previous posts. That being said, if he can help the team next year and help us win games on a consistent level, I'm all for it. his lack of consistency and bragging have always been my gripe.

\'Every day above ground is a good day\'

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#25 : December 29, 2006, 01:14:31 PM

Chev, you know that I am not a big Rice fan from my previous posts. That being said, if he can help the team next year and help us win games on a consistent level, I'm all for it. his lack of consistency and bragging have always been my gripe.

Rusty, until this year my man has consistently put up the numbers that no one can really refute.  He was hurt this year and therefore could not perform.  While I don't agree with all of Dalbucs analysis, his depiction of Rice through the run stats says he's doing the job when he was healthy.  He certainly has a loquacious flare that sort of grates on some and I get that.  But his play certainly speaks for itself...

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#26 : December 29, 2006, 02:01:16 PM

I guess some fans here are so blinded by their hate for Rice that they don't notice that he is one of the best DE's of all time. Unless we sign someone like Freeney I don't see us letting go of Rice. Heck if we have the money to do it might as well sign Freeney and move rice to LE and we would have 2 of the best pass rushers in the league on our team.

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#27 : December 29, 2006, 02:03:56 PM

There are times when I wish you guys could say these things to the players themselves.  So you are saying that Rice is lazy and will not perform to the level he has before because he's done or because he's old or what?  Seems to me, and I might be wrong, next year is a contract year for him.  We might see more than 14 or 15 sacks...

no, all i'm saying is that he was arguably one of the 5 biggest defensive difference-makers in the NFL at that time, and most people don't stay in that form for very long....even with rice's 14-sack season 2 years ago, he wasn't doing what made him worth the then-biggest defensive contract in the NFL: regular sack-fumbles and consistently playing great football in the most important games....i think sim himself would be lying if he said yes when asked if he has the same impact on games now as he did 5 years ago.

contract year or no, i just don't think he can physically dominate & frustrate tackles or unsettle QBs over the course of a game like he once did. i'm actually in the camp of keeping him on board, i just think it's too much to expect him to be the player he was in '01 and '02. doesn't mean he's not good or not useful, i think losing him without having a GUARANTEED all-pro in place will be alot like how we projected booger's play would make us forget about sapp  when everyone was screaming that his time was up -  wishful thinking and being spoiled as fans by unreal defensive talent.

unscientific statement, but in '01 and '02 sim probably made more plays in either year (sacks, turnovers or pressure) to change momentum, kill potential comebacks, or set up scores than he has in the 4 years since. since then, most of his sacks have been just sacks, and he's only had a handful of true standout games, mostly against lesser competition or vick.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 29, 2006, 03:27:57 PM

There are times when I wish you guys could say these things to the players themselves. So you are saying that Rice is lazy and will not perform to the level he has before because he's done or because he's old or what? Seems to me, and I might be wrong, next year is a contract year for him. We might see more than 14 or 15 sacks...

no, all i'm saying is that he was arguably one of the 5 biggest defensive difference-makers in the NFL at that time, and most people don't stay in that form for very long....even with rice's 14-sack season 2 years ago, he wasn't doing what made him worth the then-biggest defensive contract in the NFL: regular sack-fumbles and consistently playing great football in the most important games....i think sim himself would be lying if he said yes when asked if he has the same impact on games now as he did 5 years ago.

contract year or no, i just don't think he can physically dominate & frustrate tackles or unsettle QBs over the course of a game like he once did. i'm actually in the camp of keeping him on board, i just think it's too much to expect him to be the player he was in '01 and '02. doesn't mean he's not good or not useful, i think losing him without having a GUARANTEED all-pro in place will be alot like how we projected booger's play would make us forget about sapp when everyone was screaming that his time was up - wishful thinking and being spoiled as fans by unreal defensive talent.

unscientific statement, but in '01 and '02 sim probably made more plays in either year (sacks, turnovers or pressure) to change momentum, kill potential comebacks, or set up scores than he has in the 4 years since. since then, most of his sacks have been just sacks, and he's only had a handful of true standout games, mostly against lesser competition or vick.

That's my whole point.  Athletes prove people wrong all the time with their top flight conditioning. I think we'd all agree that Sim is a workout freak.  In better shape than most and gets better as the season goes on.  If I'm going to make a prediction on a guy like that, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt...but I don't have that hate crust in my eye posing as a cateract either...LOL

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer
#29 : December 29, 2006, 03:30:26 PM

He certainly has a loquacious flare that sort of grates on some and I get that.
Nice.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Could Jevon Kearse be Simeon's replacement? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools