Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Did the Rays Sell Out Their Biggest Series of the Year? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 23

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« : September 16, 2008, 10:34:02 PM »

I'm guessing that all of the Red Sox/Rays games were/are sellouts.

Good for them.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
« #1 : September 16, 2008, 10:55:35 PM »

I sure hope so. 

Funny that when you pull ESPN they aren't even mentioning the game tonight because the Rays won.  Had the Red Sox won, it would have been given it's own page dedicated to celebrating the win.  ESPN homers.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #2 : September 16, 2008, 10:58:43 PM »

I don't know.  Have the Mets choked away another division lead yet?

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #3 : September 16, 2008, 11:00:02 PM »

I don't know.  Have the Mets choked away another division lead yet?

Almost. You won't get me to defend them right now. I tell it like it is and right now, they are CHOKING!!!
No guts.

So, all sellouts? Or close to it?

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #4 : September 16, 2008, 11:03:11 PM »

I don't know. Have the Mets choked away another division lead yet?

Almost. You won't get me to defend them right now. I tell it like it is and right now, they are CHOKING!!!
No guts.

lol, nice fan and you have the balls to question Rays fans.  go figure.

TURBO

Hall of Famer

« #5 : September 16, 2008, 11:05:43 PM »

why yes, they have...

looks like it will come down to my Brewers (who are choking terribly) and the Mets for the wild card...

Philly is on a roll!

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #6 : September 16, 2008, 11:14:10 PM »

I know you want to avoid the embarrassing attendance story and shift the story to me and the Mets. 
So I'll play along a little bit and placate you.

I support my team and watch them every chance I can get on mlb.com.

But I'm not a homer who says, "My team rules! They're great!" when they're not playing worth
crap these past couple of games. They've overcome losing their closer and number two starter
and another starter (Pedro) is all but done. And they've hung in there. But last night and tonight,
they looked lifeless. No excuses.

I'll help you out with the Rays stuff...

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2008/09/16/attendance_figures_to_be_downfall

Attendance figures to be downfall

September 16, 2008 07:47 AM

If not now, then when?

All things considered, the owners of the Tampa Bay Rays couldn’t have dreamt of a better scenario than what they’re watching unfold during the magical 2008 season. For the first time in team history, the Rays are winners, last night’s de**CENSORED**able choke job notwithstanding, and a new aura hovers over the team.

For the first time ever, the Rays are likely headed to the postseason, and few in the Tampa-St. Pete area seem to care. While 29,772 watched the Red Sox demoralize the Rays, 13-5, last night at Tropicana Field, that’s far from a sellout crowd of just over 36,000. Principal owner Stuart Sternberg expressed his disappointment that the team probably wouldn’t be able to draw 20,000 Thursday night against the Minnesota Twins. That game kicks off four-game series that could have wild card implications with Minnesota seven games off the pace.

With just six games remaining on its home schedule, Tampa Bay's 21,533 per game average is better than only Oakland and Kansas City in the American League. Tropicana Field's capacity percentage of 51.1 is worse than Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Seattle, and Washington, cities that were forced to give up on their teams' pennant races sometime between Memorial Day and the All-Star break.

Florida baseball. Apathy at its worst.

Before last night's game, the last time the Rays played at home on a weeknight not against Boston or New York, they drew 14,039 against Toronto on Aug. 28. The previous night, it was 12,678. For a first-place team.

The Rays are holding a lottery on their web site for the "opportunity" to purchase postseason tickets. The best opportunity will probably be to walk up day of a playoff game and have your pick of seats.

Cinderella story or not, there comes a point when you have to decide that something just doesn't jive in the community. And the Rays certainly are not the right fit for a Tampa area more fixated on football, fishing, and NASCAR. In few cities is the NHL a bigger draw than major league baseball, but that is precisely the case in a city where winter frost is only a sporadic sight. The last-place Tampa Bay Lightning drew an average of 18,693 last season, a 95.9 percent capacity.

St. Pete Times columnist John Romano wrote last month:

Call it sobering. Call it disappointing. Soon, you may be calling it disturbing or threatening.
Because if you assume the attendance figures have been lost in the excitement of the division standings, you are naive. The commissioner's office has taken notice, and owner Stuart Sternberg has surely been paying attention.

And what they see is a community running out of excuses. It's no longer about poor ownership, because Sternberg's crew has done everything possible to reach out to the fans. And it's no longer about losing because the Rays have been among baseball's best teams for four months.

So if it's not about the team or the owner, then it is an indictment of the market or the stadium location.

At this point, that has to be the conclusion, doesn't it? Residents no longer have the excuse of having to endure a perennial last-place team, with the Rays chock full of young talent that has exploded onto the scene this season. And, as Romano points out, this ownership has already tried giving free parking, allowing fans to bring their own food to the park, and did not raise ticket prices this season, one of only two teams not to do so.

But they still stay away. Yes, the awful ballpark is one reason, yet in 1994, the Montreal Expos drew 1.276 million in a strike-shortened season at the incomparably terrible Stade Olympique. The Twins average 27,597 at a Metrodome that won't exactly ever make any list of the game's crown jewels.

The Rays still face an uphill battle in their quest for a new ballpark, fighting public pressure that denotes that new parks will only bring an average of 2.2 more wins. But in Tampa Bay's case, this is really less about financial viability for the short-term, and more about its quest to be seen as a sporting institution in the area, something the Rays can't be considered in their sad little dome.

But the question still lingers, is a new ballpark even worth it? Would this team be better off someplace else, even if the cities mentioned once again are old standbys Vegas and Portland? If they're not coming out for this team, at these prices, then who exactly would they come out for?

In recent Octobers, it has been Atlanta that has been the scorn of baseball fans everywhere, many of whom can't understand how the team didn't sell out playoff games, even after years of NL East titles under their belts. Still, in 1991, the year the Braves went from worst to first, Atlanta drew 2.14 million fans, a number that increased as the season wore on. In 2008, in Tampa Bay, that hasn't been the case.

While the rest of America revels in the great story that is the Rays' surge to relevance, Tampa-St. Pete yawns.

On the bright side, you can't call them bandwagon fans. Just don't consider them fans at all.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #7 : September 16, 2008, 11:14:43 PM »

why yes, they have...

looks like it will come down to my Brewers (who are choking terribly) and the Mets for the wild card...

Philly is on a roll!

Mets/Brewers one game playoff to decide who gets in? My heart can't take that.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #8 : September 16, 2008, 11:19:34 PM »

I know you'd rather worry about the Rays than face the fact that your big money team is about to choke away not only the division, but the playoffs all together.  Injuries.  Rays played a month without their two best players and their closer.  Lost Upton last week, but still have managed to not only maintain their lead in the AL East, but also move to within a few games of clinching a playoff spot.

The attendance is nothing suurprising.  Still waiting for you to address the Yankees of the mid 90's and their HALF empty stadium despite their run to another World Series ring or why it took 3 years for the Brewers to see a significant attendance jump.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #9 : September 16, 2008, 11:29:35 PM »

TIt's funny how you keep posting articles that are wrong.  The Rays maxiumum capacity is 36,000+.  If average attendance is 21,533 then that's near 60% not the 51% in your article.  I also listened to the Sternberg interview live last night.  he didn't express any disappointment.  He said he hoped that a strong walk up would push the attendance over the 20,000 mark for the weekend.  He also said that next year will be the real test once the area has a taste for the winning and realizes the ownership is for real.  Also pointed out the low season ticket numbers and how high the walk up numbers are.  Also pointed out the need for corporate surport for the team.  The only disappointment he expressed was the fact that the new stadium had to be pulled from the drawing board, but he said he was happy with the coalition formed to revisit the issue.  Also expressed desire to bring Hillsborough nad Pinellas counties together to support the team.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #10 : September 16, 2008, 11:32:49 PM »

I sure hope so. 

Funny that when you pull ESPN they aren't even mentioning the game tonight because the Rays won.  Had the Red Sox won, it would have been given it's own page dedicated to celebrating the win.  ESPN homers.

That's pretty bad for ESPN to do that.  The Rays' turnaround is the best story in baseball.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #11 : September 17, 2008, 12:44:08 AM »

The Rays' turnaround is the best story in baseball.

That it is.

Unfortunately they can't sell out the biggest series in the history of their franchise. This
late in the season and against the RS? With first place on the line?

Looks like Tampa won't have a team much longer.

Oh wait. I forgot. It's a weeknight. Can't expect fans to come sell out the place on a weeknight.

I hope the playoff games are on the weekend! LOL.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

« #12 : September 17, 2008, 01:17:47 AM »

Like I said many times before.....this is a football town. The Bucs have sold out a 70,000 seat stadium every game for the past decade. A new stadium for the Rays would go a long way....along with a better central location.

Plus now the USF Bulls are doing well so that's taking attention away from the Rays.

The Lightning is starting their pre-season next week I think. So that's going to pull even more fans away. I doubt the Rays even sell out their playoff games.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

« #13 : September 17, 2008, 01:46:38 AM »

There are lots of excuses (many of them valid) for the Rays' attendance woes.

But not selling out this RS series is inexcusable. Basically, those are the closest thing you can
get to a playoff game atmosphere without actually being a playoff game.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #14 : September 20, 2008, 10:58:46 AM »

Amazing.

Olaf is going to the game.

Where the hell are the rest of you Rays fans going to be?

Just pulled up two in section 127 on TM.

This could be the clinching game. Sell it out now, for godsakes.

You must have one pathetic life to be this concerned over such a mundane thing.? No good bogfoot or alien siting s lately or something?
It's a valid point, if the Royals were in the position the Rays were in you couldn't get a ticket for anything in the last month and if you did you would be paying way over face value.

Yeah, that's easy to say when you're buried in last place.? What's the Royals' current season ticket base?? How many years have they been around to build their fan base?

We'll see the next time the Royals are in a playoff race.? Let's say 2020.
Ohhh such arrogance for a 1st year baseball fan. Watch out... the Rays haven't won ANYTHING yet.

lol, nice canned comeback. nothing arrogant about my statement. you popped off about something you know nothing about ... again.
Shoot the Royals fanbase was much stronger at 10 years than the Rays fan base.

link
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 23
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Did the Rays Sell Out Their Biggest Series of the Year? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools