Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2004 Draft Review: Shawn Andrews « previous next »
Page: 1

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

: December 28, 2006, 09:52:06 AM

It just caught my attention that a lot of people on here (I was not one of them) were really high on Arkansas tackle Shawn Andrews leading up to the 2004 draft. The Eagles traded up to select him immediately behind the Bucs selecting Michael Clayton. Andrews made the Pro Bowl this season as a right guard. Take your bows, guys.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

T

Hall of Famer

#1 : December 28, 2006, 10:09:47 AM

I remember that Draft I was hoping for Andrews, or Stephen Jackson. I hate the Eagles, but I love the way they build their team by drafting talented Offensive and defensive lineman.

bklynbucs11

Starter

#2 : December 28, 2006, 10:13:02 AM

Hey. Hey, you know what's funny.

Let's do a 2001 Draft Review:

Did you know that Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round? SO that would mean that all but 1 team (the Colts don't really need a QB) should be considered a pack of morons for passing on this guy not one, but 5 times. Well, St. Louis also gets a pass because they selected Mark Bulger in the 6th round like 10 picks ahead of Brady.

Hey, while we're at it lets knock the Green Bay Packers too. After all, they selected Tony Mandarich in front of Barry and Deion Sanders.

With all the historical evidence of just how much of a crapshoot the NFL draft is, how people can still be ignorant enough to say "Oh look, we should have drafted X guy" is beyond me. And aside from the obvious, you completely ignore the fact that we draft Clayton, who went on to post the 4th higher yards and 2nd highest receptions total in rookie receiver history. And by the way, so we're clear abotu "your boy" Shaun Andrews, do you know where he spent most of 2004? I'll tell you - it was on IR. THe reason - his knees gave out because of his excessive weight. The guy was 370 coming out of college and dangerously close to 400 and had a career-long problem with obesity which caused his stock to plummet. The only reason this guy panned out hte way he did is actually a very unfortunate incident. His uncle who was very over-weight died young from heart problem in 2005 and it struck this kid bad. He started dropping weight insanely and now plays at 335. If not for an unfortunate death, Andrews probably takes the path that Toniu Fonoti did.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 28, 2006, 10:18:17 AM

Drafting a guard in the first round is not a bad idea just as long as you do not overpay another position.  The Eagles follow a strict cap management philosophy. They are willing to invest first and second rounders along the o-line and D-line but when it comes to dishing out money or high draft picks at LB for example they are reluctant too.  Basically each team has to decide where the priorities are at based on the scheme.

I personally would love to see the Bucs draft heavy along the D-line this year with some o-lineman sprinkled in.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 28, 2006, 11:08:20 AM

I remember that Draft I was hoping for Andrews, or Stephen Jackson. I hate the Eagles, but I love the way they build their team by drafting talented Offensive and defensive lineman.

I thought Stephen Jackson was a no-brainer.  I still think Stephen Jackson was a no-brainer.  I was astounded when we passed over him.  He was a perfect fit for the team and filled a huge need.

Badabingnrt

Starter

#5 : December 28, 2006, 03:58:33 PM

i agree brandentonian....but I love my boy Cadillac...

Clayton seemed like he proved us wrong his first year...but now theres question.

I guess if we would have selected Steven Jackson...we could have went with Pac Man.

Mike Williams, Troy Williamson have all dissapointed in my opinion.

Even though Caddy was the 3rd back taken, Id still take him over Brown and Benson. 

Shag

Pro Bowler

#6 : December 28, 2006, 04:13:41 PM

I thought Stephen Jackson was a no-brainer.  I still think Stephen Jackson was a no-brainer.  I was astounded when we passed over him.  He was a perfect fit for the team and filled a huge need.

I thought that too, even though I was mad the Bears selected Tommie Harris. The same thing happened last year, the team before us takes the player I wanted.

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#7 : December 28, 2006, 05:35:56 PM

Anybody could have a field day talking about the players they really wanted. I wanted Andrews too, as well as Stephen Jackson, Mike Williams, Winston Justice, Daryl Tapp (who could've been had in the 2nd last year), blah blah blah. Hindsight is 20-20 though. I try not to think too much about past drafts anymore unless it pertains to the Bucs. It's pretty pointless. Mainly just S***'s and giggles talk.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

zellmiller

Hall of Famer

#8 : December 28, 2006, 10:10:31 PM

Hey. Hey, you know what's funny.

Let's do a 2001 Draft Review:

Did you know that Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round? SO that would mean that all but 1 team (the Colts don't really need a QB) should be considered a pack of morons for passing on this guy not one, but 5 times. Well, St. Louis also gets a pass because they selected Mark Bulger in the 6th round like 10 picks ahead of Brady.

Hey, while we're at it lets knock the Green Bay Packers too. After all, they selected Tony Mandarich in front of Barry and Deion Sanders.

With all the historical evidence of just how much of a crapshoot the NFL draft is, how people can still be ignorant enough to say "Oh look, we should have drafted X guy" is beyond me. And aside from the obvious, you completely ignore the fact that we draft Clayton, who went on to post the 4th higher yards and 2nd highest receptions total in rookie receiver history. And by the way, so we're clear abotu "your boy" Shaun Andrews, do you know where he spent most of 2004? I'll tell you - it was on IR. THe reason - his knees gave out because of his excessive weight. The guy was 370 coming out of college and dangerously close to 400 and had a career-long problem with obesity which caused his stock to plummet. The only reason this guy panned out hte way he did is actually a very unfortunate incident. His uncle who was very over-weight died young from heart problem in 2005 and it struck this kid bad. He started dropping weight insanely and now plays at 335. If not for an unfortunate death, Andrews probably takes the path that Toniu Fonoti did.

Don't worry none of the pea brains get it anyway

Huge ego, not a gruden guy,  doesn't use MIKE.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2004 Draft Review: Shawn Andrews « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools