Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: So what's up with Arron Sears? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#15 : September 18, 2008, 01:13:30 PM

Muir needs to pull his head out as well.

Part of a coach's job is to keep his troops focused.  And Arron is playing like poo-doo.  Not acceptable.  I am pulling for Arron big time.  I think he is awesome, but something isnot clicking.

Gotta blame Muir.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#16 : September 18, 2008, 01:17:49 PM

Didn't Sears lose a lot of weight in the off season? Maybe that extra girth he had last year, even if some of it was flab, helped him hold his ground and not get pushed around.

From what I've noticed it's lack of focus, he's not getting pushed around...or at least I don't see that

Agree. Sears is getting beat off the ball, not pushed around.

And I also agree Davin is the best player on the Bucs O-line. Can't wait to get him back.

*Puts milk crate down and stands on it*

Enough!

Davin Joseph isn't the glue that is missing with this o-line nor is he the best offensive lineman on the team.  Penn is the one who has been the best offensive lineman on the team and has been the glue at LT.  Without him the rest of the o-line would be exposed.

/rant off.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#17 : September 18, 2008, 01:20:13 PM

Didn't Sears lose a lot of weight in the off season? Maybe that extra girth he had last year, even if some of it was flab, helped him hold his ground and not get pushed around.

From what I've noticed it's lack of focus, he's not getting pushed around...or at least I don't see that

Agree. Sears is getting beat off the ball, not pushed around.

And I also agree Davin is the best player on the Bucs O-line. Can't wait to get him back.

Enough!

Davin Joseph isn't the glue that is missing with this o-line nor is he the best offensive lineman on the team.  Penn is the one who has been the best offensive lineman on the team and has been the glue at LT.  Without him the rest of the o-line would be exposed.

/rant off.

* Kicks milk crate out from under ADW *

Yes he is.

TheRealist

Second String

#18 : September 18, 2008, 01:20:32 PM

hopefully until Sears gets his things straight, we keep running the ball outside the tackle, seems like thats where the big runs are comming from

DeadmenTNT

Starter
#19 : September 18, 2008, 01:24:49 PM

Same sort of stuff happened last year and he got the rookie pass from everybody, IMO. In some cases, Joseph got blamed for Sears' misses. I don't know if he's regressed, but so far he does not seem to have fixed the stuff he had problems with last year. He was shaky at times last year in one-on-one pass pro. Also could be a learning curve going on with Faine as well.

Doctor StrangeJosh or How I Stopped Caring About Completion Pct and Learned to Love the Bomb - J C DeLatorre

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#20 : September 18, 2008, 01:26:37 PM

Enough!

Davin Joseph isn't the glue that is missing with this o-line nor is he the best offensive lineman on the team. Penn is the one who has been the best offensive lineman on the team and has been the glue at LT. Without him the rest of the o-line would be exposed.

/rant off.

*grabs crotch, spits, yells a few obscenities. scratches balls, guzzles a beer, punches an old woman, shats on the floor*

wait, what were we talking about again?

/rant

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#21 : September 18, 2008, 01:27:13 PM

All of the linemen have flaws. I'm not sure I'd say any are glue.

Penn - struggled with good pass rushers last season, no one runs behind him
Sears - great movement but not so great one-on-one
Faine - haven't seen him enough with the Bucs to evaluate him but his rep in New Orleans was he struggled with big, strong DTs
Joseph - great run blocker, not so good pass blocker, but to his benefit not a lot of nose tackles are good pass rushers
Trueblood - another great run blocker, poor pass blocker with both speed rushers and bull rushers

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

#22 : September 18, 2008, 01:45:11 PM

When coaches around the league were asked what young players were likely to hit the pro-bowl soon, they named Sears, not Davin (can't find the link, think it was SI).  Sears was probably our best OL last year.  Davin's really struggled in pass pro, a lot of people were blaming that on Wade.  When he gets back we'll see. 

Sears is struggling with the penalties, but the line took a hit with Z coming in for Davin, and Faine is only 2 games into the system, and still needs time to gel. 

And even though they're not playing up to what we think their potential is, they're still playing pretty darn well...

1sparkybuc

Hall of Famer
#23 : September 18, 2008, 02:00:11 PM

The OL has done well enough to be 2-0, and would be except for Garcia's vertical fornication in New Orleans. Graham and Dunn lead the league in YPC and Griese can't complain about the protection he had. The OL in 2002 took a while to gel and they didn't the youth and comparative inexperience we have now. Sears played very well as a rookie. I'm confident he will get better as the season goes on. Chicago will be a good test for our offense. They have to eliminate the stupid penalties. Moving the chains is going to be tough enough.

Zuttah has played well for the most part. I'm curious to see what his role will be when Joseph returns.
When coaches around the league were asked what young players were likely to hit the pro-bowl soon, they named Sears, not Davin (can't find the link, think it was SI).  Sears was probably our best OL last year.  Davin's really struggled in pass pro, a lot of people were blaming that on Wade.  When he gets back we'll see. 

Sears is struggling with the penalties, but the line took a hit with Z coming in for Davin, and Faine is only 2 games into the system, and still needs time to gel. 

And even though they're not playing up to what we think their potential is, they're still playing pretty darn well...

.........and what he said.

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#24 : September 18, 2008, 04:30:04 PM

...All the $ and draft picks, lets literally lay it on the line.
The Bucs are one of the teams with most cap space...so all the $$$ might not translate well enough at Soldier Field, where they have put $$$ into their defense. ;)

Sears needs to just go out and manhandle someone.  Zuttah needs to put all the combine numbers to use...he had the second most bench reps, and was the fastest OL there.  Faine is the highest paid center in the entire NFL, so time to put up or shut up in his boat.  Penn is solid.  Not spectacular, but a solid LT.  Blood is nasty, but he needs to go penalty free, and start putting dudes into the turf while keeping flags off it.

The OL has been playing well.  They could be playing better, and when and if that happens, Griese, JOhnson, Shaun King, it won't matter who plays QB back there...the run game will pulverize teams into submission.  And that is one thing I am sure of with this offense.

I would just love to see the Bucs run it 35-40 times this Sunday.  I know they would have a field day in the second half when the defense has been beaten the hell up.

enterprise

Rookie
#25 : September 18, 2008, 04:20:39 PM

Chev and a few other have touched on it...Sears slow start might very well be attributed to poor coaching (Muir) and play-calling.  He is a strength and agility-type guard who can move around at the second level.  Just like QBs, the OL is very much about timing and getting into a groove.  More runs on 1st down and a little bit of a power game is what all of these guys need.  Attacking the Bears, going right at them and neutralizing the speed/read of Urlacher and Briggs via an early power game might do wonders for the pace of the game and the OL's confidence.  In other words, why don't we come out and put the game on them...All the $ and draft picks, lets literally lay it on the line.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#26 : September 18, 2008, 04:52:52 PM

Sears needs to just go out and manhandle someone. 
Probably not going to happen this weekend.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#27 : September 18, 2008, 05:22:41 PM

I think everyone's being a bit too critical of Arron. I've watched both games, and while I admit he hasn't played as well as last year he also hasn't played as bad some people are making out. What I don't understand is that some here expect perfection out of the OL on every play, when it's never gonna happen. Not because they don't have the talent, but more because it's pretty darn difficult to keep your opposite man completely quiet for a whole 60 minutes. So, when you inevitably make that one mistake, people magnify it totally out of proportion.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#28 : September 18, 2008, 05:27:19 PM

I think everyone's being a bit too critical of Arron. I've watched both games, and while I admit he hasn't played as well as last year he also hasn't played as bad some people are making out. What I don't understand is that some here expect perfection out of the OL on every play, when it's never gonna happen. Not because they don't have the talent, but more because it's pretty darn difficult to keep your opposite man completely quiet for a whole 60 minutes. So, when you inevitably make that one mistake, people magnify it totally out of proportion.

When it's so glaring on that ole block you can't help but be a little concerned.  I think these guys have warranted the harsh criticism.  Don't think it's all bad.  I think we all see more in them and want them to live up to their potential and surpass their current level...

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#29 : September 19, 2008, 05:40:32 AM

Point taken. But even so, in both games, the there were more than enough plays in which the OL formed a decent enough pocket for the QB to throw. Sure, the rushers got through a few times but overall I think the line has played quite well. I expect more though, particularly from Sears who hasn't been playing with quite the same authority as last year.

When it's so glaring on that ole block you can't help but be a little concerned. I think these guys have warranted the harsh criticism. Don't think it's all bad. I think we all see more in them and want them to live up to their potential and surpass their current level...

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: So what's up with Arron Sears? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools