Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: New rules in college football for 2008 « previous next »
Page: 1

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

: August 24, 2008, 09:50:20 PM

Changes in the rules for NCAA football include:
-Coaches who challenge a reviewable call on the field will retain their challenge if the call is overturned.
-There no longer will be a 5-yard incidental face mask penalty. Pulling, twisting or turning an opponent's face mask will result in a 15-yard penalty.
-Officials now will call penalties rather than give a "sideline warning." If team personnel enter the restricted area between the sideline and coaching box, there will be an immediate 5-yard penalty or a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct.
-The language on the chop block was simplified, allowing more of those blocks to be called. Officials will call a penalty for any high-low combination block by two players anytime during a play, anywhere on the field regardless of a delay between the two blocks.
-The "horse-collar tackle" has been banned. Officials will call a penalty when a defender grabs a ball carrier by the jersey or shoulder pads at the back or the side and immediately pulls the runner down.
-A penalty will be called if a player strikes an opponent with the crown of the helmet or targets an opponent above the shoulders.
-"The Bill Belichick Rule" extends to college football. Rules prohibit any attempts to film or tape signals given by opponents.
-The play clock will start when the previous play is called dead. This replaces the officials' ready-for-play signal to start a 25-second clock.

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#1 : August 24, 2008, 11:24:05 PM

I don't see the reason for a horse-collar rule, Roy Williams graduated years ago. :D

I don't like them taking away the sideline warning. Seems simple enough to give ONE warning on something that has little bearing on the play itself.

I kinda liked the ready-for-play signal, made for more time on late comebacks. But they are trying to lessen the time on the games, so I get it.

gatorgirl!

Starter

#2 : August 25, 2008, 07:57:49 PM

I think the sideline warning rule is a little ridiculous. One warning seems undetrimental to the play of the game...oh well.

Same goes for the playclock...I don't understand this constant shortening of the game. I never want the 4th quarter to end!!

I also don't like that a Coach gets to keep his challenge if the call is overturned. You're supposed to use them wisely. Now it seems like we'll have extra challenges, which IMO is gonna lengthen a game moreso than the playclock.

LFO

Hall of Famer

#3 : August 25, 2008, 09:48:27 PM

I like the challenge rule.  You should not be penalized for getting a call right.  Reality is, the college coaches challenge is pretty worthless anyway.  EVERY play is reviewed up top so for a coach to challenge, he is asking a guy to review a play he already reviewed and deemed correct.  Chances are he isn't going to overturn what he already saw.

I also like the clock rule.  The college game is too slow in between snaps.  This is a GREAT way to speed up the games but should actually increase the # of plays as teams will have less time in between snaps.  Unlike the rule of 2 years ago which took 10 plays or so a game away. 

The sideline change is dumb.  Sometimes excitement can get the better of you, especially in a big game.  A team should get one warning. 

LFO

Hall of Famer

#4 : September 22, 2008, 08:17:28 PM

I have changed my mind.  The new clock rules are HORRIBLE.  They are even worse than the ones 2 years ago.  We are losing about 20 plays a game.  Teams are down from about 10-12 drives a game to 8. 

The starting the clock on out of bounds plays is stupid.  Might as well throw out the record books now....

oregonbucfan

Hall of Famer

#5 : September 22, 2008, 08:44:08 PM

I have changed my mind.  The new clock rules are HORRIBLE.  They are even worse than the ones 2 years ago.  We are losing about 20 plays a game.  Teams are down from about 10-12 drives a game to 8. 

The starting the clock on out of bounds plays is stupid.  Might as well throw out the record books now....

I agree. Worst rule

Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: New rules in college football for 2008 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools