Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: our need for « previous next »
Page: 1 2

#15 : December 29, 2006, 08:55:21 AM

a WR wouldnt be so significant if we actually threw the ball to our talented young TE in ALex smith. does anyone agree with me on this

Yeah...All of our offensive weapons are underused at this point.  Alex Smith will be a great TE once we have a consistent QB, though.

We still need another WR who can stretch the field.

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#16 : December 29, 2006, 08:56:26 AM

The way it looks now, Stovall is your Clayton (possession guy) and we don't have a plan "B" for Joey....

And yes, we need to get the ball to Alex Smith more often and get becht the hell out of the game.

Baghead #2

bucpimpin

Pro Bowler
#17 : December 29, 2006, 09:00:15 AM

I like Alex Smith, however it looks like he runs in quick sand.

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 29, 2006, 09:16:00 AM

#81 Alex Smith
Receiving
Year    Team   G   GS   Rec   Yds   Avg   Lg   TD   20+   40+   1st
2005   Tampa 16   10   41   367   9.0   24   2   3   0     22
2006   Tampa 14   7   35    250    7.1    27    3    3    0      12
TOTAL          30      17     76        617     8.1     27        5        6        0          34

Those numbers aren't stellar, but he's made an immediate impact on this team. He will only continue to get better as he gets more playing time.

Stovall is going to be a big part of this team the '07 season. He's got the size and the hands. Sure, we could use a new WR, but let's see what Clayton can do this year before we waste a pic on his replacement. If he flails (again), time to search for his replacement. At that time, I think it should be a vet to help our young WR corps.

With the O-Line still not performing up to snuff, it makes the rest of the playmakers look lackluster. Once we solidify the line more, the weapons on offense will start to light things up.

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.

#19 : December 29, 2006, 09:28:13 AM

#81 Alex Smith
Receiving
Year    Team   G   GS   Rec   Yds   Avg   Lg   TD   20+   40+   1st
2005   Tampa 16   10   41   367   9.0   24   2   3   0     22
2006   Tampa 14   7   35    250    7.1    27    3    3    0      12
TOTAL          30      17     76        617     8.1     27        5        6        0          34

Those numbers aren't stellar, but he's made an immediate impact on this team. He will only continue to get better as he gets more playing time.

Stovall is going to be a big part of this team the '07 season. He's got the size and the hands. Sure, we could use a new WR, but let's see what Clayton can do this year before we waste a pic on his replacement. If he flails (again), time to search for his replacement. At that time, I think it should be a vet to help our young WR corps.

With the O-Line still not performing up to snuff, it makes the rest of the playmakers look lackluster. Once we solidify the line more, the weapons on offense will start to light things up.

About Alex Smith, I agree.  He's #2 on our entire team in TDs this year.  His numbers would be much improved if we didn't completely suck across the board on offense.

As for Clayton...I agree, except I think we still need to start looking for that down-the-field guy, which Clayton isn't anyway.  We need to look for a replacement for Joey G.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#20 : December 29, 2006, 10:24:49 AM

How about signing a proven receiver like Drew Bennett instead of drafting anyone?

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

Buc Wylde

Hall of Famer

#21 : December 29, 2006, 10:29:13 AM

Couldn't agree more Pat
Having a veteran receiver come in will help the younger guys. Joey G has 1 "maybe" 2 more left in him for Tampa and I'm not a fan of Ike. Drop Ike and let Stovall, Warren and Clayton battle it out next year. Bring in a vet for the '08 season and I think we'll all see that our receiving corps aren't as large a hole as imagined.

Quote from: Raheem Morris
We got to get better at doing something, and that is what we have to set our focus on and that is something to get better at. That\\\\\\\'s what we are trying to do right now.

Shag

Pro Bowler

#22 : December 29, 2006, 10:29:33 AM

How about signing a proven receiver like Drew Bennett instead of drafting anyone?

Sounds good. I would rather draft other positions.

#23 : December 29, 2006, 10:46:55 AM

I wouldn't be against getting a speedster in FA if one is available, but I think we already have a couple of Drew Bennett-type possession receivers here: Clayton and Stovall.

A vet with good speed would be great.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 29, 2006, 10:53:23 AM

How is Stovall a replacement for Joey? No way.

We're going to have to draft another top OLman in order for our TEs to be able to
actually catch instead of block all the time.  It's not a juicy draft pick (such as a
CJ would be) but it has to be done. Unless we can do it in FA.

Will there be speedsters similar to Joey available in the later rounds? Joey was
taken as the 8th overall selection so I doubt it.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#25 : December 29, 2006, 10:53:52 AM

Smith would look at lot better if he was not buried on the depth chart behind Becht.

Stovall will probably end up playing split end and Warren will eventually fill the role as the #3 WR.  Drew Bennet would be a nice addition though.  

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#26 : December 29, 2006, 10:55:52 AM

Pass blocking has not been an issue this year.  It is improved compared to last year.

#27 : December 29, 2006, 11:03:28 AM

I hope you're not directing that at me, because that's not what I was saying.  Even though I believe that Stovall is set to take Joey's position, he doesn't give the offense that dimension that Galloway does.  Neither does Bennett.  That's why we need to look elsewhere, IMO.

We're going to have to draft another top OLman in order for our TEs to be able to
actually catch instead of block all the time.  It's not a juicy draft pick (such as a

Will there be speedsters similar to Joey available in the later rounds? Joey was

Well, you never know how a player is going to pan out, but certainly those first-rounders have a higher success rate.  We do need improvement on the O-line, buyt I think we have most of the pieces already in-house.  We need an LT and a decent C.  And some healthy players...

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 29, 2006, 11:24:34 AM

actually catch instead of block all the time. It's not a juicy draft pick (such as a

Stovall is being groomed and was drafted to replace Joey in the lineup.  He doesn't have Joey's speed, but remember that Joey is not the ideal player in Gruden's GCO.  Gruden had to draw up all these new plays for Joey because his offense wasn't designed for that kind of player.  Sure we might get a speed guy for a #3/4 WR option (Shep is an example), but the #1WR doesn't have to be a burner for Gruden's offense to work.

Mohawkbucs

Starter

#29 : December 29, 2006, 12:16:32 PM

Stovall and Alex Smith are the future receivers on this team, both have good upside imo, we just need a steve smith type player fo the long ball if Simms is going to be QB

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: our need for « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools