Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Griese - Playcalling - OL - D in the Bears game « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#30 : September 22, 2008, 12:56:27 PM

We had no chance running the football with the type of defense the Bears were running...and it stands to reason. The Bucs didn't have Joey Galloway, so there was no one to stretch the defense. They believed if they shut down the run, they shutdown the Bucs offense...and for awhile, they were right.

I don't think you can blame the o-line for the lack of running in this one...I mean, with that many guys in the box - no one is going to run.

Now, I will offer some major kudos to the pass pro. 67 attempts, no sacks, and honestly, not all that much pressure - from a Bears defense with THAT MANY exotic blitzes and schemes? I found that VERY impressive.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#31 : September 22, 2008, 01:09:39 PM

"The tying touchdown came on a beautifully designed play. The Bucs broke the huddle in a power-I, strange since there were 10 seconds left and they were out of timeouts on the Chicago 1. As Gruden often does, players shifted presnap and Jerramy Stevens split out wide left. Off the line, it looked like a fade, as there wasn't a single other player on that side of the formation and you figure Gruden's going to have Griese lob it up to the 6-foot-7 guy. Instead, Stevens makes a hard cut to the inside and Griese hits him, wide-open, for the tying touchdown."

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#32 : September 22, 2008, 01:10:42 PM

Pssshh what are you talking about we ran that amazing fake bubble screen, FB screen to Askew that got about three yards.

while i think askew is a tremendous player, i think a screen to dunn would work better.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#33 : September 22, 2008, 01:12:44 PM

"The tying touchdown came on a beautifully designed play. The Bucs broke the huddle in a power-I, strange since there were 10 seconds left and they were out of timeouts on the Chicago 1. As Gruden often does, players shifted presnap and Jerramy Stevens split out wide left. Off the line, it looked like a fade, as there wasn't a single other player on that side of the formation and you figure Gruden's going to have Griese lob it up to the 6-foot-7 guy. Instead, Stevens makes a hard cut to the inside and Griese hits him, wide-open, for the tying touchdown."

what other routes do you throw at the goalline?  fades and slants.  or was the beautiful design the part that got the 6-7 guy on a LB rather than a smaller, faster CB?

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#34 : September 22, 2008, 01:43:10 PM

Here are the shocking numbers Gruden doesn't want you to see, and that ADW has embargoed until after game 4.

Since 1995 (OC, Philly), Gruden has thrown the ball 54% of the time, and run it 46%.

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer

#35 : September 22, 2008, 01:48:54 PM

Oh yeah, guess what the ratio of the NFL is for 2008 as a whole is:

53% passing, 47% running.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#36 : September 22, 2008, 01:54:56 PM

This playcalling thing is getting out of hand...

We ran the ball 17 times for 47 yds. at 2.8 yds. per clip...

It wasn't happening on the ground...on the other hand, our offense moved down the field by getting 400+ yds in the air...

Most importantly, we won 27-24 vs. a good Chicago Bears team @ Soldier Field...

Some of you guys act like you'd rather have the loss with 30 rushing attempts...

Madman

Hall of Famer
#37 : September 22, 2008, 02:14:05 PM

That was a well designed play to isolate Stevens on a LB.

I noticed Hilliard and Clayton slapping Gruden on the back for that play call. 

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#38 : September 22, 2008, 02:16:28 PM

That was a well designed play to isolate Stevens on a LB.

I noticed Hilliard and Clayton slapping Gruden on the back for that play call.

Yeah, beautiful playcall...when he went wide I was thinking, "I hope this works again...we'll see if Chicago has done their scouting"...I think it was a total read on Stevens' part whether to go fade or slant...what a great matchup we got out there...

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#39 : September 22, 2008, 02:17:02 PM

what other routes do you throw at the goalline?  fades and slants.  or was the beautiful design the part that got the 6-7 guy on a LB rather than a smaller, faster CB?

Ask Football Outsiders about it, they wrote the article praising the well-designed play.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#40 : September 22, 2008, 02:31:35 PM

i read the FO, but they didnt mention what was so "beautiful" about it.  besides the fact it worked.

if we had simply split stevens wide against the 5-10 vasher, would it still have been a "beautiful" play?

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#41 : September 22, 2008, 02:32:59 PM

what other routes do you throw at the goalline? fades and slants. or was the beautiful design the part that got the 6-7 guy on a LB rather than a smaller, faster CB?

The matchup we got was definitely a factor in making that play "beautiful"...

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#42 : September 22, 2008, 02:49:53 PM

This playcalling thing is getting out of hand...

We ran the ball 17 times for 47 yds. at 2.8 yds. per clip...

It wasn't happening on the ground...on the other hand, our offense moved down the field by getting 400+ yds in the air...

Most importantly, we won 27-24 vs. a good Chicago Bears team @ Soldier Field...

Some of you guys act like you'd rather have the loss with 30 rushing attempts...

Unfortunately you are right.

I have never known a game to be decided by a league  REQUIREMENT ratio of X% run and Y% pass. Nor does that ratio hold up in every game. Its ridiculous!

You win by beating their defense with whatever it takes to do so. Screw the percentages!

Its getting very boring reading these constant comments about run run run, no matter what.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#43 : September 22, 2008, 03:41:25 PM

i read the FO, but they didnt mention what was so "beautiful" about it.  besides the fact it worked.

Then you need to re-read the article. I can't see how you missed the point, unless you overlooked it intentionally.

FartMan

Pro Bowler
#44 : September 22, 2008, 04:00:51 PM

If I had to "nit pik" a win, I would say Gruden could have done a better job in running in formations that look more like passing plays.  If they are stacking the box, it might have something to do with the fact that we run primarily in a two tight end set.  A few draws out of the shot gun might help with the looks we see when we run. 
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Griese - Playcalling - OL - D in the Bears game « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools