Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gaines Adams on TV Today « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#30 : December 29, 2006, 03:38:35 PM

Gaines is known for being a good run defender.  He can play LDE or RDE with no problem.

watson

Hall of Famer
#31 : December 29, 2006, 03:44:36 PM

The commentators just said he is getting held, kicked, grabbed and is getting frustrated.  Not sure why, but he was not on the field on Kentucky's last 3rd down play.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#32 : December 29, 2006, 03:47:01 PM

Gaines Adams SUCKS!  He's just another Courtney Brown!

Sorry.  No one had yet to say something insane and then not back it up while arbitrarily comparing him to someone else.  You may proceed with the thread.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#33 : December 29, 2006, 03:50:57 PM

I'm not so sure Adams is the guy. Yes he does have some great speed, but UK keeps running the ball at him and he is no real factor there. Looks like Adams may be a great pass rusher, but not so good against the run. Also, on that screen pass that watson mentioned above, did you see how he tried to dive into the QB? He completely dropped his arms and did not wrap up. Alot of NFL QB's will be able to roll out of hits like that. But still keeping my eye on him.

the cover 2 defense is based on a strong pass rush from the front 4.  w/o a consistent pass rush, the back 7 guys suffer.  thus, i'm willing to sacrifice a little run defense if it means upgrading our pass rush. 

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#34 : December 29, 2006, 03:53:06 PM

I'm not so sure Adams is the guy. Yes he does have some great speed, but UK keeps running the ball at him and he is no real factor there. Looks like Adams may be a great pass rusher, but not so good against the run. Also, on that screen pass that watson mentioned above, did you see how he tried to dive into the QB? He completely dropped his arms and did not wrap up. Alot of NFL QB's will be able to roll out of hits like that. But still keeping my eye on him.

the cover 2 defense is based on a strong pass rush from the front 4. w/o a consistent pass rush, the back 7 guys suffer. thus, i'm willing to sacrifice a little run defense if it means upgrading our pass rush.

From what I read, he's considered to be a very good run defender.  Maybe it's just not his day.  But like someone said earlier, even if he's not that hot against the run, we're doing that already with Simeon.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 29, 2006, 03:56:22 PM

he isn't bad against the run.  it just isn't his best asset.  a few possesions ago when his helmet and jersey were torn off he still stuffed the RB for no gain at the LOS. 

doobiedoright

Hall of Famer

#36 : December 29, 2006, 04:22:29 PM

ok so anybody to watch in the next game?

cvillebucfan

Hall of Famer

#37 : December 29, 2006, 04:25:19 PM

The next guy to pay a really close eye on is Monday when Wisconsin plays and you get a look at big ol' joe thomas!

Baghead #2

Larry Brackins

Starter
#38 : December 29, 2006, 08:38:15 PM

ok so anybody to watch in the next game?
I know I am late, but Sidney Rice was a guy to watch.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

RenoBuc

Second String
#39 : December 30, 2006, 01:44:29 AM

The commentators just said he is getting held, kicked, grabbed and is getting frustrated. Not sure why, but he was not on the field on Kentucky's last 3rd down play.
[/quote
I also find that quite interesting. That was not the first time. It happenend also earlier in the game when he had the sack and fumble overturned. It was 3rd and long and Cleson went to 3 down linemaen, but not Adams. What I do like is that he is also looking to strip the ball during the sack.

watson

Hall of Famer
#40 : December 30, 2006, 06:30:51 AM

Not sure what his final tackle count was, but he had a pretty good game and Kentucky had to give their OLmen help to stop him.  This guy is a player and is the type of draft the Bucs need to get the defense back to what it used to be.  When I watched him play, he reminded me of what Julius Peppers used to look like when he was at NC.  He may never be as good as Peppers, but he has come of his traits.  And he looks better than last year's overall #1 draft choice did in college.  There is one video highlight of him....against Wake Forest I think....where they block a punt or field goal (don't remember which) and he recovers the ball and races to the end zone for a touchdown.  He showed really good speed in the clip, plus the awareness of where the ball was. 

I would love to see him in Pewter and Red...he could be the anchor on the DLine for years to come.  One last thing.  Don't forget that he and Bennett played together in college and although Bennett saw limited action this year, he did show speed.  With year of weight training and pro coaching he might still be a player that is part of the youth movement on defense.    The famiiarity of 3 years of playing together should help.

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#41 : December 30, 2006, 10:11:24 AM

He looked quite good to me. The run defense wasn't as bad as some folks made it out to be - teams will get some yards it ain't like you are gonna stuff everything every time. Thomas, Adams are both good picks. I'm gonna be eager to watch Branch because when i saw him vs. OSU he looked very, very average.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
If you think Manziel is the best QB in this draft I can safely assume you are an idiot and will treat you as such.

#42 : December 30, 2006, 11:52:34 AM

Im not sure Id agree that Adams looks bette rthan Mario Williams. I watched plenty of both of these guys being a ACC fan and both of them playing in the ACC, and Mario WIlliams dominated in college. Ive heard some people say he was inconsistent i college and definitely was no Julius Peppers prospect. I disagree. Every time I watched dMario Williams he was unblockable. Manny Lawson and Mario WIlliams were constantly changing the games the played in. They changed the flow for opposing offenses as they were both forcing the QB to take his eyes off his WRs and watch the ends close on him. Mario Williams and Lawson made QBs get rid of the ball quicker than they wnated to. Clemsons pass rush hasnt been that impressive this year, but I am a huge Gaines Adams fan nontheless. Id say he compares favorably to Mario Williams. I know ADW has been pimping Adams for awhile as have I, but Im a Joe Thomas guy. Joe Thomas #1 and Adams #2 with Levi Brown, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Calvin Johnson, Bbuster Davis and Dwayne Jarrett in the next wave. I think Adrian Peterson is 1/2 with Joe Thomas as the best players in the draft, but we obviously have no need to give another RB a 20+ mil signing bonus and use a top 5 pick on him.

Does anyone remember the USF V NC State bowl game last year? Mario Williams and Manny Lawson were unblockable

watson

Hall of Famer
#43 : December 30, 2006, 12:18:56 PM

Im not sure Id agree that Adams looks bette rthan Mario Williams. I watched plenty of both of these guys being a ACC fan and both of them playing in the ACC, and Mario WIlliams dominated in college. Ive heard some people say he was inconsistent i college and definitely was no Julius Peppers prospect. I disagree. Every time I watched dMario Williams he was unblockable. Manny Lawson and Mario WIlliams were constantly changing the games the played in. They changed the flow for opposing offenses as they were both forcing the QB to take his eyes off his WRs and watch the ends close on him. Mario Williams and Lawson made QBs get rid of the ball quicker than they wnated to. Clemsons pass rush hasnt been that impressive this year, but I am a huge Gaines Adams fan nontheless. Id say he compares favorably to Mario Williams. I know ADW has been pimping Adams for awhile as have I, but Im a Joe Thomas guy. Joe Thomas #1 and Adams #2 with Levi Brown, JaMarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Calvin Johnson, Bbuster Davis and Dwayne Jarrett in the next wave. I think Adrian Peterson is 1/2 with Joe Thomas as the best players in the draft, but we obviously have no need to give another RB a 20+ mil signing bonus and use a top 5 pick on him.

Does anyone remember the USF V NC State bowl game last year? Mario Williams and Manny Lawson were unblockable
MK,
I think the thing you have take into account is your last sentence.  It was Williams and Lawson which meant the defense couldn't focus on just one of them.  I didn't see anyone this year on Clemson that I thought was of the equal of Adams so he could be freed up like the Williams/Lawson duo were.  Living in SC I get to see the ACC on a weekly basis and Adams has been the real deal this year.

Truths:
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gaines Adams on TV Today « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools