Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Monte's eventual replacement? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

#15 : September 24, 2008, 04:16:07 PM

I wonder if the Bucs should do the Bowden/.Fisher thing and name Raheem D Coach in waiting so he won't leave until at least 2 years after Monty does eventually retire. Then we lock him up for the next four years or so with some nice change in his pocket.

I'd be in favor of that. I was angry when Mike Tomlin left for Pittsburgh

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#16 : September 24, 2008, 04:48:49 PM

Now that Matt Millen is gone from Detroit, former Tampa Bay defensive line coach Rod Marinelli’s current gig as the head coach of the Lions is in jeopardy.  While one could say that Matt didn’t surround him with the players, Rod didn’t do much with what he had.  Personally, I think Rod is the salt of the Earth.  But his record as a head coach, no matter who supplied him the players, is bad.

With all of that being said let me venture into the future and tell you what I hope happens.  First of all Rod has to get whacked.  Right now it seems like a done deal.  However, things could change.  Yeah I know this is the Lions we’re talking about, but it could happen.  Or the loyalty from the owner could kick in or the new GM could realize that with the right players Rod could make it happen.  Secondly, the Bucs have to reach out IMMEDIATELY to Rod’s agent and get that deal done.  The door can’t have split him in Detroit before Bruce has his sig on a new contract.  

Some would say, but why?  First off our defensive line is working hard, but no one coach’s those guys like Rod Marinelli.  I think Rod could take our fledgling pass rush and turn it into something special.  He’s that good.  Plus, we’re all waiting for Monte to call it a day.  Not that Rod is a spring chicken, but Monte can’t coach forever.  Why not Morris, you say?  I think Raheem is one of the hottest young coaches in the league.  He may not have the star power to go from position coach to head coach, but for sure he deserves to be a defensive coordinator.  Raheem not getting an offer in the off season will be the equivalent to wearing snow shoes at the Equator, not gonna happen.  It’s a done deal, just depends on the right team.  

Rod gives Monte a trusted assistant, someone to rely on, and a perfect replacement if Morris bolts and Monte retires. Plus, and most importantly, the Dre Moore’s, Gaines Adams, and Wilkerson’s of the world will get exponentially better exponentially faster…

Come home Rod, we need you dawg…

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

#17 : September 24, 2008, 05:18:45 PM

As much as I'd savor Rod's return, Raheem is extremely deserving.

Lest we forget though....I'm not sure that Rod or Joe are altogether pleased with Bruce Allen at how things went down with Joe's delayed departure from Tampa to Detroit.  Something to consider.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#18 : September 24, 2008, 08:25:04 PM

Prefer.  You are right.  Barry was bitter to say the least and didn't really try to hide it.  I don't know if I think its a good idea to keep even a good guy even he doesn't wanna work for you.  Its bound to rub off in the locker room or on the field somehow.  Just my opinon. 

And I think Chev is right.  Rod is history.  Be interesting to see what happens.

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#19 : September 24, 2008, 09:43:30 PM

Understand Joe's bitterness at being held in Tampa longer than he wanted, but as my mom always says "wanting and getting are two different things."  Joe was under contract. And if Joe would have left with Rod, would the Lions have been any better in that time? Have no problem with Rod coming back to Tampa, but maybe Tony Dungy makes a call too or even Lovie Smith because that guy is under heavy fire right now in Chicago. You never know.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#20 : September 24, 2008, 10:06:40 PM

The whole thing is contingent on three very telling factors either way.

1. Rod would have to be fired by the Lions an except a position coach gig as the defensive line coach, the other is what do you do with Wash who is the current defensive line coach, then you still have Coyer on the payroll as an assistant head coach.
2. Monte would have to retire for either Morris or Rod to have a chance at being the teams future defensive coordinator not sure he would retire after this season, but after the 2009 season his contract is up and not sure the team would give a new contract to a coach closing in on 75.
3. Raheem would have to resign as his contract is up after this season, then you would have to hope Monte retires, as Morris is a hot name within coaching circles.

Would not be surprised to see a guy like Gus Bradley who will be here until Montes contract is up get the nod or even a guy like Coyer who has been a defensive coordinator before in a similar scheme with the Broncos

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#21 : September 25, 2008, 05:18:12 AM

Whether Rod were to come back or not, the one thing I want to see above everything else is a contract extension for Raheem Morris. Far too many talented position coaches have left us over the years, so its time we curbed the exodus. Aswell as that, I think Morris would be the best eventual replacement for Kiffin of all the guys mentioned, I'm not totally sure that Rod would be so good at calling plays.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

ShotCaller

Pro Bowler

#22 : September 25, 2008, 08:48:40 AM

barry is probably wishing the bucs never let him go right about now!! :)

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#23 : September 25, 2008, 09:06:28 AM

If Rod were to come back he'd have to leave Barry at a rest stop somewhere between Tampa and Detroit.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#24 : September 25, 2008, 09:30:31 AM

Guys if Morris is not made the defensive coordinator at the end of the season he's as good as gone.  Any thoughts that Rod could not run the defense as the DC is straight crazy.  Come on guys wake up here. 

Without Carl Nix it feels like our running game just took a death blow to the face!

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#25 : September 25, 2008, 09:40:59 AM

Guys if Morris is not made the defensive coordinator at the end of the season he's as good as gone. Any thoughts that Rod could not run the defense as the DC is straight crazy. Come on guys wake up here.

Yeah my thoughts too. I just don't see Rod as DC material tbh. Awesome D-Line coach but that's it IMO.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#26 : September 25, 2008, 09:45:41 AM

Dude Rod is the man.  He's fogotten more about defense that Raheem knows today!  Trust that.  Rod's been around football for years and is well respected and for good reason.  You don't get a shot at HC from a position coach if you don't have some cred...

bucbeast

Second String
#27 : September 25, 2008, 09:49:57 AM

Guys if Morris is not made the defensive coordinator at the end of the season he's as good as gone. Any thoughts that Rod could not run the defense as the DC is straight crazy. Come on guys wake up here.

I have only seen Marinelli and Morris mentioned, has it not occurred to anyone that Montes possible successor is currently on our staff.......... I think Coyer gets the job to be quite honest, he has the knowledge, experience and respect that would be needed to fill the shoes of the great one!

BuccanAy

Hall of Famer

#28 : September 25, 2008, 09:51:43 AM

Our D will suffer immensely if Morris leaves.  Again what happened when Morris left for K-State and Monte was still coordinator.  We took a big step back.  Morris, IMO, is who keeps this defense gunning to be the best.

cheveliar

Hall of Famer

#29 : September 25, 2008, 09:53:11 AM

Coyer is nice and respectable.  Personally I don't want some guy out of the "Tampa - 2" family tree to come in here and just get the job because we've let all of the other viable choices get away...Please not another Burns/Franklin fiasco....

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Monte's eventual replacement? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools