Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs and the rest of the NFL's 2007 draft position... « previous next »
Page: 1

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
: December 29, 2006, 09:42:47 PM

I know this has been posted before, but Ourlads has a great page talking about where teams stand. It even has the total wins.

I think there's a typo with the Bucs because every other team has 225 games played by opponents while the Bucs are listed with 215. I believe the Bucs's opponents have 122 wins while Cleveland has 123. That puts the Bucs with the 3rd pick in the draft.

If the Bucs do lose this weekend, we need Cleveland to either win or have their 2006 opponents win the same or more games than the Bucs 2006 opponents this weekend. That would let the Bucs lock up the #3 pick and almost guarantee them a shot at Thomas or Adams (unless Detroit or the Raiders were to make a run at one of them).

While I like seeing the Bucs do well, this season is over. I hope they play well against Seattle, but I do hope they lose. Some of you may rip me for that, but I am pulling for this team's future success too. If the Bucs lose...most likely they'd fall to the 7th pick in the draft. 3 to 7 is a big drop...and not just in the first round. That's with every pick. So rip me all you want, but here's to the 3rd pick overall in the draft. :o

Whoa...shiver me ****in timbers!

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#1 : December 29, 2006, 10:25:50 PM

That's interesting, but I can't disagree with your logic. 3 eh? If QBs go 1-2 then we basically have every other guy to choose from. Gaines, Thomas or Johnson take your pick. Tough call. Let the debate begin.

In Verner We Trust

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#2 : December 29, 2006, 10:27:44 PM

Yeah...I just don't know if the Raiders will take a QB. That's their biggest need, but Davis is stubborn and might do his know best thing and take a guy like Calvin Johnson. I think a lot will also depend on who their new coach is. Either way, I will be happy with Thomas, Adams, or Johnson.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#3 : December 29, 2006, 10:29:24 PM

Kodiak, I'd prefer Thomas, Adams and then Johnson in that order. But I may change my mind by week's end!

In Verner We Trust

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#4 : December 30, 2006, 01:57:57 AM

I don't see the Raiders taking a QB and I don't see the Bucs taking an OL again in the first round.

Seriously, I don't think OL is our biggest need. We need QB, WR, DL, and secondary...in that order. LB is OK for now, and the OL that we have is already young and needs time to develop.

If Johnson is not avaliable and Gruden doesn't want any remaining QB, it is very possible we may trade down and get some extra first-day picks to fill holes.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#5 : December 30, 2006, 12:58:55 PM

i think Calvin Johnson is great talent but we have bigger needs.  Thus, i hope he is taken before we are on the clock so Gruden cant be tempted to draft another offensive player at the expense of our aging defense.  Adams is the top defender in the draft and is a great fit for our defense.   I hoping that he is our pick. 

coopsxx

Starter
#6 : December 30, 2006, 07:35:22 PM

always take the best player available, screw needs. we are not good enough anywhere to say that.
johnson is the best player. take him, fill needs in fa.

#7 : December 30, 2006, 07:48:29 PM

always take the best player available, screw needs. we are not good enough anywhere to say that.
RB, P, G, all are fine.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 30, 2006, 08:06:19 PM

I don't see how WR is a bigger need than O-Line or D-Line. We ranked second to last in sacks this year and our O-Line couldn't open any holes in the running game. Yes their pass protection was a little better, but we couldn't run the ball at all. Some might put the blame on Caddy but I honestly don't think he's the problem. Winning starts up front on both sides of the ball.

Also, you can have Jerry Rice, Randy Moss, and Marvin Harrison, but if you don't have a QB and the line to give him time...receivers don't matter. While I think QB is a need, drafting one with our first pick doesn't solve that problem this year. We just signed Simms and if we can land someone like Garcia, that might fix our QB problem for now. Drafting a QB with our first pick is pointless because that guy won't start until either the team is out of the playoff picture. If that happens...Gruden is gone. I won't complain if they draft a QB in rounds 2-3 because I don't think Gradkowsi is the answer.

With that said, D-Line and O-Line are a huge need right now and a young guy can come in and start and make a big impact right away. I think we all know Quinn will be gone by our pick. I am not ready to say that Brohm and Russell are good enough for that #3 pick. I want to see the combine and workout numbers first. Also for someone like Smith...I want to see him in an All Star game.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 30, 2006, 08:14:40 PM

O Line. Please! Unless we can pick up a stud in FA. The I want D and a lot of it.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer
#10 : December 30, 2006, 08:57:55 PM

Exactly.  If you are depending on rookies you are in trouble from the start.

Bucs_Rule

Hall of Famer
#11 : December 30, 2006, 09:39:39 PM

I say who we draft depends a lot on FA. If we get Freeney in FA then we wouldn't draft Adams and would probably go with Thomas or CJ.

Kodiak

Hall of Famer
#12 : December 30, 2006, 10:20:14 PM

We all realize that. I think we are just talking about where we stand now. If the Bucs sign a Freeney, some of the top lineman, and get a good receiver, then the Bucs could draft anybody...including a top QB. I know one thing...this is going to be one of the more fun offseasons in recent memory for the Bucs.

rpc1978

Hall of Famer

#13 : December 30, 2006, 11:33:46 PM

screw needs?? Yikes!  your type of thinking is what led Matt Millen to take a WR in the top 10 three years in a row.  Look at how well that's working in Detroit.  ;) ::) Team needs should play a major role in drafting and at least there should be some sort of balance between the "BPA" and "team needs" draft strategies.
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs and the rest of the NFL's 2007 draft position... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools