Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Scouting College Prospects & the Bucs « previous next »
Page: 1 2

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#15 : September 24, 2008, 05:24:57 PM

College Scout     Reggie Cobb
College Scout    Frank Dorazio
College Scout    Seth Turner
College Scout    Jim Abrams
College Scout    Brian Gardner
College Scout    Dominic Green
National Combine Scout    Byron Kiefer

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#16 : September 24, 2008, 05:34:02 PM

Well what is going for the bucs right now is that we still have a competitive team, even when missing on draft picks. We also have money to spend on free agents. So I think us bein successful, obviously we could be more successful, but the bucs have a good situation here. We only need some more talent on offense and a better pass rush and the bucs are up there as a team to beat.

king_frog

Hall of Famer
#17 : September 24, 2008, 05:57:53 PM

College Scout    Reggie Cobb
College Scout    Frank Dorazio
College Scout    Seth Turner
College Scout    Jim Abrams
College Scout    Brian Gardner
College Scout    Dominic Green
National Combine Scout    Byron Kiefer
Yucs,
Any of these guys hold overs ??

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#18 : September 24, 2008, 06:17:04 PM

Cobb has been with the team for 5 years as a scout got here two years after Gruden, spent two years as a scout for the Redskins 
Dorazio has been with the team for 7 years as a scout so he came when Gruden got here
Turner has been with the team for 8 years with the Bucs but only third year as a scout but has been here under Dungy / McKay
Abrams has been with the team for 3 years as a scout with the Bucs before that spent 13 years a s a scout with the 49ers
Gardner has been with the team for  seems to have been replaced by Tom Throckmorton, Throckmorton is in his first season with the Bucs but had seven years with the Texans before joining the Bucs
Green has been with the team for 2 years as a scout so he has been part of the last two drafts
Kiefer has been with the team for  1 year as a national scout but thrid overall in the personnel department

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

king_frog

Hall of Famer
#19 : September 24, 2008, 07:00:14 PM

Cobb has been with the team for 5 years as a scout got here two years after Gruden, spent two years as a scout for the Redskins
Dorazio has been with the team for 7 years as a scout so he came when Gruden got here
Turner has been with the team for 8 years with the Bucs but only third year as a scout but has been here under Dungy / McKay
Abrams has been with the team for 3 years as a scout with the Bucs before that spent 13 years a s a scout with the 49ers
Gardner has been with the team for seems to have been replaced by Tom Throckmorton, Throckmorton is in his first season with the Bucs but had seven years with the Texans before joining the Bucs
Green has been with the team for 2 years as a scout so he has been part of the last two drafts
Kiefer has been with the team for 1 year as a national scout but thrid overall in the personnel department
Well one things for sure, we have plenty of experience.. So whats up ??? I  realize that all of our picks are not going to be stellar players, but it sure seems like we are not drafting like we did in the 90's and early part of this decade. This is not in any way a slam against the current regime, but like it was previously posted maybe there is something to drafting polished character players from big programs.

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#20 : September 24, 2008, 07:19:24 PM

It wasnt that all the picks panned out but many of them turned out to be franchise leaders like Sapp, Brooks, Lynch, Barber, Alstott then when you add in players like Dunn, Abraham, Middleton, Mayberry, the real Dexter Jackson and add the likes of free agent players like Hardy Nickerson, Shelton Quarles the reality was the team was hitting on alot more then they really were because all of those players were drafted in the first three rounds except for the free agent additions. Which gave the impression the team was drafting great which it was in the first few round because so many of them panned out, but there were also alot of other early round picks that did not pan out like Anthony, Green, Jones, Upshaw and a host of others.

Oliver Goldsmith

king_frog

Hall of Famer
#21 : September 24, 2008, 07:33:11 PM

It wasnt that all the picks panned out but many of them turned out to be franchise leaders like Sapp, Brooks, Lynch, Barber, Alstott then when you add in players like Dunn, Abraham, Middleton, Mayberry, the real Dexter Jackson and add the likes of free agent players like Hardy Nickerson, Shelton Quarles the reality was the team was hitting on alot more then they really were because all of those players were drafted in the first three rounds except for the free agent additions. Which gave the impression the team was drafting great which it was in the first few round because so many of them panned out, but there were also alot of other early round picks that did not pan out like Anthony, Green, Jones, Upshaw and a host of others.
Yuc's.
When I look at some of those players that you named and think back to the team that we had, all I can say is WOW !! What great memories watching this team progress from the old creamcicle uniforms to the dominant team that we became in the late 90's.  I feel blessed to have been able to sit at the old sombrero and then at RayJay watching theses guy's become super bowl champs. Many many franchises that have been around a heckuva lot longer that us have never been able experience what we did. A lot of similarities with The Rays/ Mostly home grown hand picked talent. Young guy's who play for and believe in each other...

STULAAKE

Hall of Famer

#22 : September 24, 2008, 08:27:09 PM

Well what is going for the bucs right now is that we still have a competitive team, even when missing on draft picks. We also have money to spend on free agents. So I think us bein successful, obviously we could be more successful, but the bucs have a good situation here. We only need some more talent on offense and a better pass rush and the bucs are up there as a team to beat.

far beit for me to disagree, but I totally disagree with this take...IMO there has to be some quality to their drafts or else what you're saying is that the final 53 is made up of trades and FA, and I don't believe that to be true...

You must be accountable for your actions!

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#23 : September 25, 2008, 01:08:54 AM

I think it's time for some new scouts.

We also need an offense heavy draft.

I liked what the Redskins did taking Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly on the first day and I believe the Bucs should do something similar.

If we can nab an UT in FA I wouldn't bat an eye at a nearly pure offensive draft. I believe the defense has the pieces in place.

Thats just me

Our chances are much better at nabbing a solid TE/WR in FA than a more than serviceable UT. Those are extremely hard to find.

I would have a problem with an all offense draft. The reason we've got a young core again on defense is we started spending picks on it. Just because we found Gaines, Tanard, Talib, and Sabby doesn't mean we need to go back to offensive drafts AGAIN. Our first day picks have been favoring offense recently anyway (Davin, True, Stovall, Sears, Dexter, Zuttah to Gaines, Sabby, Black, and Talib). Just because we're GETTING MORE out of our top D picks and less out of our top O picks, doesn't mean we need to abandon the D again and feed the pick-wasting machine that is this offense.

We need weapons on offense, but just because we could target a top QB/LT/WR in round 1, doesn't mean we need to keep going back to the well every round after. Would you rather spend a 2nd or 3rd round pick on another tackle/another WR for the third time in four years, or a UT or LDE? I know what I'd favor.

Lord Jenkins

Hall of Famer

#24 : September 25, 2008, 01:33:17 AM

Time to compare to the Pats busts... only going up to the 4th round...

Marquis Hill - 2nd Round
Guss Scott - 3rd Round
Dexter Reid - 4th
Cedric Cobbs - 4th

Ellis Hobbs - 3rd
James Sanders 4th (he's on the fence)

Chad Jackson - 2nd round
David Thomas - 3rd round
Garret Mills - 4th round

Brandon Meriweather 1st (jury is still out here but he's losing promise)
Kareem Brown 4th (no 2nd or 3rd rounders here)

What have we learned here folks? Trade away all your draft picks for players... didn't work for the redskins, but if you know what you're trading for... voila... a la Randy Moss (who now looks horrible without Cassel throwing deep to him... Pats are dink and dunking.... and GASP losing... hmm... maybe having a deep threat is how you win)

#25 : September 25, 2008, 01:56:07 AM

Marquis Hill - 2nd Round
Guss Scott - 3rd Round
Dexter Reid - 4th
Cedric Cobbs - 4th

Ellis Hobbs - 3rd

Chad Jackson - 2nd round
David Thomas - 3rd round
Garret Mills - 4th round

What have we learned here folks? Trade away all your draft picks for players... didn't work for the redskins, but if you know what you're trading for... voila... a la Randy Moss (who now looks horrible without Cassel throwing deep to him... Pats are dink and dunking.... and GASP losing... hmm... maybe having a deep threat is how you win)
How in the hell is Ellis Hobbs a bust?

dbtb135

Practice Squad

#26 : September 25, 2008, 04:12:35 AM

I wouldn't call Hobbs a bust. He's had his times where guys got the better of him, but hell, Ronde has had that problem a big portion of his career and we still consider him great. Hobbs is a good zone CB, and a slightly below average man CB. But he's a solid pick for a 3rd rounder. I don't see how you give up on Meriweather so quickly either. The jury is still out on MOST draft picks from last year.....

bait619

Starter

#27 : September 25, 2008, 05:19:11 AM

at least we didn't draft this guy...people'd be havin his head

Jamaal Anderson:  Anderson was just 21 years old last year when he was drafted in the 8th overall in the 1st round of last year’s draft.  Since then he has started every game (19) since becoming a Falcon.  However, in those 19 games he has only logged 39 total tackles and ZERO sacks.   The good news is that Anderson is playing opposite of John Abraham so Anderson won’t be seeing any double teams in the near future.  Believe it or not, in week one Anderson actually played 56 snaps (0 tackles) to Abrahams 35 snaps (4 tackles & 3 sacks).  At least it looks as if the Falcons are going to give Anderson the opportunity to play.  The other good thing is that in his past 2 games he has logged 9 tackles and could be taking a step forward.  Anderson won’t go without recording a sack this year but he isn’t ready for prime time yet either.  If you have deep rosters or taxi squads Anderson is young enough and has enough raw talent that you should still sit on him if you can.  In a couple of years he could end up a double digit sack guy but he is going to make you wait, unfortunately.

http://www.thehuddle.com/x8/season/w04/idp-dyn.php

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#28 : September 25, 2008, 07:19:31 AM

Marquis Hill - 2nd Round
Guss Scott - 3rd Round
Dexter Reid - 4th
Cedric Cobbs - 4th

Ellis Hobbs - 3rd

Chad Jackson - 2nd round
David Thomas - 3rd round
Garret Mills - 4th round

Dude, Marquis Hill is dead.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#29 : September 25, 2008, 08:32:37 AM

He cost NE as much as those busts we paid the Raiders for Gruden.

I'm sure we can go through every teams drafts and find busts, misses and mistakes.

Of the 14 picks you used as an example, 4 of those were for Gruden. He didn't give those picks away. The Glazers and Rich McKay did.

So we missed on 10 players in 7 years? Seems a little nit picky to me.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Scouting College Prospects & the Bucs « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools