Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Geno Hayes playing an early sign of Derrick's Last year? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#15 : September 26, 2008, 02:30:50 AM

Has anyone else noticed Geno Hayes has been playing A LOT?

I just thought of this, do you guys think Brooks might have told Monte that this might be his last year? I've noticed Hayes in on a lot of plays and thought they might be giving him game time to be ready next year to start.

What do you guys think?

Yes and no.  The original plan was for Black to learn the position (SAM) and take over for Cato who would eventually replace DB.  But this very late round draftee suprised everyone in TC/PS and EARNED the right for a little playing time.  He then made the best of that opportunity and has EARNED even more snaps.

Do I think DB told Monte something and that led to this, NO.

Do I think we found a 6th round Diamond ala Colston/Brady of LBs, quite possibly.

schtoomy

Second String

#16 : September 26, 2008, 02:38:43 AM

I just thought of this, do you guys think Brooks might have told Monte that this might be his last year? I've noticed Hayes in on a lot of plays and thought they might be giving him game time to be ready next year to start.

What do you guys think?

Yes and no.  The original plan was for Black to learn the position (SAM) and take over for Cato who would eventually replace DB.  But this very late round draftee suprised everyone in TC/PS and EARNED the right for a little playing time.  He then made the best of that opportunity and has EARNED even more snaps.

Do I think we found a 6th round Diamond ala Colston/Brady of LBs, quite possibly.

umm... you guys know brooks has a hamstring injury, yea? 

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
#17 : September 26, 2008, 02:48:13 AM

What do you guys think?

uuh yeah.

But had Geno not REALLY stood out, Cato would have slid to Will, and Black would have filled in at SAM. 

Monte is not known for just giving playing time to rooks.  You have to really stand out to get PT from Monte, and Geno has done just that.

schtoomy

Second String

#18 : September 26, 2008, 03:06:48 AM

What do you guys think?

uuh yeah.

But had Geno not REALLY stood out, Cato would have slid to Will, and Black would have filled in at SAM. 

Monte is not known for just giving playing time to rooks.  You have to really stand out to get PT from Monte, and Geno has done just that.

my bad man, i just re-read your post.  somehow, the first time through, i missed the big "NO" after the part about brooks saying something to monte.  i do agree that hayes must have shown something pretty special to be getting reps this early in his career. 

i do disagree with prior sentiments expressing that geno playing is a signal that brooks is done...

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#19 : September 26, 2008, 04:56:04 AM

What do you guys think?

Yes and no. The original plan was for Black to learn the position (SAM) and take over for Cato who would eventually replace DB. But this very late round draftee suprised everyone in TC/PS and EARNED the right for a little playing time. He then made the best of that opportunity and has EARNED even more snaps.

uuh yeah.

Monte is not known for just giving playing time to rooks. You have to really stand out to get PT from Monte, and Geno has done just that.

Exactly. How else did Tanard Jackson and Aqib Talib make the field as rookies? Solid TC's and good preseason performances. I'm sure Sabby would have had it same had he not got hurt last year.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

twmj2001

Rookie

#20 : September 26, 2008, 05:54:10 AM

My Gawd I hope so !
# 55 is a distant memory....#55 was a terror on the field from sideline to sideline and every inch on and off the field

From the hot sun baked steeps of the Ole Sombrero

Runole

Hall of Famer
#21 : September 26, 2008, 09:31:32 AM

Brooks health and the way he feels will determine whether this is his last year.   Got a little dinged and perhaps that is a sign but JMO I think he will play at least one more year.   Hayes has the instincts and the athletic ability.  If he can learn the discipline of Monty's system he just may be the starter in  a couple of years ala Rudd.

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#22 : September 26, 2008, 09:31:42 AM

Shoulda signed Briggs to prepare for this...I knew his and GallowayTooOld days were numbered...alot of you bashed me for it too...Oh well, Geno handle your business man...

So we should have signed a free agent to a huge contract when we might have a replacement on the roster for a late round draft pick? Riiiight.
keyword here is MIGHT...Get over this huge contract nonsense...

And Briggs MIGHT have worked out. Or he might be a flop like (thus far) Stallworth in Cleveland and Porter in Jacksonville. Or Eugene Wilson here, lol, never know if a player will translate his success to a new team.

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

Runole

Hall of Famer
#23 : September 26, 2008, 09:36:49 AM

Personally, I am not sure Briggs would fit in the Bucs system. Doesn't mean he isn't a great player.

#24 : September 26, 2008, 09:40:39 AM

Personally, I am not sure Briggs would fit in the Bucs system. Doesn't mean he isn't a great player.

Briggs would be a good fit here for sure, but Im glad we didnt go and get him. If were gonna break the bank it might as well be on a WR

Runole

Hall of Famer
#25 : September 26, 2008, 09:56:49 AM

Briggs would be a good fit here for sure, but Im glad we didnt go and get him. If were gonna break the bank it might as well be on a WR

Not to be argumentative but you base that on what?   I was not impressed with the Bears version of the Cover 2.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#26 : September 26, 2008, 10:02:32 AM

Not to be argumentative but you base that on what?   I was not impressed with the Bears version of the Cover 2.
You're going to base his career on one game? The guy has made two Pro Bowls and been an alternate in another. The Bears annually have a very good defense. He's a very good player.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#27 : September 26, 2008, 10:10:56 AM

You're going to base his career on one game? The guy has made two Pro Bowls and been an alternate in another. The Bears annually have a very good defense. He's a very good player.

Ian Gold was pretty good in Denver, Pro Bowler, came to Tampa and left the following year because he apparently didn't fit. Free agency isn't a guaranteed.

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

#28 : September 26, 2008, 10:13:13 AM

Not impressed?

Um, did you watch more than one game before you came up with that assessment?

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#29 : September 26, 2008, 10:19:54 AM

1.) Ian Gold didn't play for a head coach who used to work for the Bucs.

2.) The Bucs had no intention of him playing for more than that one year. He was coming off a major injury in which he only played 6 games in 2003. His contract was up and Denver wasn't sure they wanted to pay full price for damaged goods. So he signed a minimum deal to play an easy position for a loaded defense and show he was healthy again. When that season was over, the Bucs had no money to sign him and historically Sam linebacker has not been a position the Bucs spent much money on, so he went back to Denver and got a nice contract.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Geno Hayes playing an early sign of Derrick's Last year? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools