Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PY on ESPN says we have a star « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

S.A.N.T.A.N.A.

Starter

#15 : September 30, 2008, 11:34:33 PM

Ruud is closer to being a star than Gaines

, IMO

benir0

Hall of Famer
#16 : September 30, 2008, 11:57:36 PM

Gaines is getting a lot of pressure on the QBs this year.  He has missed out on about three or four sacks as a result of the QB throwing the ball away...I like that.  It is almost just as good.

As long as the man is making the QBs nervous, he is doing his job, with or without the bling (sack).

I agree.  He's been applying consistent pressure.  And if you're a stats man: 2 sacks, 2 INTs, 2 passes defensed and a TD in 4 games ain't half bad.  He is defeinitely a star IMO.

The best thing is, I still think he can take that next step and become a dominant pass rusher.

benir0

Hall of Famer
#17 : October 01, 2008, 12:00:02 AM

Gotta give props where due. He's playin well but my defensive mvp thru week 4 is Barrett Ruud. As Chris Berman said Sunday, his play is "rude and obnoxious".

Ah, yes.  I love Ruud in the middle.  I thought that INT in the Chicgo game was not just a great play on the receivers hands and great concentration, but also just a quintessential Tampa 2 MLB play.  He had to drop deep down the dieline against a HB.  He covered the distance and broke it up.  He's just what we need at that spot and could be great sooner rather than later.

MVP

Pro Bowler

#18 : October 01, 2008, 12:56:33 AM

I'd like to see Gaines develop a stronger bull rush but he has the ability to be Tampa's version of Julius Peppers.

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#19 : October 01, 2008, 05:08:01 AM

I love how complete a player Adams is turning into. He's proven that he's a danger to opposing offenses in coverage and he plays the run really well IMO. His pass rushing skills are pretty good too and coming along well, I'd just like to see him work on a few more different moves liek a spin and a bull rush which would elevate his game further.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

MarineBuc

Starter

#20 : October 01, 2008, 06:50:10 AM

This was a nice little throw in with all of the praise for Gaines.

"I've said before and I've said it again, Brooks is the best player ever to play for an NFC South team"

#21 : October 01, 2008, 08:48:11 AM

Gaines isnt a "Star" yet...  he's had two good games this year, but really, how amazing is it really to catch a football that's thrown right at you... twice?   When he starts raking up 2-3-4 sacks a game...   THEN, he will be  a"Star".    I think "good player" would be more appropriate.   Im not trying to be negative, Im just keeping it real. 

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#22 : October 01, 2008, 08:56:56 AM

I don't think he's quite a "star", but he's on the waiting list.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

MBF

Hall of Famer

#23 : October 01, 2008, 09:42:17 AM

I was definitely wrong about Gaines Adams.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#24 : October 01, 2008, 09:46:13 AM

This was a nice little throw in with all of the praise for Gaines.

"I've said before and I've said it again, Brooks is the best player ever to play for an NFC South team"

DB looks like he's shaved the last 2-3 yrs. off his career...

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#25 : October 01, 2008, 10:31:14 AM

Ruud is a star in my opinion. Ruud has been consistent and played better than adams over the last season +

Adams is on his way though.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#26 : October 01, 2008, 10:43:44 AM

When he starts raking up 2-3-4 sacks a game...   THEN, he will be  a"Star".   

What?  Insisting he needs to be getting a sack a game to be considered a star is silly.  That, however, is flat out ridiculous.

JC510

Practice Squad

#27 : October 01, 2008, 10:45:13 AM

Gaines isnt a "Star" yet...� he's had two good games this year, but really, how amazing is it really to catch a football that's thrown right at you... twice?� �When he starts raking up 2-3-4 sacks a game...� �THEN, he will be� a"Star".� � I think "good player" would be more appropriate.� �Im not trying to be negative, Im just keeping it real.�

You're right. He's got to be more consistent with the pressure.

I think Ruud and the offensive line have reached star level though.

#28 : October 01, 2008, 10:55:42 AM

I agree.  Ruud is a star..   the only thing that hurts him is sized (bulk), so he's not destroying people...  but he's a great tackler and a great cover LB, and his intelligence on the field is above ost pro-bowlers

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#29 : October 01, 2008, 11:11:36 AM

he's played the run well since about midseason last year, and his ability to drop into coverage makes him a more complete DE than anyone was prepared to project him as....gaines' production will not be measured only in sacks, he has to be respected when he drops into coverage (especially with those go-go-gadget arms) and he allows monte (along with LBs like Ruud and man-coverage CBs like p-buc and talib) to add wrinkles to this defense on the blitzing front that couldn't be considered 3 or 4 years ago....he's a key component in this defense redefining itself a bit...simeon dropped into coverage now and again, but that was just bonus...it looks like it'll be part of a standard day's work for gaines.

he's had two good games this year, but really, how amazing is it really to catch a football that's thrown right at you... twice?

a) well, i've watched asante samuel play 2 games this year, and he's easily had 6 potential picks bounce off his hands, so i'm sure he'd tell you it's pretty impressive
b) how about some credit for seeing the throwing lane and getting into position?  he was heads up last year, i remember him peeling off his pass rush and batting down a screen at least once last year, and he's showing an awareness of where the ball will be going on the hot read on the zone blitz, and even if he batted those 2 down instead of picking them off that would be a great sign of his versatility and growing football smarts....

folks forget that this kid has only been playing 11 on 11 football since arriving at clemson....if he's come this far in terms of football awareness (which is more of a factor in his being effective vs the run than his physical strength) in 20 games as a pro, he could easily be the derrick brooks of this D-Line sooner rather than later in terms of play recognition and setting up his unit pre-snap

consistency is VERY important, of course, but it's impossible to demonstrate over 20 games, so instead you give him credit for having gotten consistently better which is all he can do.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: PY on ESPN says we have a star « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools