Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: From: Al Davis | To: Lane Kiffin « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Warthog

Pro Bowler

: October 01, 2008, 12:55:06 AM

The full text of Al Davis' letter to Lane Kiffin, which he showed to the press during his announcement that Kiffin was fired. 

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5giohZGfpWSBeqps-0AssVTAzGzUw

Quote from: Crazy Al
September 12, 2008

By Hand Delivery and Federal Express

Dear Lane:

Over the past months, you have made a number of public statements that were highly critical of, and designed to embarrass and discredit, this organization, its players and its coaches. I left you alone during training camp in hopes that you would cease your immature and destructive campaign.

However, you continue to make public statements that are critical of the organization, its players as whole as well as individual players. Such statements constitute conduct detrimental to the Raiders and I will no longer stand silently by while you continue to hurt this organization.

Further, your contract is quite clear that you work "subject to the direction and supervision of the General Partner" and that the General Partner has "the exclusive right to do all things, which in its sole discretion are necessary to maintain and improve the Club, the football organization and their activities."

I realized when I hired you that you were young and inexperienced and that there would be a learning process for you. Your mistakes on player personnel and coaches were overlooked based on our patience with you. But I never dreamt that you would be untruthful in statements to the press as well as on so many other issues. Your actions are those of a coach looking to makes (sic) excuses for not winning, rather than a coach focused on winning.

For example, with the exception of Gibril Wilson, you were involved in recruiting all free agents and determining salaries for them and you were explicit about your desire to sign Javon Walker and DeAngelo Hall amongst others. All were a must to sign in your eyes, Hall, in particular, because he played for Greg Knapp in Atlanta and Knapp gave him high grades. Do not run from that now.

I do realize that you did not want us to draft JaMarcus Russell. He is a great player. Get over it and coach this team on the field, that is what you were hired to do. We can win with this team!

In regards to your recent fabrications about the defense, during the final cuts you made every cut on offense and every cut on defense except for (Fred) Wakefield on defense and (Seth) Wand on offense. Furthermore, during the game Monday night (defensive coordinator) Rob (Ryan) played your Cover-2 defense and we got killed on an approximately 50-yard touchdown pass and an approximately 70-yard gain that led to a field goal.

You meet every week with the defensive coaches to go over both the past game and to get a general feel for what will happen during the week in practice. You have the ability and authority to provide your input during those meetings and the preparation of the game plan. I do not have weekly meetings with Rob - you do.

During the week no one has ever told you what to do on either offense or defense. In addition, no one has ever told you during a game what to do on either offense or defense and you call every play on offense. During a game if you want to blitz more, all you have to do is let Rob know what blitz you want and he will do it.

Although you continue to use the media to express your dissatisfaction with others, no one has publicly pointed out to you that in four preseason games and one regular-season game played this year, your offense has scored one first-half touchdown. That put tremendous pressure on the defense.

I know that you wanted to bring your father in to run the defense and that Monte told me that he wanted to come here even though he as (sic) under contract to Tampa. However I did not want to tamper with another team. In any event that was over seven months ago. Do not now also run from the defense and your responsibilities.

This letter constitutes notice that if you further violate any term of your contract, in any manner whatsoever, you will be terminated for cause. I trust that this will not occur.

A.D. Football, Inc.

I leave at first light, headed North. Well do I recognize that I did not cover myself in glory. But never did I dream that for my failures I would be exiled. - the diary of Gen. L. P. McCown

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 01, 2008, 12:58:37 AM

Al is a **CENSORED** bag.

Warthog

Pro Bowler

#2 : October 01, 2008, 01:10:19 AM

Gotta love Al Davis blaming Kiffin for errors on defense caused by Rob Ryan's playcalling. Wh-wh-wh-what?!

By this logic I'm assuming he will fire Ryan too. Oh no wait, this is Al Davis we're talking about. He will probably give Ryan a juicy contract extension including extra for reaching incentives such as "providing me with a convenient excuse to fire my head coach if I decide I don't like his haircut."

I leave at first light, headed North. Well do I recognize that I did not cover myself in glory. But never did I dream that for my failures I would be exiled. - the diary of Gen. L. P. McCown

finnbluebucs

Hall of Famer
#3 : October 01, 2008, 04:57:11 AM

...and Monte Kiffin wanted to leave Tampa to go there? I don't really believe that.

\"We are frustrated at not making the playoffs. It is a good start. That is all it is. It is a good start for something that we are going to be in the future. - Josh Freeman

Warthog

Pro Bowler

#4 : October 01, 2008, 05:21:01 AM

...and Monte Kiffin wanted to leave Tampa to go there? I don't really believe that.

Yeah I doubt anything Davis says should be taken seriously.

watson

Hall of Famer
#5 : October 01, 2008, 07:07:23 AM

And if he did, it would not constitute tampering since Monte's contract was up at the end of the 2007 season and he was free to sign a new contract with whoever he wanted to.  And if Lane wanted him to be his def coord, I say good for Lane.  Between Rob Ryan and Monte Kiffin, who would you rather have in that position?

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#6 : October 01, 2008, 08:16:49 AM

The sad thing is that Al Davis is airing all of his "dirty laundry" in public. There's just no excuse or reason for calling somebody a liar right out in public and saying you fired them because of it.

His logic is so flawed because he tries to say that Lane made all of those decisions on personnel, etc. and everybody and their mother knows that nobody does anything without checking with Al Davis first. The dude is the biggest liar there is. I don't even think he knows what he's doing anymore because he is killing the organization which I do truly believe he wants to win.

flyinbuc

Pro Bowler

#7 : October 01, 2008, 08:44:04 AM

Juicy.. I just love watching a train wreck when Al Davis is the one getting wrecked.  When will the owners censure this embarrassment

Magnaccia

Pro Bowler

#8 : October 01, 2008, 09:24:10 AM

The sad thing is that Al Davis is airing all of his "dirty laundry" in public. There's just no excuse or reason for calling somebody a liar right out in public and saying you fired them because of it.

His logic is so flawed because he tries to say that Lane made all of those decisions on personnel, etc. and everybody and their mother knows that nobody does anything without checking with Al Davis first. The dude is the biggest liar there is. I don't even think he knows what he's doing anymore because he is killing the organization which I do truly believe he wants to win.

Actually there is a point. If Davis doesn't let the public know exactly why he fired Kiffin, it looks like he had no valid reason and is just being wreckless and stupid.

I've read Kiffin was heavily against Walker and Hall getting signed, funny how Davis says the exact opposite.. wonder who's really to be believed.

http://www.graphicdesignmoney.comMake $$$$ online, ask me how :]

king_frog

Hall of Famer
#9 : October 01, 2008, 11:19:33 AM

Al Davis stinks worse than yesterday's diapers...

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 01, 2008, 11:23:49 AM

Davis is going to come out looking like the sane one here.

Kiffin is looking more and more like a spoiled brat who should have stayed away from Oakland in the
first place. What did he excpect?

MBF

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 01, 2008, 11:25:37 AM

I know that you wanted to bring your father in to run the defense and that Monte told me that he wanted to come here even though he as (sic) under contract to Tampa. However I did not want to tamper with another team

So Monte "telling him he wanted to go there" isn't tampering?

Pick6

Hall of Famer
#12 : October 01, 2008, 12:00:44 PM

if this letter is accurate - and really, who the hell knows? - then kiffin sounds like a guy who hasn't adjusted to being responsible for all 53 players on a football team, and may have been playing off of al davis' reputation as a loony-toon with a hair trigger for firing coaches.

MarineBuc

Starter

#13 : October 01, 2008, 12:06:25 PM

This is done in very poor taste...you do not air your dirty laundry with employees in public.

This is just another example of Al being coocoo for cocoa puffs.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 01, 2008, 12:09:12 PM

When will the owners censure this embarrassment

Isn't Al Davis the owner?

What is he I don't understand
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: From: Al Davis | To: Lane Kiffin « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools