Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: From: Al Davis | To: Lane Kiffin « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#30 : October 01, 2008, 04:17:24 PM

Not really. That's up to the court to decide and they'll decide on many more issues besides his press conferences.

It doesn't matter what the public believes and there will be evidence provided for them which aren't coming from the press conferences.

He was showing off his "evidence" at the press conference.

What do you think the point of the hour-long press conference was?

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#31 : October 01, 2008, 05:06:09 PM

TAMPA, Fla. -- Some hilarious stuff from Denver coach Mike Shanahan on his conference call with the Tampa Bay media.

Shanahan, who had a well-publicized parting with Oakland and Al Davis, provided a unique perspective on the Raiders' firing of Lane Kiffin.

"I was a little upset because Lane actually lasted 34 days more than me,'' Shanahan said with a laugh. "That means Al likes Lane better than me. I was a little upset with that. Our records were fairly close, but I just thought I'd lighten the mood a little bit.

Shanahan then kept the mood light.

"You think about it, it doesn't seem fair,'' Shanahan said. "I was 8-12. He was 5-15, but he got 34 days more paid than I did. It doesn't seem right.

Shanahan sure sounded like a man who believes he's had the last laugh on Davis.

"Anyway, I told people the press conference speaks for itself,'' Shanahan said. "I don't have to say anything.''

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcsouth/0-4-2/Shanahan-jokes-about-Raiders--situation.html

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#32 : October 01, 2008, 05:12:52 PM

The point of his press conference is to tell the public via the media why he, the owner, made a coaching change. Although this shows a glimpse into his mindset for making the decision that's all that it does. Who knows what reasons lie beneath for this. Secondly, as I suggested and this is clearly an assumption on my part he could be found in breach of his contract to Kiffin if he would fire him for something other than "cause" as he mentioned it. For that, I do grant you that he is trying to mount evidence that this is indeed why he fired Kiffin. That's an assumption, though, and that's the bottom line of what I am saying.

In court they'll be privy to much more information including but not limited to the contract itself. Unfortunately, I am not privy to that information [to my knowledge] and neither are you or any of us.

This is also the type of thing which could be pretty simple. Probably decided on summary judgment if the terms of the contract are clear. That renders the press conferences irrelevant because the audience he is addressing would be different from the audience he needs to address to win summary judgment. Judges aren't so easily persuaded as the general public most of the time.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#33 : October 01, 2008, 05:37:29 PM

The point of his press conference is to tell the public via the media why he, the owner, made a coaching change.

Did I miss the Chip Rosenbloom's (the owner of the Rams) hour-long press conference detailing conversations, letters, hearsay, etc. to the media, or just about any other owner after firing his head coach for that matter?

The press conference was definitely more than simply an explanation of the coaching change, IMO.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#34 : October 02, 2008, 08:34:06 AM

worst part of all of this is that Lane Kiffin won't see a cent of the money due to him.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#35 : October 02, 2008, 08:42:38 AM

The point of his press conference is to tell the public via the media why he, the owner, made a coaching change.

Did I miss the Chip Rosenbloom's (the owner of the Rams) hour-long press conference detailing conversations, letters, hearsay, etc. to the media, or just about any other owner after firing his head coach for that matter?

The press conference was definitely more than simply an explanation of the coaching change, IMO.

You can obviously believe or think whatever you want. The point that I am trying to make, and really, seem to be failing at is that these press conferences don't represent a comprehensive presentation of reasoning. They're limited to what the owner wants to divulge and not what they have to divulge. There's obviously more information on this firing that Al Davis could present. It's pretty clear he isn't going to present the entire body of evidence he has at a press conference.

And once again, I am interested in the contractual dispute between Davis and Kiffin. The press conference, I assure you, will have little bearing on the proceedings in that matter. There are things Davis isn't presenting which are the real body of evidence, not the press conference.

Warthog

Pro Bowler

#36 : October 02, 2008, 09:12:14 AM

Guys guys guys, y'all don't have to look for a "point" in Davis' press conference. He is crazy, and the actions of a crazy man don't need to make any particular sense.

I leave at first light, headed North. Well do I recognize that I did not cover myself in glory. But never did I dream that for my failures I would be exiled. - the diary of Gen. L. P. McCown

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#37 : October 02, 2008, 09:30:50 AM

There's obviously more information on this firing that Al Davis could present. It's pretty clear he isn't going to present the entire body of evidence he has at a press conference.

There are things Davis isn't presenting which are the real body of evidence, not the press conference.

Option,

What makes you think that?

It appeared to me that Davis pretty much threw all he had out in his press conference....private letters, conversations, etc.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#38 : October 02, 2008, 09:34:21 AM

The PC really didn't serve much of a purpose. The letter Davis sent Lane Kiffen did and that was to act as a document...and thus...evidence....in any court matter that may come up. The letter was vague enough to be interpreted in a number of ways and...at some point...it could be said that Lane violated the terms of the letter and thus was being insubordinate.

It's all about one thing and that is Davis not wanting to pay Kiffin.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#39 : October 02, 2008, 09:38:38 AM

It's all about one thing and that is Davis not wanting to pay Kiffin.

Exactly.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#40 : October 02, 2008, 09:45:58 AM

Again, it's all about the contract. Without going into further details about it that's the crux of the matter.

Secondly, there could be things such as inter-office memos that could come up that would prove much more effective than anything Davis presented during his press conference. Admittedly, I only saw the snippet of the press conference that is on the internet. I couldn't/didn't have time to find the whole thing.

More than anything I want to just know what that contract says. That's where everything is and it's clearly not discussed in what I saw from the press conference. I admit the conference is tactic but it's not comprehensive.

Ryan, the letter is a different story. It was presented there, sure, but it's also not comprehensive.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#41 : October 03, 2008, 01:20:00 PM

Most of the NFL people I talked to don't think Al Davis is going to be able to get away with stiffing fired head coach Lane Kiffin on the approximately $3 million left on his contract. The Raiders owner claims he doesn't have to pay off Kiffin because he fired him "with cause." But none of the reasons he gave earlier this week for canning Kiffin, including not agreeing with many of Davis' personnel decisions and wanting to fire defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, seem to back up Davis' "cause" claim. "He's got no shot at getting the commissioner's approval on this," an NFC general manager said. "The last thing Roger wants to do is set a precedent that would open the door for other owners to try this stunt. It doesn't put the league in a good light."

Raiders

OldBloodandBucs

Starter

#42 : October 03, 2008, 01:40:56 PM

Al is a **CENSORED** bag.

yes he is...

One that should be institutionalized.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: From: Al Davis | To: Lane Kiffin « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools