Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The VP Debate « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 17

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#15 : October 01, 2008, 12:32:01 PM

More evidence that the media elites are all in the tank for Obama. When that is true how do you think you will ever get any type of unbiased reporting?

The media is ALWAYS in the tank with the more leftist candidate.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#16 : October 01, 2008, 01:00:04 PM

Gwen Ifill isn't even close to being the partisan Hannity is.

Ifill is a Journalist with a capital J. She wrote a book about race and politics. She isn't "in the tank" for either side.

If anything I believe she'll go out of her way to be impartial.

Why not wait until after the debate to decide?
If she is a "Journalist with a capital J", I'd think she might possibly step down over the obvious conflict of interest. After all, I imagine her book sales will be greater if Obama wins. Isn't that potential financial windfall enough to quite possibly taint her impartiality? Even if she is able to be impartial, it's not going to look like it to many people. As I said in my original response, it's the perception and appearance that is troubling to me. Why not avoid the appearance of bias as much as possible and find someone with less of a financial stake in who gets elected?

You are exactly right, Nova.

Obama/Biden win, she sells more books, period.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#17 : October 01, 2008, 01:01:48 PM

You are exactly right, Nova.

Obama/Biden win, she sells more books, period.

If they lose, her book goes out of print. 

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#18 : October 01, 2008, 01:05:41 PM

Obama is pulling away. He will win big, IMO.

If you know anything about Gwen, you'll know that she'll be professional and unbiased, regardless
of her personal feelings about the candidates. If she's not, I'll be surprised.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#19 : October 01, 2008, 01:07:00 PM

The debate is tomorrow night. The moderator is Gwen Ifill. She has a book coming out in January. The title of which is :

"The Breaktrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama".

For the sake of appearances, anybody else think that this was probably not the best choice for the moderator? Not only has she already thrown her hat into the ring but since she has a vested interest in making Obama look good (i.e. it is highly unlikely her book will do well if Obama is not elected), anything that looks like other than total impartiality will cause an uproar.

Already coming up with excuses for your candidate's failure?

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#20 : October 01, 2008, 01:09:11 PM

Obama is pulling away. He will win big, IMO.

If you know anything about Gwen, you'll know that she'll be professional and unbiased, regardless
of her personal feelings about the candidates. If she's not, I'll be surprised.

You said he was pulling away 3 weeks ago....how is a 4 pt lead "pulling away?" Especially when the margin of error is +/- 4 pts.

Obama can't seem to break 50% and now McCain is catching back up.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#21 : October 01, 2008, 01:12:02 PM

Curious why McCain's camp would allow a biased moderator for the VP debate.   In other words, the Republican party deserves to lose - not smart enough to notice when they're being bamboozled.  Just think what could get passed them if they win the election - they're likely to give the country away.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#22 : October 01, 2008, 01:13:00 PM

The debate won't change much unless Palin does amazingly well or amazingly bad.

Here is a scenario, Ifill gives the impression of total impartiality in the manner in which the debate is handled, yet only asks soft questions which makes it virtually impossible for any candidate to shine or fall flat?

I don't know Ilfill so I really cannot question her integrity or honesty, and as I and others pointed out, that really isn't the issue here, the appearance is that she has most to gain from Obama winning the election, I think she should recuse herself.

NovaBuc

Starter

#23 : October 01, 2008, 01:30:25 PM

I like Ifill and have generally enjoyed when she is the moderator in the debates. I imagine she will be professional and impartial, but that's kinda not the point here to be honest. It's the appearance of impropriety that is the problem. She's in a no-win situation. If she asks Palin a tough question, she's in the tank. If she stays away from the tough questions, she's trying too hard to avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest. I just don't see why there can't be a moderator who doesn't have an obvious monetary tie-in to the outcome of the campaign.

By the way, apparently the McCain campaign was unaware of her book when the debates were planned out. Bit surprising after all of the wrangling they did to get the more formal format for the VP debate.

kmitchell

Starter

#24 : October 01, 2008, 01:31:00 PM

I have a feeling Palin is going to get destroyed. We'll see what happens.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#25 : October 01, 2008, 02:03:17 PM

No...nothing will change. The McCain supporters will think Palin won and the Obama supporters will think Biden won.

Just like last week...

These debates are not designed for the people who have already made up their minds, they are designed to get people who havnt made up their mind yet.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#26 : October 01, 2008, 02:07:39 PM

And these polls...they are a joke. ABC News poll showed Obama up by 9 points last week. What does it show right now? McCain up by 4 points.

The polls are absurd. They were wrong in 2000, wrong in 2002, wrong in 2004, wrong in 2006, off by a 7 pt average in the 2008 primaries, and I dont see any indication they will be any more accurate on November 4th.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#27 : October 01, 2008, 02:14:24 PM

No...nothing will change. The McCain supporters will think Palin won and the Obama supporters will think Biden won.

Palin will be lucky not to throw-up on herself. It's going to be a trainwreck and there will be no way the R's can say she won.

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#28 : October 01, 2008, 02:17:48 PM

McCain is done. Put it in the books.

It's kind of like when Chrispy refused to admit that Obama was wiping the floor with Hillary.

The sitting party is not going to be able to overcome what is happening with the economy. Plus, more
people trust Obama with economic issues for whatever reason.

Unless a major national security issue happens in the next five weeks, start getting used to President
Obama.

If Ron Paul had ran as an independent AND gotten into the debates, he would be getting a lot more votes
because of the economic issues. he's  the only one that seems to get it among the candidates and former
candidates.

In the past, I have posted articles that suggested that McCain could run away with the electoral win. And
gave my opinion that McCain could win. But now, I just don't see it. Unless things change, Obama will win
with a sizable advantage.

Palin was good in the Alaskan debates so don't expect a train wreck, keepon. There is obviously more
pressure here but she should be able to get through without a meltdown. But it won't matter for Mac,
either way.

Kaput!

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#29 : October 01, 2008, 02:20:43 PM

http://www.politico.com/blogs/michaelcalderone/1008/McCain_Gwen_Ifill_is_a_professional.html

Fox's Carl Cameron asked John McCain today if he thought that PBS journalist Gwen Ifill should recuse herself from moderating Thursday's VP debate in St. Louis.

"I think that Gwen Ifill is a professional, and I think she will do a totally objective job because she is a highly-respected professional," McCain said.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 17
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The VP Debate « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools