Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden on the Draft « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Larry Brackins

Starter
: January 01, 2007, 05:07:52 PM

The main thing I got from it was that he's not worried about winning tomorrow or next week. He just wants to get it right. Sounds to me that the main argument against him taking a QB might not really be an argument.
Yep. He was asked the question multiple times, and came up with the same type of answer. He's not going to do things to save his job, he's going to do things to get it right. Like you said, I don't think his job secruity will stop him from taking a QB.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

Larry Brackins

Starter
#1 : January 01, 2007, 05:02:02 PM

Some other things from the press conference:

He expressed getting pressure on the QB.
Talked about the matcup of QBs in the LSU/ND game.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 01, 2007, 05:06:32 PM

The main thing I got from it was that he's not worried about winning tomorrow or next week.  He just wants to get it right.  Sounds to me that the main argument against him taking a QB might not really be an argument.

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 01, 2007, 04:40:54 PM

“We’re in a position to draft high. We’re going to draft a heck of a football player,” Gruden said. “The guy we think is the best player available. A guy that can dominate would be great. Whether it’s a quarterback or a wideout or a defensive end, we will see. But, I’m not going to worry about we have to win tomorrow or we have to win next week. I just want to get it right. I want to get it right and not worry about all that other stuff because that will take care of itself.”

gone

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 01, 2007, 06:35:43 PM

QB, WR, DE.  Notice he didn't say OT.  I wonder if that's a ruleout on JT.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 01, 2007, 05:52:13 PM

The main thing I got from it was that he's not worried about winning tomorrow or next week. He just wants to get it right. Sounds to me that the main argument against him taking a QB might not really be an argument.
Yep. He was asked the question multiple times, and came up with the same type of answer. He's not going to do things to save his job, he's going to do things to get it right. Like you said, I don't think his job secruity will stop him from taking a QB.

Or maybe he's just playing poker.  Make teams that want to draft a QB think we are going to take one so they offer a trade to move up.  Just a thought.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 01, 2007, 06:41:03 PM

QB, WR, DE. Notice he didn't say OT. I wonder if that's a ruleout on JT.

Hopefully smokescreen logic means JT is the real target.

Generic Username

Practice Squad

#7 : January 01, 2007, 06:43:58 PM

LET'S HOPE!

#8 : January 01, 2007, 06:49:47 PM

LET'S HOPE!

escobar

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 01, 2007, 07:03:22 PM

Whichever player is the least talked about by our staff by the time the draft rolls around is probably our pick. Thinking back to when we drafted Caddy, I don't think I heard his name come out of Gruden's mouth a single time leading up to the draft. Although, when you think back to the Senior Bowl that year I believe Gruden gave Caddy one carry in the game, it's surprising to me now how obvious it was back then who we were going to take and still nobody saw it coming. Last year Joseph wasn't even on my radar and I'm certain the coaching staff didn't hint his way either.

There are going to be a TON  of rumors regarding the draft over the next few months and to me it's all going to be BS just like every other year. IMO Gruden has already started his BS campaign by stating he isnt going to think about "the next win", rather he is going to take the best player available and for the future. Everyone knows he is referring to the QB position by that statement which leads me to believe we won't be selecting one in the first round.

#10 : January 01, 2007, 07:45:12 PM

Whichever player is the least talked about by our staff by the time the draft rolls around is probably our pick. Thinking back to when we drafted Caddy, I don't think I heard his name come out of Gruden's mouth a single time leading up to the draft. Although, when you think back to the Senior Bowl that year I believe Gruden gave Caddy one carry in the game, it's surprising to me now how obvious it was back then who we were going to take and still nobody saw it coming. Last year Joseph wasn't even on my radar and I'm certain the coaching staff didn't hint his way either.

Actually, the coaches were around DJ alot during the Senior Bowl and there was an article in the Times that said the staff "loved DJ".

#11 : January 01, 2007, 07:45:42 PM

...it's surprising to me now how obvious it was back then who we were going to take and still nobody saw it coming.

Caddy was the consensus pick that year.

escobar

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 01, 2007, 07:49:17 PM

...it's surprising to me now how obvious it was back then who we were going to take and still nobody saw it coming.

Caddy was the consensus pick that year.

I disagree. Everyone and their mother thought we were taking Mike Williams. Especially after the rumor of Bruce Allen having dinner with him the night before.

escobar

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 01, 2007, 07:52:27 PM

Actually, the coaches were around DJ alot during the Senior Bowl and there was an article in the Times that said the staff "loved DJ".

I think most everyone on here was shocked last year when we took Joseph. Being mentioned by one source isn't exactly the kind of attention I'm talking about. I think before it's all said and done and draft day has arrived, every team has been linked to every player at least once through some kind of source.

OpTiOnMaStA

Practice Squad

#14 : January 01, 2007, 07:55:29 PM

I thought we were going to take Mike Williams, and then I thought we were going to take Latui or Justice. I was wrong both times.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden on the Draft « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools