Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Garcia elevated to #2? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
: October 02, 2008, 10:58:43 AM

This could be a pile of Stroud, but hey...
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/article835168.ece

TAMPA — Brian Griese has not been sacked in his past 97 passes, but that doesn't mean he should feel too comfortable in the pocket.

By all indications, the Bucs are planning to make Jeff Garcia the No. 2 quarterback for Sunday's game in Denver.

Garcia, 37, has been the inactive third quarterback since being benched after the season-opening loss at the Saints on Sept. 7.

But coach Jon Gruden has voiced his displeasure about Griese's six interceptions over his past two starts. Wednesday, Garcia took some reps with the No. 1 offense and, according to quarterbacks coach Greg Olson, had increased reps overall.

For the first time in three weeks, Luke McCown, not Garcia, remained after practice for extra work with Olson. That time is normally reserved for the No. 3 quarterback, who runs the scout team.

An announcement won't be made until one hour before kickoff Sunday.

"Jeff is coming along, and (Gruden) tries to give them all work. Some get more than others," Olson said. "Jeff got some (Wednesday), and Luke will get some, I'm sure (today).

"(Gruden) … likes to watch them and listen to them in the meeting room. We meet every day, and he meets with them every day. And he questions all of them. He's trying to see where Jeff is at right now and how he's coming along, and he's coming along good."

Wednesday, Griese said he isn't concerned about the perception that Gruden could have a quick hook if he turns the ball over. Griese has won eight of his past nine starts for the Bucs dating to 2005.

"I don't get into all that. I take it week by week," Griese said. "I think that's the only thing I can offer right now.

"We talked ad nauseam about the interceptions on Sunday. One of them was a bad read on a coverage. I wasn't expecting the guy to be there in that situation, and he made a great play. One was a telegraph. I got down in my check-down a little too early in my read. Those are things I plan on fixing."

Garcia, who threw only four interceptions last season and was named to the Pro Bowl, missed most of training camp and did not play in three preseason games because of a right calf injury. He also jammed the pinkie on his throwing hand and sprained his ankle against the Saints.

But Olson said Garcia's mobility has improved each week.

"He seems healthy now, and his legs look better," Olson said. "Even he said, 'I was watching myself in the preseason games and in the opener, and I thought, gosh, I look so slow.' So he started concentrating on the separation from the center."

The finger injury, which bothered Garcia when taking the snap, no longer is an issue.

"He was getting the snap, and something would hurt it about every third day," Olson said. "So he told me he moved his hand tighter and once he gets (the ball), he slides it out. He said, 'Now when I get it, it seems to have helped.' "

Garcia was unavailable for comment, but Olson said he has benefited from the rest.

"I think he's refreshed now," Olson said. "I think it was good for him to come back and watch Brian a little bit. Watch Brian operate and listen to Brian in the meetings rooms, and I think they've both learned a lot from one another. They've both had success in different places.

"Obviously, Brian had a ton of success in Denver when he came out and Jeff had a lot of early success in San Francisco. Both of them have managed to have the peaks and valleys, highs and lows, and they've learned a lot from each other."

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 02, 2008, 10:59:49 AM

Yep, yep, yep.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 02, 2008, 11:06:28 AM

"We talked ad nauseam about the interceptions on Sunday.

Excellent -- unfortunately SOB has probably had more than a few weeks like that...

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 02, 2008, 11:08:47 AM

Unfortunately that's who SoB is. He also games where he is very good. If we can win the games he doesn't play well in, that bodes very well for us.

Streaky might not be the best term but it'll do.

Runole

Hall of Famer
#4 : October 02, 2008, 11:11:46 AM

So who is the knuckle headed poster that absolutely asserted that Garcia would never ever start another game for Tampa?

While I still believe Griese is the starter.. I think the leash has been tightened. 

All the "BLATHER AND DRIVEL" concerning Garcia's future in Tampa most certainly has been just that!  IMHO

ufojoe

Hall of Famer

#5 : October 02, 2008, 11:12:28 AM

Glad to hear we have three healthy QBs.

I hope Griese gives Gruden no reason to go to a back-up. But in reality, we'll probably see Garcia or Luke
in there at one time or another.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 02, 2008, 11:12:54 AM

The QB situation isn't all bad to be honest. You have 3 very capable QB's to come in, who have experience, and run the O.

JavaBuc

Hall of Famer

#7 : October 02, 2008, 11:15:35 AM

Glad to hear Garcia is #2.   McCown is a pretty big drop off in my opinion.   But both Griese and Garcia are solid.

Badabing

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 02, 2008, 11:17:18 AM

Unfortunately that's who SoB is. He also games where he is very good. If we can win the games he doesn't play well in, that bodes very well for us.

Streaky might not be the best term but it'll do.

I dont remember many games where he was VERY GOOD in.  Look back to 2005 and you will see that our running game and defense just plays great for this guy.  That alone could be reason to keep him in, but if those 2 aspects dont play good, what happens then?

Dont get me wrong, Jeff doesn't LIGHT IT UP either, but at least he wont lose you the game and there is nothing I can stand worse then going to OT with the Bears when we dominated them or being down 21-20 in the 4th to the Pack when we dominated them.

We should have won these past 2 games easily and would have with Garcia, but luckily we have yet to lose a game due to Griese's errors..

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 02, 2008, 11:22:34 AM

Hey I'm on record as saying I support whomever we send out. But I'm more comfortable with Garcia and Griese than the other option.

But I know the Bucs don't care what I'm comfortable with. Call them. They'll tell you too. ;)

Runole

Hall of Famer
#10 : October 02, 2008, 11:43:27 AM

Theory: ..  Last year Garcia sat because Gruden and the physicians felt he wasn't 100% so he was rested. Garcia claims otherwise because of the competitor he is.  MEDIA GOES WILD ON THE RUST THEORY!!

He starts the playoff game, doesn't do well, Media claims rust, coaching staff and doctors have different opinion.

Garcia goes into rehab mode during the off season and during the OTA's gets dinged again.  Gruden ever mindful of the past decides to give him plenty of time to heal but Garcia throughout the pre- season is still not given the green light by doctors.

Meanwhile Griese comes in like he never left and performs extremely well in the Pre Season. Garcia misses the whole pre season but claims he is 100% ready to start the season..

Whether rust or injury Garcia, stinks up the joint against New Orleans, and Gruden decides Garcia really isn't 100 % ready for the starting role..  Old adage Starters don't lose their position due to injury in play here.

Well, the game tapes are analyzed along with practice tapes, and it is determined that Garcia still isn't quite ready so Gruden goes with Griese which results in a victory over  Atlanta , a courageous  and unbelievable win against Chicago despite turnovers( good),  and this weekend's win despite Griese nearly tossing the game away. ( should not have been close)

I think Griese is on the short leash and if he throws a couple more picks that are his fault, I believe Garcia moves back on top.

Sounds totally logical to me.  Of course I readily admit this is not the popular opinion that fills the papers and airwaves  that speaks always of ego, sabotage, favoritism, and deceit.     JMO but I don't buy it!

Just another viewpoint based on one thing.. I honestly believe Gruden and Allen only want one thing... TO WIN FOOTBALL games and whomever they think gives them the best chance will be in there.  Very simple concept which apparently is very alien to some.   I call it the common sense without all the intrigue that so many gravitate to.

kmitchell

Starter

#11 : October 02, 2008, 11:25:56 AM

I wonder if the Bears are pissed that they dumped off Griese, and he is 3-0 over here.

Lamond

Hall of Famer

#12 : October 02, 2008, 11:28:14 AM

Chicago is where skill position players go to die.

Buccapolooza

Second String

#13 : October 02, 2008, 11:29:05 AM

Just a thought, but when garcia came in last year and didn't know who his main WR's were is it possible that all he knew was that Galloway was his home run hitter, Ike was his clutch man on 3rd and if they weren't open try to hit a TE. Maybe by him being on the bench and seeing how Griese has incorporated Clayton and Bryant on more than just check downs and not only look for the big play or a dump off, if and when he comes maybe back we'll see a different Garcia then before cuz now from watching he knows he can utilize more option...

Boid Fink

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 02, 2008, 11:30:40 AM

"Just win baby!"

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Garcia elevated to #2? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools