Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why is Oklahoma ranked # 1? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

: October 05, 2008, 03:08:55 PM

They are lauded for the domination they've shown - but here are their victories:

Chatanooga 57-2 (1-5 in division II)

Cincinnati 52-26 (they are 4-1, but victories were against Eastern Kentucky, Miami (OH), Akron, and Marshall)

Washington 55-14 (0-5)

TCU 35-10 (5-1 victories against New Mexico, Stephen F Austin, Stanford Clark Society, SMU, San Diego St)

Baylor 49-17 (2-3)

I have to tell you, I am NOT an SEC fan. I am definitely NOT an Alabama/Nick Saban fan...

...But Alabama is the number one team in the Nation.

I think based on strength of schedule the Top 10 should look something like this:

1 ) Alabama
2 ) LSU
3 ) Missouri
4 ) Texas
5 ) Penn State
6 ) Oklahoma
7 ) Georgia
8 ) Florida
9 ) Brigham Young
10 ) USC

Of course:
11) Ohio State

(well, I started this thread, you didn't think I'd be completely devoid of homer-ism, did you?)

Incomparable sig by Incognito

gharen

Pro Bowler

#1 : October 05, 2008, 08:05:10 PM

We'll find out this weekend, because Colt McCoy and Texas are rolling!

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
#2 : October 05, 2008, 10:48:10 PM

Why ask why?

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#3 : October 06, 2008, 01:33:44 AM

It's this Buckeye's turn to question, imply, and ridicule the imposter status of other programs...

kmitchell

Starter

#4 : October 06, 2008, 01:48:39 AM

Fresno State should be #1.

swirless

Pro Bowler

#5 : October 06, 2008, 08:25:57 AM

Ohio State and Penn State don't need to be anywhere near the top 10 they play in a conference that is just above the MAC and the Big East

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#6 : October 06, 2008, 09:24:02 AM

It's this Buckeye's turn to question, imply, and ridicule the imposter status of other programs...

No offense, but I did think it was quite funny to hear a Buckeye fan question whether or not someone should be ranked number one even though they are undefeated but played a weak schedule.  There is absolutely no difference between Oklahoma and OSU for last few years.

Even you gotta admit, that's pretty thick irony.

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#7 : October 06, 2008, 10:48:23 AM

Biggs,.. difference is OU actually has the speed this year to play with any team in the nation.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#8 : October 06, 2008, 11:03:27 AM

Biggs,.. difference is OU actually has the speed this year to play with any team in the nation.

That may be true, but they said the same thing about OSU for the last few years.

Oklahoma will have to prove it, and Texas should be good test for them.

BucsBullsBolts

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 06, 2008, 11:10:50 AM

Ohio State and Penn State don't need to be anywhere near the top 10 they play in a conference that is just above the MAC and the Big East

Doesn't matter what conference they play in, just what pollsters think of that particular team ... Until major conferences have a healthy doseof inter-conference play each other, conference bashing is, for the most part, just partisan rambling.

Snook

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 06, 2008, 11:49:11 AM

College football's system is BROKEN... that's why Oklahoma is ranked #1.

Just think how crappy the NFL would be if the Super Bowl was determined by a media "power ranking"....

The White Tiger

Hall of Famer

#11 : October 06, 2008, 12:13:43 PM

No offense, but I did think it was quite funny to hear a Buckeye fan question whether or not someone should be ranked number one even though they are undefeated but played a weak schedule. There is absolutely no difference between Oklahoma and OSU for last few years.

Even you gotta admit, that's pretty thick irony.

Biggs - that was kind of the "tongue-in-cheak point of my post. Besides - you must have missed my grudging acknowledgement of the quality of play in the SEC...

I agree with BBB - interconference play is what is need to fix the inequity between conferences. I see OSU trying to get outside the conference and play the top competition. Then I see Oklahoma (whose coach and fans screamed loud about OSU not deserving it's rankings the past couple of years) vault to the top of the polls - with the weakest schedule I've ever seen! I've not see a schedule like it.

It actually drives the behavior when this kind of things happens!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#12 : October 06, 2008, 01:02:49 PM

Biggs - that was kind of the "tongue-in-cheak point of my post.

I guess I did miss it...my apologies.

Besides - you must have missed my grudging acknowledgement of the quality of play in the SEC...

I didn't miss that.  We SEC homers appreciate it.

Fitz66

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 08, 2008, 10:15:43 AM

thats why. 

www.Atlbucs.com
Facebook:  Atl Bucs

#14 : October 10, 2008, 04:50:33 PM

thats why. 

Never trust a girl with sunglasses on and secondly her tits are too big.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why is Oklahoma ranked # 1? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools