Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Official 2008-2009 Tampa Bay Lightning Thread « previous next »
Page: 1 2

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#15 : October 21, 2008, 01:37:41 PM

There has been so much football and baseball lately I have neglected the Bolts. Are they losing tough or getting beat?

started off with a pair of 2-1 losses, then a pair of 4-3 OT losses, and then a 1-0 shootout loss.

surprisingly, offense has been the issue:

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/oct/21/sp-lightning-hope-investment-will-start-paying-off/sports-lightning/
The Lightning threw money around this summer like an Ivy League grad with a new credit card, in hopes of creating a high-octane group of forwards.

Five games into the season, the credit limit from the $151 million doled out this summer in guaranteed salaries dedicated solely to the offense seems to have dried up.

Entering tonight's game against division-rival Atlanta, the Lightning have scored the fewest goals in the league with eight in five games and remain one of two teams without a victory. The thought-to-be high-powered power play has scored twice on 25 opportunities, the 28th-worst success rate in the league entering play on Monday.

Therein lays the irony to the early-season quandary the Lightning find themselves in. With a defense that was believed to be porous and a goaltending situation thought to be mediocre at best, Tampa Bay is near the top of the rankings when it comes to goals allowed.

Of the 12 goals the Lightning have allowed, 10 have come during regulation time and two were given up in overtime. Goaltender Mike Smith pitched a shutout on Saturday - only to come away without a win following a shootout loss - and ranks third in the league in save percentage having stopped 102 of 108 shots he has faced. The team's 2.32 goals-against average ranks seventh in the league.

Got_Spleen

Starter

#16 : October 21, 2008, 11:05:41 PM

You can't buy continuity. Hopefully that will come soon enough.

ZenBuc

Practice Squad

#17 : October 22, 2008, 03:04:22 AM

You can't buy continuity. Hopefully that will come soon enough.

exactly. the Lightning's new owner seems like the Dan Snyder of Hockey.

...well, they did get their 1st win finally. 3-2 OT over Atlanta.   But they had 2-0 lead in the 3rd and blew it. Should have never went to OT.  But, it's progress.  Game wasn't on TV, too bad, since it would have been a good night to watch with the world series not starting until Wednesday

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 28, 2008, 04:46:47 AM

Still time to turn this thing around if they can pull it together during the upcoming road trip. 

Stratobuc

Starter
#19 : December 30, 2008, 03:21:44 PM

Going for four in a row at home tonight vs. le Habs.

Go Bolts!

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#20 : December 30, 2008, 03:33:54 PM

I will be in attendance at the Capitals vs. Bolts game on Thursday sporting my new Lightning gear. I sure as hell hope they can take it to Ovechkin and Semin and the rest of the Caps.

COME ON BOLTS!!!! BEAT THOSE CANADIENS!

Got_Spleen

Starter

#21 : December 31, 2008, 10:16:08 AM

We were lucky enough to see them play the Panthers on Saturday. The effort level has definitely been up as of late and it would appear that they're buying into RT's system. I thought they didn't give a full 60 mins last night though. Smitty played his @ss off until the shootout.

Stratobuc

Starter
#22 : February 13, 2009, 12:47:29 PM

Great game against the Leafs Thurs. Night. 6-4 victory. Marty St. Louis had a goal and three assists in the first period. Wow!

NavyBuc19

Hall of Famer
#23 : February 14, 2009, 03:00:51 PM

The Lightning have deffinately seemed to turn it around on the offensive side of the game but the biggest concern of the team I have is their goaltending. Lightning are 19-25-11 so far and it is without a doubt they prolly wont make the playoffs but they have some bright spots regarding the Goaltending

Mike McKenna is 2-1 with a .91% save percentage so far this season. I think he could be a very interesting prospect behind Mike Smith. Kolzig is pretty much done with his career and I doubt we see him past the season. We have a few guys that could draw some interesting trades for (Recchi,Prospal,Malone). Defensively we need to focus on getting our team better. Mesazaros and Ranger arent bad but we need more depth at Defensemen. Granted your not going to find a Mike Green anywhere on defense for us but thats fine. Stamkos has kind of been a dissapointment considering his draft status. I figured he would have well over 10 goals and 30 points by now. But then again he is a baby out there being 18 and hopefully he can continue. I would enjoy to seeing Vinny and Marty stay with us til they retire as they are the two best Lightning players to ever worn the Bolts jersey.

Hopefully it will be good to see them compete throughout the years once we add depth to defensemen and goalies. I really like Mike Smith and McKenna as being our two goalies for the future.

O.S. Buc76

Hall of Famer

#24 : February 16, 2009, 12:42:19 AM

This season is pretty much a wash and I guess we'll see how many players we trade away at the deadline, and it's a shame because I think we all had high expectations for this team at the start but now it's - better luck next year I guess.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Official 2008-2009 Tampa Bay Lightning Thread « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools