Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden, Allen will be back in 2008 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

Larry Brackins

Starter
: January 01, 2007, 02:32:33 AM

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bucs/MGB4C70DEWE.html

TAMPA - The curtain came down on one of the most forgettable years in Bucs history on Sunday. For Jon Gruden and Bruce Allen, it meant one thing: Both are officially on the hot seat.

Tampa Bay's coach and general manager will survive not only to see the dawn of the 2007 calendar year, but also the dawn of the 2007 NFL season. Beyond that, all bets are off. Games like the one the Bucs played Sunday are the reason why.

Rotoworld is reporting the same thing:
Jon Gruden and Bucs GM Bruce Allen will not be fired this off-season.

It's good news for Tampa's offense, which can rebound with continuity and improvement at the quarterback position. Gruden and Allen enter 2007 firmly on the hot seat.

Come on BruGru, get this ship turned around.

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 01, 2007, 09:34:55 PM

I think I said the same thing weeks and weeks ago. Barring a dramatic change of heart, the owners are behind this FO/HC...for the upcoming season, anyway.

#2 : January 01, 2007, 09:35:57 PM

So basically the Glazer's do indeed have more than 1/8th a brain and 1/3rd of their teeth.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 01, 2007, 09:38:14 PM

So basically the Glazer's do indeed have more than 1/8th a brain and 1/3rd of their teeth.

Yep. They believe in the plan, and the lynchpin year in that plan is 2007. However, 2007 will determine what happens after that.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 01, 2007, 09:50:29 PM

I am a Gruden backer.  But NFL stands for Not For Long.  Realistically, Gruden has until the bye week.

The particular thing to watch is how the offensive players that Gruden drafted gel together during that first part of the season.  Caddy, Clayton, Joseph, Trueblood, Smith, Stovall and now Simms. Those are Gruden's guys.  He chose them. There is no choice but to lock Gruden's future to the performance of those guys.   

I'm not talking completely about wins and losses. I'm talking about the offense performing.

And it doesn't happen on Gruden time. It happens on NFL "Not For Long" time.   That time is up at the bye week.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 01, 2007, 09:51:34 PM

Barring a total collapse, the Glazers are not the sorts to dispatch a HC in mid-season.

#6 : January 01, 2007, 09:54:23 PM

I'm not sure Itch, Denny Green had one of the worst meltdowns this decade (that includes the post-game PC) and lasted all year, despite being 1-6 at the time. Same with Art Shell whose team get outscored three times over by ONE PLAYER in the final 11 weeks.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 01, 2007, 10:12:21 PM

Barring a total collapse, the Glazers are not the sorts to dispatch a HC in mid-season.

I don't think we know that for sure.   If the team is going nowhere I don't think anybody from the average fan on up to Glazer can have the patience to suffer through another entire year of what we went through this year.  If the Bucs offense stinks for about four or five games it will be time to bench Simms in favor of whatever backup the cat dragged in in the offseason. If the Bucs still stink three or so games after that, then at that point its time to try to do something to jump start the team, and that something is firing the coach and probably putting the interim tag on Kiffin, even if he doesn't want the permanent job.

I'm not predicting that will happen, and I hope it doesn't come to that. I like Gruden but he will sink or swim with the guys he has chosen.

XXXVII Champs

Second String

#8 : January 01, 2007, 10:44:37 PM

Really the bottom line is asses in seats (AIS).  AIS equal beer, food, parking, & t-shirt sales. This is where a lot of money is made on gameday.  The tickets are sold and will be for a long time.  If the team gets so bad that the AIS factor goes down, so does Chucky.  I don't know what money goes to the Bucs from the official NFL Bucs licensed stuff that is sold in stores, but that may be a few dollars too.

cyberdude557

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 01, 2007, 11:05:30 PM

The radio guys tomorrow are going to go bullistic. And the anti-Gruden fans are going to declare a mutiny.

Itchalot

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 01, 2007, 11:07:58 PM

I don't think so. I think its been pretty much known that Gruden wouldn't be fired, especially after the Simms signing.

karen anderson

Practice Squad

#11 : January 01, 2007, 11:15:00 PM

Nothing is a given in the NFL.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 02, 2007, 08:53:10 AM

Nothing is a given in the NFL.

Untrue.

keeponbucn

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 02, 2007, 08:56:20 AM

The Glazers won't fire Gruden mid-season, that's straight insanity. Come on now.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 02, 2007, 09:44:03 AM

Most teams fire coaches for losing, we are apparently rewarding them. 

I have no idea why this decision is cause for celebration.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden, Allen will be back in 2008 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools