Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden, Allen will be back in 2008 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 02, 2007, 09:52:57 AM

Most teams fire coaches for losing, we are apparently rewarding them. 
I have no idea why this decision is cause for celebration.

Insert "eyeroll" here.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 02, 2007, 10:00:59 AM

The Glazers won't fire Gruden mid-season, that's straight insanity. Come on now.

You never fire a coach mid-season. It never helps so why bother plus even thought Gruden can't seem to do it some coaches can actually turn around a sinking season.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 02, 2007, 10:07:50 AM

Most teams fire coaches for losing, we are apparently rewarding them.
I have no idea why this decision is cause for celebration.

Insert "eyeroll" here.

You have different reasons for cheering for a team than I do, that is for sure.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 02, 2007, 10:08:58 AM

You have different reasons for cheering for a team than I do, that is for sure.

I cheer for them because they are my favorite team. I cheered for them when they were 0-14. What's your reason?

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 02, 2007, 10:20:15 AM

I cheer for the team, not the coach.  I am a season ticket holder, and I live in Ohio, and have been around since the days of Owens and Hedberg.

The team is not improving, they are regressing in all phases. They need a change in leadership.  Gruden was an excellent coach under the circumstances in 2002.  He is a poor coach for the circumstances the team is in today.  You can elect to lay blame for McKay, but that doesnt change the fact that the team is not the 2002 team.  This team needs a pure football coach and personnel man who brings more to the table than Gruden and Allen. 

Great coaches don't go 4-12, period.  Great coaches never, ever have 3 losing seasons out of 4.  Gruden is not a great, or even good coach right now.  No hate, no conspiricies.  He just needs to go. 

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 02, 2007, 10:22:20 AM

I cheer for the team, not the coach.  I am a season ticket holder

At least on these two points we are the same.

He just needs to go. 

And yet he isn't. Get used to it for at least another season.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 02, 2007, 10:32:14 AM

I do not necessarily agree with the Glazers decision.  With that said the Glazers have made for the most part good decisions when it comes to running the Bucs organization so I am not about to doubt them.

I do not think they have turned into the Rooney's all of sudden but it appears they are willing to stick it out with their plan for the long term.  The short term does matter to the Glazers as that was the reason Gruden was brougnt in the first place.  But it is apparent that they are taking a wait and see approach.  I am not sure when they will run out of patience but right now after the season the Bucs had they look very patient in my opinion to let the plan run its course.

Had the Glazers fired Gruden I am sure some people would be doubting them right now anyways.  So no matter what decision they would have made they can not win with some fans (Grudenistas/Pro Gruden versus Anti Gruden/Haters of Jon).   But the Glazers are about business. They want the Bucs to win on the field during the regular not win in the off-season.  I hope they are right.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 02, 2007, 10:34:17 AM

I am not sure when they will run out of patience

As I have stated before: 2008 and beyond will be determined based on the outcome and direction set in 2007. Another 4-12 campaign will surely mean a replacement will be made.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 02, 2007, 10:36:24 AM

Great coaches don't go 4-12, period.  Great coaches never, ever have 3 losing seasons out of 4.  Gruden is not a great, or even good coach right now.  No hate, no conspiricies.  He just needs to go. 

A fact people seem willing to blithely ignore is that how low that is and even in a hugely disappointing season the Steelers were still 8-8 and notice they lost a bunch of guys in FA, had lousy draft picks and had injuries...all the usual suspects.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 02, 2007, 10:44:21 AM

Great coaches don't go 4-12, period. Great coaches never, ever have 3 losing seasons out of 4. Gruden is not a great, or even good coach right now. No hate, no conspiricies. He just needs to go.

A fact people seem willing to blithely ignore is that how low that is and even in a hugely disappointing season the Steelers were still 8-8 and notice they lost a bunch of guys in FA, had lousy draft picks and had injuries...all the usual suspects.

These folks are fans of Gruden and Allen, which is 100% their right.

However, the Bucs are not going to get better with the current leadership.  When you spend the 5th pick on the draft on a RB, then the following seasons #1, and #2 on OLinemen, and you finish 29th in rushing, your leader's plans are ineffective.  When you spend your last three #1's on offensive players, and your best offensive player by a wide, wide, wide margin is 35 years old, then your leader's plans are not effective. 

They say that the definition of insanity is doing the exact same action and hoping for a different result.  Keeping Gruden and Allen and hoping for different results is just that, insane.   

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 02, 2007, 10:46:33 AM

These folks are fans of Gruden and Allen, which is 100% their right.

In your own mind, anyhow.

Keeping Gruden and Allen and hoping for different results is just that, insane.   

Give the crazy Glazer sons a call right now and let them know exactly how insane you think they are.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 02, 2007, 10:52:14 AM

CurtR1995

I can not disagree with what you have pointed out except for one thing.  The Glazers have not shown to make bad business decisions thus far.  Maybe this will end up being a hiccup for them and a huge pain for us as fans.

But I can not doubt the Glazers right now if that is the direction they choose to go.  And I would not doubt them either if they fired Gruden.

#27 : January 02, 2007, 11:50:13 AM

Why does this thread say they'll be back in 2008?

CurtR1995

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 02, 2007, 11:43:47 AM

You are right, this is a business.  And in the US, the business is run by a free market. 

In Cleveland, fans essentially either go the game or shovel snow.  In Tampa, you have a much different set of options.  If the product on the field isnt compelling enough, fans wont spend their income on tickets, hats, shirts, and yes, pewter reports.  You can't make much of an argument that Gruden's team is compelling in wins or in entertainment value.   

I am not sure the Glazer's understand football, but I can assure you they understand the business of wallets that will be less full than the previous year. 

Bucsvp

Rookie

#29 : January 02, 2007, 11:59:12 AM

I hope Cummings is wrong and the Glazers are still considering canning Gruden. I think it's possible they might have learned from their mistakes when they fired Dungy and are waiting until they have a new coach signed on the dotted line before firing the one they have. Perhaps after the superbowl we'll know for sure.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden, Allen will be back in 2008 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools