Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who is this new safety Straight « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
: October 11, 2006, 05:49:55 PM

we got on waivers from the Jets?

And who did we cut?

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#1 : October 11, 2006, 05:53:35 PM

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493078

3rd round 2004 draft, #76 overall

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#2 : October 11, 2006, 05:55:03 PM

Draft Profile:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/derrick_strait

Derrick Strait
Position: Cornerback   
College: Oklahoma 
Height: 5-11 
Weight: 189 
Hometown: Austin, Texas 

Analysis | Agility | High School | Personal

OVERVIEW
Durability and high production are just two of this outstanding coverage cornerback's traits … A student of the game who will spend countless hours in the film room preparing for his next opponent, Strait has been a model of consistency and durability for the Sooners, holding the school record by starting in 53 games (includes bowls in 2000 and 2001), breaking the previous mark of 49 contests by Jeff Ferguson (1998-2001) … The Jim Thorpe Award and Nagurski Award winner also holds the school season record as he recovered five fumbles (all led to Sooners scoring drives) in his final season … Recorded 264 tackles (180 solos) with two sacks for minus-11 yards, 15 stops for losses of 50 yards and a pair of quarterback pressures … Only Zac Henderson (291, 1974-77) and Gana Joseph (297, 1996-98) had more tackles in a career by a Sooners defensive back … His 15 stops behind the line of scrimmage rank third among Oklahoma defensive backs on OU's all-time record chart … Set another school career record with 54 pass deflections … His 14 interceptions for 397 yards (28.4 avg.) broke the Big 12 Conference's career records, topping the old Big 12 marks of 13 pass thefts by Dyshod Carter of Kansas State (1997-2000) and 186 yards by Bobby Walker of Kansas State (2001-02) … His 397 yards also broke the old Big 8 Conference record of 353 yards by Rod Smith of Oklahoma State (1986-89) … His three interception returns for touchdowns tied the old Big 8 and Big 12 records set by several players (last by Walker).
ANALYSIS
Positives: Has a lean, angular frame that can add at least 10 more pounds with no loss of quickness … Very quick to read and diagnose plays, showing the ability to recognize the routes developing instantly … Has good pass coverage skills with the ability to jump on the receiver's hip and run with the opponent stride-for-stride on deep routes … Very crisp in and out of his breaks, showing good hand usage to redirect and jolt his assignment in press coverage … Has a smooth, low backpedal, staying in control when turning, showing the mirroring ability to stay close on the receiver … Very effective zone defender who makes quick adjustments and gets good depth in his cushion … Quick to break on the ball and gets good hand placement to prevent separation in the second level … Takes proper angles to the ball and has a keen knack for locating the pigskin (high amount of fumble recoveries, setting a school record) … Anticipates the running back's moves around the corner, showing no hesitation to step up in run support … Gets an excellent jump on the ball in flight, maintaining concentration while looking the ball in and keeping track of the receiver … Despite his light frame, he is not afraid to mix it up in the trenches … Very good at doing the "extra" things needed in practice, the film room and weight room to improve his ability (team-first guy, called a coach on the field by the Sooners staff) … Loves the challenge of facing up against the opponent's top receiver … Has the strength to play off blocks and the explosion to quickly break on the ball … Has the range to make up speed by taking good angles to the ball … His foot balance allows him to easily flip and turn coming out of his backpedal … Excels at riding the hip of the receiver and using the sidelines for help (gets his hands under the receiver's jersey to get a quick push that knocks his man out of bounds).
Negatives: Needs to add bulk and strength to his frame … Willing tackler, but does not have the strength to be anything more than an arm tackler (needs wrap-up tackling technique refinement) … Seems to hesitate a bit when asked to fill the rush lanes (gets there late, but does show willingness) … Has much better coverage skills than tackling ability.

AGILITY TESTS
4.43 in the 40-yard dash … 39½-inch vertical jump.
HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Lanier (Austin, Texas) High, playing football for coach Wade Johnson … Texas Top 100 pick by the Houston Chronicle and a Max Emfinger National Top 500 selection … Saw action as a quarterback, defensive back and running back during his final season … Rushed for 1,439 yards and 17 touchdowns as a senior, recording eight runs of 20 or more yards, including one of 81 yards and also threw three scoring passes … Had 118 tackles (52 solos), one sack, two forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries, 11 pass deflections and two interceptions on defense … Returned one fumble 42 yards for a touchdown … Combined for more than 1,500 yards as a junior (790 passing and 712 rushing).
PERSONAL
Sociology major … Son of Brenda Strait and Rodney Greene … Born Aug. 27, 1980 … Resides in Austin, Texas.

#3 : October 11, 2006, 05:57:13 PM

oh wow, I didn't know we got him, he's s a speedster

corruptpirate

Pro Bowler

#4 : October 11, 2006, 06:04:06 PM

The guy may be good in coverage but the last thing this team needs at S is an arm tackler.

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
#5 : October 11, 2006, 06:10:35 PM

Did we cut Warren? I hop, I hope, I hope.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#6 : October 11, 2006, 06:11:58 PM

I would have rather we signed Kenny Peterson, who was signed by Denver today...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2621386

#7 : October 11, 2006, 06:13:59 PM

long-snapper Andrew Economos was placed on injured reserve

per Bucs.com

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#8 : October 11, 2006, 06:14:35 PM

we got on waivers from the Jets?

And who did we cut?

long-snapper Andrew Economos was placed on injured reserve

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?newsid=5416

I wonder if there is some strategy to this move...  Maybe Moore retires this year and they feel Economos will take over, and this will keep him off somebody else's roster?  I really wish Jolley could win that job and save us a roster spot.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#9 : October 11, 2006, 06:23:18 PM

Strait is a player that fits the scheme the Bucs want to run.  I am not so sure if he was brought in to play safety.  Considering the Bucs already converted Blue Adams to play safety from cornerback I think  Strait may end up playing corner.  Maybe I could be wrong on that.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#10 : October 11, 2006, 06:25:02 PM

Strait is a player that fits the scheme the Bucs want to run. I am not so sure if he was brought in to play safety. Considering the Bucs already converted Blue Adams to play safety from cornerback I think they will Strait may end up playing corner. Maybe I could be wrong on that.

He played a lot of nickle with NYJ, I believe. 

Larry Brackins

Starter
#11 : October 11, 2006, 06:27:31 PM

I like the move.

5-11 190 is a bit small for a safety isn't it? I thought he was a CB?

#SaveUsJohnnyFootball

140BPM

Practice Squad

#12 : October 11, 2006, 06:33:41 PM

Zemaitis and Strait may be your future CB tandem.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#13 : October 11, 2006, 06:34:43 PM

I like the move.

5-11 190 is a bit small for a safety isn't it? I thought he was a CB?

He has played both.  But in my opinion he is best suited to play corner.  Especially for this defensive system.  Slowly but surely the Bucs are making changes to the defensvie roster.  I would not be shocked if at some Charles Bennet and/or Anthony Bryant are promoted.  If the losses continue to pile up the Bucs will have to start playing a lot of these younger players on D and see what they have.  Strait may end up being a serviceable cornerback for the Tampa 2 and I am interested in seeing how Zemaitis fares as well.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#14 : October 11, 2006, 07:00:42 PM

I would not be opposed to seeing Bolden play safety. 
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who is this new safety Straight « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools