Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: My 2006 "Awards" « previous next »
Page: 1 2

SamoaJoeBucFan

Starter

: January 01, 2007, 02:40:30 PM

Based on play on the field DPOY is Merriman.  He is an absolute monster.  Reminds me alot of 2000's Ray Lewis.  However, I would not give him the award.  It is an award for good performance.  He used performance enhancers.  Therefore, DPOY goes to Jason Taylor or Champ Bailey.

I would agree with all of this.  I don't think Tennessee will win their division next year, but I think they will be a wild card.  They are definitely a team to look out for in 2007.

#1 : January 01, 2007, 11:31:37 AM

n a 4-12 season, deciding on which award goes where can be tedious where the Buccaneers are concerned. Other NFL "trophies" are not quite as difficult. Besides, it is not anything official, rather one person's thoughts to share with other fans.

The following are the 2006 Bounty Awards as I see them.....

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

MVP - Joey Galloway - At age 35, Galloway had another superb year for the Bucs. Consider the carousel of QB's that wandered onto the field for Tampa Bay, and his numbers are all the more impressive. And with any QB stability, they could have been even better. Galloway caught 62 passes for 1057 yards (17.0 ypc) and seven touchdowns.

Rookie of the Year - Davin Joseph - The Bucs' number one overall pick appeared in 13 games, starting 12 of them. Unofficially, he was responsible for only 2 sacks on Buc QB's, and appears set to anchor the right guard position for years to come.

Goat of the Year - Michael Clayton - Since his rookie splash in 2004, Clayton has regressed severely the past 2 seasons. In 2006, it seems he led the world in dropped passes. Whether his ussue is physical or mental, Clayton is approaching the status of being a draft bust. Only a complete turnaround in 2007 can remove that potential label. The dropped pass vs. Pittsburgh for a sure touchdown capsulates Clayton's entire 2006 campaign.

Player to watch in 2007 - WR Maurice Stovall - Catching only 7 passes in 2006 is not much to put on your resume. But considering his lack of time on the field, it is not surprising to see such a low number. But the last 2 games of the 2006 season saw Stovall get more action and gave us a glimpse of what his potential is. The Bucs are merely a stable player at the QB position away from making Stovall a star in the league. At 6'4" and 230 lbs. , Stovall is a large target that appears to have soft hands. I am looking forward to a lot more from him in 2007.

Bucs Coach of the Year - ST Coach Richard Bisaccia - Much maligned in recent seasons, Bisaccia coached the top kick return unit in the NFL in 2006. These numbers are bit skewed by the fact that Tampa Bay kicked off just 46 times in 2006, mainly due to their non-scoring offense. Still, the unit had an excellent season.

OTHER NFL AWARDS

NFL Rookie of the Year - Maurice Jones-Drew, Jacksonville Jaguars - This was a tough choice. Arguments could be made for QB Vince Young in Tennessee or Marques Colston of New Orleans. But considering the fact that Jones-Drew shared carries with Fred Taylor, his performance was top notch. Finishing the year with 941 yards on just 166 carries is impressive. Then add his 13 rushing touchdowns into the mix. Jones-Drew also had 46 pass receptions for 436 yards and 2 touchdowns.

NFL Coach of the Year - Eric Mangini, New York Jets - There were many candidates deserving of this one. Others that could have easily been considered include Jeff Fisher, Andy Reid, Lovie Smith, Sean Payton, and Mike Nolan. Mangini's Jets won a surprising 10 games in 2006, enroute to a berth in the post-season. Picked by many to win as few as 3 games this season, Mangini led a marginal group of "stars" to a second-place finish in the AFC East.

NFL Jerk of the Year - Terrell Owens, Dallas- This pick was all too easy. For the 3rd time in the last 4 season, Owens has managed to disrupt his team and piss off coaches and teammates alike. He has re-defined the term "cancer" in more ways than you can shake a stick at. His self-serving, self-promoting, assholio self continues to get worse and worse each season. The idiot is bad for the sport, bad for the league, and possesses a terminal disease that should be banished from the league. What is so sad about it all is that the guy is such a talent. But he will never bring himself to the point of being a team player that keeps his "Grand Canyon"-sized mouth shut.

NFL MVP - LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego - This pick could be made before blinking. Tomlinson is easily the hands-down winner of this award. Another solid effort in 2006 saw him rush for 1815 yards and 28 touchdowns. On 348 carries, he averaged 5.2 yards per tote. Fifty six catches for 508 yards and 3 touchdowns only add to his glittering numbers. But just for good measure, Tomlinson also completed 2 of his 3 pass attempts as well, both going for touchdowns. Simply put, LaDainian Tomlinson is the best player in the National Football League.

Teams to Watch in 2007 - Tennessee Titans, San Francisco 49er's. I am going on record today, stating that both of these teams win their division in 2007.

Final Regular-Season Bounty "Power Poll"

TOP 5

1. San Diego Chargers
2. Baltimore Ravens
3. New Orleans Saints
4. New England Patriots
5. Philadelphia Eagles

BOTTOM 5

1. Oakland Raiders
2. Cleveland Browns
3. Detroit Lions
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
5. Houston Texans

Sadly, it is now almost 4 months before the draft and 9 months before the regular season returns.

#2 : January 01, 2007, 11:33:24 AM

Nice, I agree on most of your awards, including ROY and player to watch, .

Tampa Bay Todd

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 01, 2007, 12:03:33 PM

Prefer, you mean top kick return coverage unit don't you? Don't think the Bucs kickoff returns were that much to write home about this year. Plus, Devin Hester likely has done more for the Bears so they probably are in the top of the league I would guess.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 01, 2007, 12:16:44 PM

MVP - Joey Galloway - At age 35, Galloway had another superb year for the Bucs. Consider the carousel of QB's that wandered onto the field for Tampa Bay, and his numbers are all the more impressive. And with any QB stability, they could have been even better. Galloway caught 62 passes for 1057 yards (17.0 ypc) and seven touchdowns.

Joey did have a great year, but I still think we should have traded him for a high draft pick to a playoff contender before the deadline.  Coming off great numbers from last year, and with a few playoff teams short on WR talent, I think we could have traded him for great value next year.  It's not like we needed him this year, anyway.

Rookie of the Year - Davin Joseph - The Bucs' number one overall pick appeared in 13 games, starting 12 of them. Unofficially, he was responsible for only 2 sacks on Buc QB's, and appears set to anchor the right guard position for years to come.

This is really sad, considering all the huge rookie contributions we've seen around the league this year.  This was a phenominal draft class.

#5 : January 01, 2007, 12:17:23 PM

Chicago defense has tanked [no pun there] and their QB position is in dire straits.

#6 : January 01, 2007, 12:22:32 PM

Nice write Prefer. Love your Rookie of the Year pick... can't see why he's been so overlooked by the media.

My coach of the year goes to Sean Peyton. What he's done with the culture surrounding the "aints" is nothing short of amazing.

NFL MVP is LT... Stevie Wonder could see that.

And to add one to your selections, i go with controversial "lights out" Shawn Merriman for Defensive Player of the year.

I like your teams to watch as well but as for your team rankings, i put the Ravens up top as Superbowl Champs.

#7 : January 01, 2007, 12:25:36 PM

And to add one to your selections, i go with controversial "lights out" Shawn Merriman for Defensive Player of the year.
I'd say Champ Bailey should edge Merriman in that category.

BucsGuru

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 01, 2007, 12:28:06 PM

I agree with the exception to Rookie of the Year.  I will go with Vince Young, hands down.  I also have the Ravens winning the Superbowl.  There is no doubt about the 49ers next year, as well as the Rams.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 01, 2007, 12:34:16 PM

I'm still not sold on Alex Smith, the Niners might have a Joey Harrington type player on their hands.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

#10 : January 01, 2007, 12:37:38 PM

I'm still not sold on Alex Smith, the Niners might have a Joey Harrington type player on their hands.

Have you watched him play this year? Norv Turner has made a night and day difference in him from last year. Get him some weapons as wideouts and he should be fine.

#11 : January 01, 2007, 12:44:21 PM

I'd say Champ Bailey should edge Merriman in that category.
Seriously don't give that award to a freaking roider..Taylor, Bailey, Urlacher, whoever, but not a freaking juicer.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 01, 2007, 12:47:20 PM

Have you watched him play this year? Norv Turner has made a night and day difference in him from last year. Get him some weapons as wideouts and he should be fine.

I've seen him, watched a lot of him since he was one of my FFL QB's. He's made strides, but he'd have to from last year, I'm just not sure he's got another step in him and that's why I made the Joe-Ha comparision. He's gotten better but I didn't see him take those big strides at the end of the year you usually see the good ones make heading into next year.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

#13 : January 01, 2007, 12:47:41 PM

Seriously don't give that award to a freaking roider..Taylor, Bailey, Urlacher, whoever, but not a freaking juicer.

Surely Merriman isn't the only guy in the league that has tried to get an edge? I go by what i see on the field and between the lines, he's the most dominant defensive player that i've seen since Ray Lewis was in his prime.

#14 : January 01, 2007, 12:49:27 PM

Surely Merriman isn't the only guy in the league that has tried to get an edge? I go by what i see on the field and between the lines, he's the most dominant defensive player that i've seen since Ray Lewis was in his prime.
I didn't say he was, but he got caught...you've got to make him an example or what stops other guys from juicing who previously weren't.
Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: My 2006 "Awards" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools