Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Doesn't Earnest Graham Get Any Respect...From Gruden and our "Fans"? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

yuccaneers

Hall of Famer
#30 : October 07, 2008, 02:06:17 PM

The Bucs have either lead or were tied heading into half time of every game this season so there was no reason not to come out in the second half and truly establish a running game

In Football, RESPECT is never given freely by your opponent. It must be TAKEN from them...VIOLENTLY

Great players cost a lot of money but help win games. High-priced players - a byproduct of poorly run front offices with bad scouting departments - only cost a lot of money.
"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Oliver Goldsmith

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#31 : October 07, 2008, 02:07:14 PM

To get Graham 20 rushing attempts, the defense will need to score 3 touchdowns a game for fans to see Graham used that much.

Dunn is not doing anything to recommend less carries...

I'm all for bumping up Graham's carries and still letting Dunn keep his carries, too. Around 33-35 rushing attempts per game total.

It looks like Gruden is trying to split up the work pretty evenly...

Mistake.

Dunn is averaging 5.1 yds. per carry...on the list of mistakes, that's kind of down there...

Graham is averaging 5.9 yards per carry.

It is obvious who should be receiving a greater amount of carries.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#32 : October 07, 2008, 02:12:57 PM

Graham is averaging 5.9 yards per carry.

It is obvious who should be receiving a greater amount of carries.

Yes, we've got two very productive backs back there...consider us fortunate...

I get what you're saying, but again Dunn's not really doing anything to demote himself...

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#33 : October 07, 2008, 02:49:00 PM

The least of the Bucs problems is which back should be getting more carries other than the answer....both of them.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

Agent Orange

Starter

#34 : October 07, 2008, 03:04:04 PM

There are so many things wrong with that post I don't know where to begin.

1. The fans love Earnest Graham, how couldn't you love a guy who's gone from rags to riches and outperformed a top 5 pick?

Read the message boards from this offseason. There are plenty of fans who were pushing for Caddy and/or Dunn or anybody else we could bring in. I sat there reading many posts saying Graham was a one hit wonder last year. It continues, just do a search.

2. Graham has never proven he can go the distance, like most power backs he needs a COP back to spell him

He's never been given the chance. I don't ever remember Graham getting weaker as the game went on. He always gets stronger imo. Actually in games where he's gotten 20 or more touches he's gotten 100 yards or more 6/7 times.

3. In a few of those games he got most of his yards on 1 carry

Many top backs do this. Graham actually gets 4-5 yards on most of his carries. That's what the best part of watching him is. He actually doesn't pull a Dunn where he breaks off a couple big runs but loses 2 on 3/4 plays. I'm not sure who you've been watching.

4. Most of the time Gruden will start throwing the ball to get back into the game, plus with Graham it seems like he usually picks up 4-5 yards then gets stuffed at the line on the next play

Again, I'm not sure which team you've been watching. We have only been behind and trying to throw in 1 game against Chicago. Fact is Gruden just gives up on the run just like he did in the playoff game when Graham was breaking off 4-5 ypc. Would you give up on the pass because your QB throws an incomplete pass?

5. Please spare us the Alstott garbage if you want to be taken seriously

It's only garbage if you don't believe it. It is very obvious to the people who don't blindly support Gruden that he completely wasted Alstott's talent while pushing his guys Pittman and Williams.

We were behind in NO
We were behind in Chicago
We were behind in Denver..
operantly you are watching the wrong freaking games and you fail!
Guess they are holding him hostage like Simms right?
You know the dude who just got cut for a freaking punter!

New Orleans-

Now you're just making things up to suit your point. In New Orleans we were never down by more than 7. They scored 7 then we had our offense out on the field and ran Graham 1 time for 3 yards on 1st down then went straight to the pass for the 3 and out. Then we got the INT for the TD to tie the score. Then after the D got the ball back for us again Graham got 0 carries while Dunn got 1 on 1st down for 1 yard after a reception by Dunn. Again, Graham got 0 carries and we were tied. Then after the defense held again and Graham got the ball on 1st down for a 14 yard gain. Then we went to the pass and got a holding call, then sent a draw to Graham on 2nd and 20 for 5 and then Garcia was sacked. Once again going to the pass killed the drive. Just run the damn ball! After we got the ball back we ran Graham for 5, then got the 1st through a short pass!!! Then ran Graham for 5 again., followed by another short pass for the 1st...see a trend here? Then we go to Dunn on 1st down for 1 yard and the 15 yard personal foul against Trueblood kills the drive.

BTW, I see a trend. We got the ball back before the half and drove down tied at 7 and were on NO's 26 with 23 seconds to go. We ran Dunn for 6, called the timeout and kicked the FG to go into half up by 3!

Our 1st drive of the 2nd half had two big penalties, and one Graham run. We held on defense again getting the ball back at our 22. We threw 3 straight times for the 3 and out. They tied the score on the next possession 10-10. Then thanks to Graham's 46 yard run followed by two Dunn runs and an incomplete pass we went ahead 13-10. Then a long pass for a TD put them up by 4 13-17. We still had 13 seconds to go in the 3rd quarter yet Graham only got 1 carry on the TD drive. So at that point we're up 3 again 20-17. Bush scores on the BS non holding call/he stepped out of bounds 42 yd run and they're up 4 again with 7:38 to go putting them up 20-24. This is where you want to run the clock and move down the field and score. You've got Graham in the 4th quarter in a battle which he will win. What did we do......we ran Graham zero times again and ran Dunn(hello, it's the 4th quarter and he's small!) twice while blowing our final timeout and getting zero points. Once again our D gets us the ball back with 2:24 to go which of course is the only real time in the game where we had to go to the pass. 2:24 in the whole game where we have got to pass. I think you might want to rewatch that game dude.

Chicago-Only game where we needed to pass because we were behind as I mentioned above.

Denver-Come on man, I'm not even going to waste my time going though this game with Graham blowing up a huge ypc and us never being down until the middle of the 3rd quarter by 7. Once that happened we went straight to the pass. We still had a quarter and a half to go and we're running all over them yet Gruden's next two offensive series were 1 Graham run and a bunch of passing and penalties along with 2 Dunn runs for 1 yard. They of course take advantage and get another field goal going up by 10 12:24 (plenty of time left) in the 4th quarter. Of course Graham ran the ball only 2 times for 17 yards on the final TD drive to tie it.

You either run the ball or you don't. It is obvious that we do not run the ball enough. When you're on the road, chewing up clock and wearing out the defense is very important. We do it well, much better then we throw, so why do we continue to throw the ball around like we're the Colts? Answer: Boy Blunder calling the plays

Agent Orange

Starter

#35 : October 07, 2008, 03:08:37 PM

To get Graham 20 rushing attempts, the defense will need to score 3 touchdowns a game for fans to see Graham used that much.

I'm all for bumping up Graham's carries and still letting Dunn keep his carries, too.  Around 33-35 rushing attempts per game total.

I would be fine with this as long as we're not running Dunn up the gut on 1st or 2nd down. The majority of the time its for a loss, no gain or a gain of 1. Look at the play by play. Dunn should be used, and is supposed to be used, as our 3rd down back. He's doing a fine job. I just see no reason not to fake it to Graham up the middle on 1st down and toss screen to Dunn rather then run Dunn up the middle. It's just not an effective playcall. Yes, every once in a while he'll break one but most of the time it forces you to throw on 2nd and 3rd down which isn't good with this group.

sammy8887

Hall of Famer

#36 : October 07, 2008, 03:13:39 PM

I'm all for bumping up Graham's carries and still letting Dunn keep his carries, too. Around 33-35 rushing attempts per game total.

I would be fine with this as long as we're not running Dunn up the gut on 1st or 2nd down. The majority of the time its for a loss, no gain or a gain of 1. Look at the play by play. Dunn should be used, and is supposed to be used, as our 3rd down back. He's doing a fine job. I just see no reason not to fake it to Graham up the middle on 1st down and toss screen to Dunn rather then run Dunn up the middle. It's just not an effective playcall. Yes, every once in a while he'll break one but most of the time it forces you to throw on 2nd and 3rd down which isn't good with this group.

Since we're getting specific, opening drive had Graham for 3 yards, Graham for 1 yard, Graham catch for 5 yards, punt...

Not the way to set the tone...

Agent Orange

Starter

#37 : October 07, 2008, 03:18:14 PM

Since we're getting specific, opening drive had Graham for 3 yards, Graham for 1 yard, Graham catch for 5 yards, punt...

Not the way to set the tone...

3rd and 6 is manageable though. We didn't get the 1st but we are normally going to be in a good position. I'm not saying use Graham on every down, I'm just saying use him more. In good field position we go for it on 3rd and 1 and 9/10 times we get the 1st also so it's not bad. I also notice less penalties when we're running Graham.

Simms2Clayton05

Practice Squad

#38 : October 07, 2008, 06:03:49 PM

I dont think they dont respect him. I just think he could be used more. The dude gets positive yards almost every carry. Our WRs suck, so why not just give it to Graham and Dunn more.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why Doesn't Earnest Graham Get Any Respect...From Gruden and our "Fans"? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools